Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

budapest

• 12-03-2009 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Just a quick question on weather anyone has been there before and what is there to do there. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

Weather wasn't bad when i was there this time last year, needed a jacket but was dry!
    As for things to do, there's alot of history stuff about stalin etc. - which didn't particular interest me but mr.country gurl loved it. The jewish church was quite interesting though. There is a bar near there on the left hand side where alot of other europeans go, good craic there that night anyway. (don't know if its an irish bar). There's nice foodhall there where you get a peek into their culture. Buda Castle was quite nice. Didn't get to try out the thermal baths. Their wine is lovely and food is quite like ours. Make sure you eat lots of cake! There is a museum i don't know what it's called but it's down near the river, don't go into it unless u like stuffed animals, very old musty stuffed animals.
    The one thing I do insist you do is if you are on a bus make sure you have a valid ticket, we thought we had a valid ticket and the conducter went mental at us, we tried to explain we didnt understand the system and that we had bought a ticket just not the right one, but she didnt speak english and we didnt speak hungarian, and she kept shouting in our faces in hungarian about a fine or something and a british guy just whispered jump off at the next stop and leg it otherwise the police are waiting if you stay on. So we did.
    The local people are ok, not that friendly tbh but then why should they be!
    Anyway overall it was good and very pretty city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

It's an OK city. I found it to be very quiet, not too many people on the streets, it seems to lack a proper centre where all the people are. There's a lot of very rude people in Budapest. I think Prague is a far far nicer city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

TBH I loved Budapest. Went last year while interailing. Found the people great and the city itself lovely. Brilliant nightlife too, if you find the right places. Money is a bit of a pain to use though. €400 is about the same as 100,000 of there money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm another Budapest fan.

I think country_gurl was thinking of the Central Market, and it's worth a visit. And yes, she is right about tickets on public transport: they are very strict. You can buy a pass that is good for a number of days, and it's good value.

I like walking around, seeing the city and the life. There are some very nice parks, which I enjoy. Climb Gellert Hill for a stunning view of the city.

The House of Terror on Andrassy ut (the principal thoroughfare) recalls the impact of WW2 and the subsequent communist regime. Sobering, but informative.

I see comments on this form about rudeness in Budapest similar to those made by SheroN. It's not my experience. It might be that they are not as informal as the Irish, but I find that politeness and a smile seems to work very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

moved from travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

ok so the best of budapest:

well first off I would recommend visiting some thermal baths while you are here, but do so at the end of the day cause it's nice for relaxing after a day of walking. The best baths in Budapest in my opinion are the szechenyi ones in city park, they're 2200 ft which is about 9 euro, but depending upon how long you spend there, you get a refund, anything from 4 euro to 2 euro. You can get there on the yellow metro line it has it's own stop

Sightseeing wise a must is a visit to St.Stephens Basilica which is absolutly beautiful, it's a 5 minute walk from erzsabet ter which is beside deak ferenc ter (pretty much the city centre), the fishermans bastion and castle hill in general is also beautiful, and you can get there with the red metro line just go to moszkova ter, margit island is lovely for walking on if it's a nice day and it has it's own tram stop on the 4, 6 tram line(the MAIN tram line), the parliament is along the river and it is also a beautiful building, there is also heroes square (hosok ter) which is near the szechenyi baths and there are two art museums right next to the square.

My favourite hungarian restaurant is on a tram stop along the 4,6 line, the baross utca stop near rakoczi ter, it's called Stex Haz and it's across the road from the mc donalds, good food and cheap, budapest has a lot of really great restaurants

the market hall is something you should also see, it's at the end of Vaci utca, which is the main touristy street. If you like Jazz then there is a jazz bar called fat mo's on a street off vaci utca it's Nyári Pál utca.

the city is beautiful to walk around at night and safe! you should climb gellert hill at night, at say 10 or so and look at the city from there, it's an amazing view.

Ok some cool clubs and cafe's well i recommend starting off in Szimpla which is on Kazinczy utca, off Rakozci Ut, look out for the yellow sign because it's just a doorway so you have to keep an eye out for it, here's the website http://www.szimpla.hu/index_en.htm

then for a late night head to west balkan which is also hard to find but here's what you should do: go to the corvin cinema which is on the 4,6 line (stop ulloi ut) and also on the blue metro (ferenc korut), now it is a few minutes walk from the corvin

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?q=Budapest,+Hungary+(budapest)&hl=en&ie=UTF8&om=1&msa=0&ll=47.487151,19.072759&spn=0.007381,0.020084&z=16&msid=103758346425890366667.000001128469f2295295b

have a nice time, it's a brilliant city

Advertisement