Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookie shop haggling?

Options
  • 12-03-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey if i went to paddy power and my horse was 12/1 but i knew he was 14/1 a couple of hours ago and the same price still at ladbrookes could i ask at the counter for 14/1???:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Not unless you want to be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

thedini wrote: »
    Not unless you want to be pointed at and laughed at.

Just fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dont mind these two posters , a lot of bookies match prices. NO HARM IN ASKING ! You wont be laughed at .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

independant bookie near me no prob haggling
    especially if its a double or treble often adds half a point or a full point
    depends how you go about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

i would definetly try it with an independent bookie!! in fact ive done it on a few long term sports bets and got better odds:D but i wouldnt dare do it in a bigger bookies like PP or boyles:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

For the Regulars in the shop where, I work if an accum came to 7 1/2 to 1 lets say, we would give them 8/1 because lets face it half a point won't break the bank.

However on a horse it's a different story because if you want 14/1 even though the last time it was 14 to 1 a few hours previous, the computer logs how late the price was if it was left go and my boss could come back to me at the end of the day and ask why I allowed a bigger price especially if it won;)

Just get at the right side of the staff in your local bookies and be chatty etc, you would be surprised what you might get away with, ie the odd late price and that. After all it's not my money:rolleyes:

If you were a stranger and you came haggling at half 2 just before a race I would probably laugh at you especially this week while trying to process 1500 betting slips a day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It's worth a try. I got a better price after a horse had won a few weeks ago. I'd taken a price but hadn't noticed that they were enhancing the odds for that particular horse. Horse won and realised the enhanced price would have left me €40 better off - not to be sniffed at. Asked the girl at the counter and she changed it no bother.

EDIT Either that or actually just do the bet in Ladbrokes if they're offering the better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Definitely worth doing in an Independent as virtually all of them will give you a chance, however the independent books are dwindling by the week....

Ref the bigger books(powers/Boyles/Laddys) - all bets taken are computerised nowadays but they all pay bigger price if horse/dog wins...

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

I find 90% of the time I can do this on course no problem.

Usually if you fancy a horse out of the first 3 in the betting on course you can name your price so long as you're not wedging on it. I've had 14/1s gotten for 20s a few times albeit for only €5/€10 e/w.

Advertisement