Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An atheists "purpose".

Options
  • 12-03-2009 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I know an atheist who is searching for "purpose" in his life. He has recently de-converted, like a year or two ago, and the only remnant of his early days is the idea of having meaning, purpose, a "reason" in life.

My view on this is that we have as much purpose as a gnat chewing on somebodies face of a summer evening. Get born, live, eat, reproduce. That is the main purpose of all life. Of course us humans are lucky in that we can pursue hobbies and careers that might give us a sense of purpose, for example being a volunteer doctor in some third world country.

But he still maintains that there must be more to life than than that. Some sort of meaning. He's searching for something. His casting off of the zany idea of being some gods child on a journey to never-ending magic land has left a void that needs to be filled, and my bare bones explanation won't work.

Your life is what you make of it I say, "but still..." he replies!

Any help people?

(By the way, before any smart arse says "sure, a friend of yours...." I guarantee you that this is not me!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Purpose? Feh!

Every human being should live to indulge themselves in whatever fun, joy, love or satisfaction they can scrape from the universe. That's my philosophy. I don't really feel strongly enough about anything in particular to even contemplate a 'purpose'.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

There is no purpose.
    My purpose is to be happy, enjoy life to the fullest, squeeze as much out of it as possible while I'm still able to.
    Why does your friend require a 'purpose'?
    If he has a void in his life, then he should look deeper into why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus http://dbanach.com/sisyphus.htm

A classic but sometimes difficult read by Camus on the absurdity of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Surely thinking we have a purpose or our lives carry particular meaning for a specific reason is an inherently theist standpoint. It infers that there is some greater plan in place, that we are here to play our part in that which is greater than our basic human functions.

Maybe he's not as much of atheist as he thinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If he wants to give his life a "purpose" then let him at it tbh... But if he spends the rest of his life looking for that purpose, then it will be a waste.

Just tell him that life can have any purpose he wants it to have, and to give it some thought and go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Tell your mate ;), to watch the meaning of life by Black Adder and all will be clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Maybe he's not as much of atheist as he thinks?

After suffering abuse (not sexual, "just" beatings) from the catholic church, his faith in it and god went on a non-stop downward spiral.

He's definitely an atheist. A Dawkins and Hitchens fan. A skeptic. And he even owns a sword! But still he's left puzzled by the lack of meaning in his life. Maybe he needs to do some yoga or meditation I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Overblood wrote: »
    After suffering abuse (not sexual, "just" beatings) from the catholic church, his faith in it and god went on a non-stop downward spiral.

He's definitely an atheist. A Dawkins and Hitchens fan. A skeptic. And he even owns a sword! But still he's left puzzled by the lack of meaning in his life. Maybe he needs to do some yoga or meditation I dunno.

I'll be honest and say I'm puzzled at his puzzlement. Life's only meaning is that which we give it after all. Tell him to get a job that actually contributes to society maybe? That should give him some purpose.

Other than that, just enjoy it, we're not here all that long.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tell him to take up gardening.
    Growing plants to their full potential gives purpose.
    Growing herbs for your meals gives purpose. Tasty purpose. :)

Believe it or not he gardens a good bit. And has his own little veg patch going. This guy is like 50 years old, you'd think he'd have found the answers by now but alas... He is a bachelor which could be the problem. I'm young so I lack the wise words he probably needs.

• Advertisement

He's definitely an atheist, yet he still seeks more meaning in life than an atheistic perspective can give him. Perhaps he could look into other spiritual avenues since his experience with so-called men of God failed him so miserably? :(

Other than that I can only second what the other posts suggest - if he wants or needs a purpose he will have to create one for himself rather than wasting time searching for a purpose assumed to already exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Tell your mate ;), to watch the meaning of life by Black Adder and all will be clear.

Its Monty Python no? Or am I missing out on some juicy Black Adder footage?

Maybe he should take up buddhism? AFAIK the mod Asia is a Buddhist... doesn't require any godly beliefs that I know of, and may make him feel like he has a purpose or somethin :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Why does there have to be a purpose. Thats what gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There is no reason why he can't give his life meaning. That's one of the great things about being human. You free to be whatever you want to be.

He can do a bit of research into how he could put himself to good use, either for his own community or more needy community. I don't see why being an atheist means you no longer have to feel like you can have a purpose in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

But he still maintains that there must be more to life than that. Some sort of meaning.

Is your friend married or in a serious relationship? what age group is he in?

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see why being an atheist means you no longer have to feel like you can have a purpose in life.

I thought the OP meant his friend was looking for purpose to life in general, rather than a specific purpose or drive in his own life. I think the majority of people live with a purpose to their actions in mind, atheists included - that's slightly different to feeling like or wanting to think we were placed on this earth for a reason/to carry out a task, kind of ""purpose".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Well I'm not religious and I do have a purpose in life currently; achieve my black belt and then teach martial arts for the rest of my days.

Other things that could be shoe-horned into purpose? ehh.. make friends, live and enjoy life and see lots of the world.. does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Nice question OP.
    Be one a Buddhist, Atheist or gardner, the meaning of life is to simply lead a meaningful life. That is, to enjoy your life, to respect others that are deserving of that respect, and to help out where you can..no more, no less. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I would suggest trying to improve the lot of the human species at large.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Why does there have to be a purpose. Thats what gets me.

Because most people either feel a need for it, or act in their lives as if there is a purpose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That doesn't really address the question at all.

Húrin wrote: »
    Because most people either feel a need for it, or act in their lives as if there is a purpose.

Most people. How much of the universe does 'most people' constitute, in percentage terms?

So, they want the whole universe to exist, just for them?

Wow. How self-centred.

I have a more humble view of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

tell your mate to look into secular humanism, and generally stop being such a moany-hole

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Pete Townshend of The Who went through something like that, and wrote a song about it (lyrics here):

It's one thing to have an open, enquiring mind, and searching for a purpose is a noble cause, but it's possible for a mind to be so open that any old crud falls in and takes root. Since about 1968, Pete has been a disciple of Meher Baba, and the fact that Meher Baba died in early 1969 (and Pete never met him) is no hindrance, since gurus never really die, do they? :confused:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Most people. How much of the universe does 'most people' constitute, in percentage terms?

So, they want the whole universe to exist, just for them?

Wow. How self-centred.

I have a more humble view of myself.

Every induviual is the centre of their own universe.

Every induviual is the centre of their own universe.

That isn't what I was saying.

tell your mate to look into secular humanism, and generally stop being such a moany-hole

You ignorant sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thread just got interesting.

• Advertisement

*grabs popcorn*

Advertisement