Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An atheists "purpose".

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

*cocks gun*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Zillah wrote: »
    Thread just got interesting.

If you think that's interesting you should have seen the 1st draft of my reply:cool:. But I decided I don't want to be banned.

I think this thread is nearly over, but I will mention the various avenues suggested here to the guy. thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Húrin wrote: »
    Because most people either feel a need for it, or act in their lives as if there is a purpose.

So the universe has to have a purpose because (some) people feel a need for it?

That explains why people would imagine that they have a special purpose, but unless you are suggesting that the universe is some how required to provide something humans long for, it doesn't explain why the universe has to have a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

I would ask your friend to remember the last time he was so excited that he had butterflies in his stomach.

Isn't the fun of life in the exploration of the unknown?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Overblood wrote: »
    If you think that's interesting you should have seen the 1st draft of my reply:cool:. But I decided I don't want to be banned.
    Either you forgot to save the changes, or you have an odd idea about what you can get away with.

A short ban for you, sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Most people. How much of the universe does 'most people' constitute, in percentage terms?

So, they want the whole universe to exist, just for them?

Wow. How self-centred.

I have a more humble view of myself.

Why does every little comment made on this forum invite such vitriolic response? All I did was try to answer why people think there should be a meaning. I don't think that meaning implies that the universe exists just for humans. I think it implies the opposite actually.
    Wicknight wrote: »
    So the universe has to have a purpose because (some) people feel a need for it?

That explains why people would imagine that they have a special purpose, but unless you are suggesting that the universe is some how required to provide something humans long for, it doesn't explain why the universe has to have a purpose.
    I didn't say that the universe must have a purpose. I just gave a reason why many people feel the need to investigate the possibility of a purpose. Even most people who deny meaning in the universe act as if there is a meaning (or create their own). If there is no meaning, it would render humanity to be in an absurd position of longing for something that does not exist. Since humans are a product of the universe, it would be odd that we desire something that is not in the universe that produced us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I didn't say that the universe must have a purpose. I just gave a reason why many people feel the need to investigate the possibility of a purpose. Even most people who deny meaning in the universe act as if there is a meaning (or create their own). If there is no meaning, it would render humanity to be in an absurd position of longing for something that does not exist. Since humans are a product of the universe, it would be odd that we desire something that is not in the universe that produced us.

Nonsense

We've already been through this and I pointed out that humans have many examples of vestigiality.

Why do people still get wisdom teeth when their jaws cannot accomodate them? Curse from god?

Why do we still get goosebumps when we get cold, even though we haven't got alot of hair on our bodies to make them useful?

And if we can have vestigial bodily features, then why not mental ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Dave! wrote: »
    And if we can have vestigial bodily features, then why not mental ones?

So the universe once had a purpose, but no longer does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, the human "longing for meaning" to which you refer may have had a purpose (say, pattern-finding, or an appreciation of cause and effect)

Point being, just because something comes natural to us does not mean it has a purpose. Case in point: wisdom teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Why does every little comment made on this forum invite such vitriolic response? All I did was try to answer why people think there should be a meaning. I don't think that meaning implies that the universe exists just for humans. I think it implies the opposite actually.

Life without purpose, means that what we see is what we get. A vast universe, expanding and accelerating. Galaxies spinning and colliding. Blackholes sucking and gobbling. Solar systems being consumed by their star, in the end.

Oh, and on some blue pixel a bunch of balding apes believed in a sandal-wearing pseudo-hippy who thought that his dad has something to do with all this and that we somehow mattered.

The end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Oh, and on some blue pixel a bunch of balding apes believed in a sandal-wearing pseudo-hippy who thought that his dad has something to do with all this and that we somehow mattered.

The end.

WTF? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Life without purpose, means that what we see is what we get. A vast universe, expanding and accelerating. Galaxies spinning and colliding. Blackholes sucking and gobbling. Solar systems being consumed by their star, in the end.

The end.

lol. Well said.

And lol @ humanity.

And extra lol @ religious people. <snip>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

"<snip>.

Last edited by Asiaprod; Yesterday at 21:39."

Sad. Fukc this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mod reign of terror continues. We'll be having our own Night of Long Knives soon enough!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

book smarts taking a vacation.

*sheaths blade*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joe freethinker

we all get 70 or so years "porpose" comes form raising a family and knowing you've done something in life which made their 70 years the best they could be.
    motto:love life, family,care for the earth,be a freethinker,be adventous:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joe freethinker

Zillah wrote: »
    Purpose? Feh!

Every human being should live to indulge themselves in whatever fun, joy, love or satisfaction they can scrape from the universe. That's my philosophy. I don't really feel strongly enough about anything in particular to even contemplate a 'purpose'.
    porpose comes from being good to others and passing on what you know

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

porpose comes from being good to others and passing on what you know

Er, if you say so.

Advertisement