Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do O2 have the iPhone contract?

• 12-03-2009 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was just wondering how long O2 have the exclusive contract on the iPhone. Anyone know? I'm not sure how these deals work, but I can't imagine it being good business sense from Apple to limit themselves to just one network in various countries.

Just wondering how long these type of contracts usually run for. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its an 18 month contract.

Find everything HERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Davy wrote: »
    Its an 18 month contract.

Find everything HERE
    He means o2s contract with apple not a users contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think grandmaster was referring to 02's contract with Apple, not a user's contract with 02.

It would have to be at least 3-4 years, given the investment in infrastructure, marketing, etc. that 02 would have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Hello,

I was just wondering how long O2 have the exclusive contract on the iPhone. Anyone know? I'm not sure how these deals work, but I can't imagine it being good business sense from Apple to limit themselves to just one network in various countries.

From what I read at the time O2 were one of the few companies that were willing to shack up with Apple for the iphone due to how much the deal was in Apples favour. Vodafone and orange told apple to take a hike if I recall things correctly and seeing as how the iphone hasnt been the competition destroyer it was claimed to be I dont think its that big a deal that other telecos will start a bidding war for the rights anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Venom wrote: »
    From what I read at the time O2 were one of the few companies that were willing to shack up with Apple for the iphone due to how much the deal was in Apples favour. Vodafone and orange told apple to take a hike

Exactly, I know if I was running a telco I wouldn't want to be giving my revenue to Apple, i'd be surprised if o2 are actually making any money out of it...
    I don't think the deal was ever offered to Irish phone companies because of Irelands size (Nottingham?). They just decided to make it an extention of the UK contract, bit of a bummer seen as Apple is located in Cork. It would have been good to see the iphone on all networks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hello,

Short Term.

Orange are trying to poach the rights from July:

http://mobiletoday.co.uk/O2_lowers_iPhone_price_ready_for_new_handset.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Exactly, I know if I was running a telco I wouldn't want to be giving my revenue to Apple, i'd be surprised if o2 are actually making any money out of it...
    I don't think the deal was ever offered to Irish phone companies because of Irelands size (Nottingham?). They just decided to make it an extention of the UK contract, bit of a bummer seen as Apple is located in Cork. It would have been good to see the iphone on all networks....

In neither size nor population.......

I dont know where this myth came from that compares Ireland to places in the UK in relation to population, The West Midlands conurbation which is the second largest in the UK outside of London has a pop of 2,284,093.

I have heard other cities/places quoted as being the size of Ireland in terms of population too.

Back on topic, a friend of mine works for vodafone in the UK and told me at the time that they did want the iphone but would not agree to Apples terms. IIRC vodafone almost got the phone but pulled out at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think AT&Ts contract is 5 years(cant remember where i read that) so maybe o2 signed the same terms

Advertisement