Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees

Options
  • 12-03-2009 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

So the government are saying that they might be bringing in 3rd level fees. I dont know about yee, but if they come in i wont be able to afford to go to college. This forum is for people in college or people doing the leaving cert to leave a comment and say what they really feel.:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm doing the leaving cert atm, I'm seriously gonna have to reconsider my plans for the summer if college fees are reintroduced. :(:( How much roughly would they be if they were reintroduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

im in the same boat as you. the government are a right pack of wan#ers.
    do u think u would go to a protest march or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

Only the people who can afford college fee's will be asked to pay.
    Everyone who applies for college will be means-tested and if they or their parents earn more than the limit, they will be asked to pay.
    Not all students will pay the same amount. This too will be means tested.
    It is imposible to give every student an amnesty from fee's in these economic times.
    Maybe if students were to pay fee's again like they always did untill recently, they would take college more seriously, and actually turn in every day on time without the hang-over.

I'm doing the leaving cert atm, I'm seriously gonna have to reconsider my plans for the summer if college fees are reintroduced. :(:( How much roughly would they be if they were reintroduced?

Depends on the course & the college. Engineering & Medicine might be up towards 5,000 - 8,000 (very rough figures); Arts subjects (i.e. things with no labs) would be a good bit lower but would still probably be higher than 3,000 in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

Ps. The last part is just a joke. I know students work hard.

• Advertisement

Dónal wrote: »
    Depends on the course & the college. Engineering & Medicine might be up towards 5,000 - 8,000 (very rough figures); Arts subjects (i.e. things with no labs) would be a good bit lower but would still probably be higher than 3,000 in most places.
    is that cost per year or what..??

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Everyone who applies for college will be means-tested and if they or their parents earn more than the limit, they will be asked to pay.
    It is imposible to give every student an amnesty from fee's in these economic times.
    Maybe if students were to pay fee's again like they always did untill recently, they would take college more seriously, and actually turn in every day on time without the hang-over.

To be honest, I think we'll be all forced to pay. The only way you even get a grant is if you are really badly off.
    I'll be under serious pressure if fees get brought back. Next year both my sister and I will be subject to fees.
    Also I'm only in first med and i have 4 more years :(.
    I'm emigrating straight after I qualify if fees are brought back.
    Why the hell should I help this country after I'm qualified if students are going to be punished this way.
    It's typical, the one thing that's right in this country and the government is going to through it away.
    Knowledge based economy my ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

sr. kila wrote: »
    is that cost per year or what..??

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Drakmord wrote: »
    To be honest, I think we'll be all forced to pay. The only way you even get a grant is if you are really badly off.
    I'll be under serious pressure if fees get brought back. Next year both my sister and I will be subject to fees.
    Why the hell should I help this country after I'm qualified if students are going to be punished this way.
    It's typical, the one thing that's right in this country and the government is going to through it away.

Maybe try qualifying as a Doctor in the UK or the USA, I'm it'll be much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

amacachi wrote: »
    Maybe try qualifying as a Doctor in the UK or the USA, I'm it'll be much cheaper.

The states are very expensive, Great Britain will be more appealing and reasonable though, if fees come back.
    + we'd have better facilities etc. in Britain.

• Advertisement

whats the country comming to lads.... its a fukin joke

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Best of luck trying for the USA, most colleges/unis have atleast 20,000 added on to the cost because you're not a USA national. That's on top of the other 10-50 thousand you have to pay for the course itself, and that's per year.

As for fees over here, I'm rightly screwed if they do come back. Trying to get the cost of living in Dub will be bad enough per year without paying TCD loads more...

would the fees in an IT be lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's an awful amount of assumptions to make before the paper is even released by Batt O'Keefe. Even when the fees were in place, not everyone could afford it. It places the onus on parents, many of who feel that after 18 - are completely void of having to fork out 1000's on their children for education.. And if they have multiple children going to college, then it might even become a battle of favoritism..

Now, the economic climate is worse than it has ever been - So I'm willing to hazard a guess that fees are going to affect a lot more than those who can afford to pay it.

We'll wait until the paper is released and see what Batt has to say for himself. If he wants to fee the elite, meh - go for it.. But if the introduction of fees starts putting people off of college or putting families under financial burden, especially in these days and ages - then it's a problem.

we will have to take to the steets...lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

fees need to be brought back in, its a strain on the government, free fees is a luxury we have had for a few years now, same as medical cards, the country would be in a better financial situation if these celtic tiger luxuries were revoked...even for the duration of the economic crisis, sure the amount of money wasted on drop ots is vast, pay yourself and i'm sure we'd see a drop in drop out rates

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

fees need to be brought back in, its a strain on the government, free fees is a luxury we have had for a few years now, same as medical cards, the country would be in a better financial situation if these celtic tiger luxuries were revoked...even for the duration of the economic crisis, sure the amount of money wasted on drop ots is vast, pay yourself and i'm sure we'd see a drop in drop out rates

Funny you think that considering you've already milked the system.

Your gas.. im sure da country could survive without an educated workforce:mad::mad::mad:
    wuld u prefer poor people to die bcoz dey cant afford medicine....
    ur prob da stuck up d4 type r u..?:mad:

u can keep those comments to urself

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

If/When they bring in fees I think it should be a loan system similar to that of Australia's. The fee's should fall on us the students head and not that of our parents.

For this reason I don't think it should be means tested. The Irish system is scammed too easily. So many people I know in college are receiving grants and student aid and I know for a fact they're scamming the system in order to do this. What kills me most is they brag about it while the rest of us poor suckers have to pay for every little thing.

Let the government bring in fees, but let everybody pay, no matter what their family status. The loans system would mean the burden would not fall on our parents but us the people actually receiving the education.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Your gas.. im sure da country could survive without an educated workforce:mad::mad::mad:
    wuld u prefer poor people to die bcoz dey cant afford medicine....
    ur prob da stuck up d4 type r u..?:mad:

u can keep those comments to urself

Way to make an argument. :rolleyes:

Isn't Foxrock in Dublin 18?
    joey54 wrote: »
    If/When they bring in fees I think it should be a loan system similar to that of Australia's. The fee's should fall on us the students head and not that of our parents.

I think the loans system has it's merits, and I believe it is being looked at, but what happens when a student graduates and cannot get a job?

Either way, I think fees are on their way back, such is the economic climate we live in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Al O'Peica wrote: »

I think the loans system has it's merits, and I believe it is being looked at, but what happens when a student graduates and cannot get a job?

Either way, I think fees are on their way back, such is the economic climate we live in.

In England, students get a loan to pay their fees if they need it, and they start paying it back once they're earning more than X amount a year (Last I heard, it was £10,000 or thereabouts). So if students graduate and don't get a job straight away, then they're not under pressure to repay the loan.

Honestly, Ireland is one of the only places to offer free third-level education. Millions of students manage in other countries, why should Ireland be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Sr.Killa, please try to avoid using TXT Speak. You've got a full keyboard to type with. Please use it. I'll leave your post for now, but for future posts, try make them make more sense.

Thanks,

John - Forum Admin

Faith wrote: »
    In England, students get a loan to pay their fees if they need it, and they start paying it back once they're earning more than X amount a year (Last I heard, it was £10,000 or thereabouts). So if students graduate and don't get a job straight away, then they're not under pressure to repay the loan.

Honestly, Ireland is one of the only places to offer free third-level education. Millions of students manage in other countries, why should Ireland be any different?

Exactly, even if a graduate doesn't get a job straight away they'll get one eventually. I worry that the government won't go with this approach though as they want a way to get revenue in straight away and not have to wait around for it.

Just bringing in pure fee's is unfortunately probably the way this government is going to hit students.

loan system would be the biggest joke ever.. so when we are out of college we would have a huge loan to repay and probably no job because of the state of this country..

loan system would be the biggest joke ever.. so when we are out of college we would have a huge loan to repay and probably no job because of the state of this country..

I find it hard to believe that a loans system from the state would be a joke. The joke at the moment is the amount of people wrongly receiving college grants.

A loan from the state is much more preferable than that from a bank who would be charging sky high interest rates and not interested in waiting around for you to get a job.

The whole point about a loans system from the state would mean interest rates on the loan would be greatly reduced than those the banks would be charging. Also banks would be expecting repayments to start coming in as soon as you were finished in college, the state would be willing to wait until you found work.

Seriously think about it before you label the idea of loans from the government a joke.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the free fees are in a small way resulting in the state of the country. Nearly every other country has fees in place, to say we wouldnt have an educated workforce is a poor arguement, its all well and good and yes i'm sure many are dependant on it... but surely in a time of economic change we must change too?

@challengemaster - yup...i went through the system and milked it, sure you'll be grand you'll get a scolarship to do photography ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So what alternative do you propose?

You have to accept the sad reality that in this day and age, the country can't afford free fees for all.

Unfair? Very, but instead of sitting back and bitching and moaning in your best txt speak, propose an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 angel6

Drakmord wrote: »

I don't think current third-level students would be subject to tuition fees (only new applicants)...just hope that they don't have any plans of raising the reg. fees to more than 1500 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

joey54 wrote: »

For this reason I don't think it should be means tested. The Irish system is scammed too easily. So many people I know in college are receiving grants and student aid and I know for a fact they're scamming the system in order to do this. What kills me most is they brag about it while the rest of us poor suckers have to pay for every little thing.

Let the government bring in fees, but let everybody pay, no matter what their family status. The loans system would mean the burden would not fall on our parents but us the people actually receiving the education.

But then rich parents will pay for their kids' fees and they won't have to take on any loan. So there's still inequality.

• Advertisement

But then rich parents will pay for their kids' fees and they won't have to take on any loan. So there's still inequality.

Well if students parents decide they want to pay their child's fees then so be it. We don't live in a communist state, we can't watch everyone and see who's getting more than us.

Lets not forget that the governments idea of a wealthy family is a family where the parents combined wages bring in €100,000 or more. This fails to look at other factors such as how many are int the family and how many are still in full time education.

The government can't stop parents paying off their child's loan if that's what they want to do.

Also we really don't know what's going to come in. I favor a loans system but I reckon the government are looking for quick revenue and a loans system wont achieve this as they could be waiting years before the first repayments started coming in.

Advertisement