Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the fags and off my arse

• 12-03-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I've been lurking around here for the last few weeks but this is my first post in this forum.

With my 40th birthday looming this year - I figured it was time to straighten myself out and try to get fit.
    After 20+ years of being a smoker I've given up the fags (6 weeks ago) and now, after threatening to do it for years, I'm finally going to start running.
    I used to play a fair bit of GAA in my youth but after my early 20's I slowly dropped out of any kind of sporting activity.
    I've done very little exercise over the last 18 or so years.

So - I'm 39 yrs old, 5'9" height, and about 12 and a half stone.

I did my first bit of running today and plan on posting in here to make sure I stick to it.
    I started off easy with a 1 min run followed by 90secs walking and repeated this for 20 mins.
    Found it OK and didn't strugggle too much.
    I plan on running in a 5K in early May to give me someting to aim for.

One question...
    I will be doing this mostly on the treadmill to start off, I set the speed to 10Km/h for the run and 6.5K/h for the walking sections is that OK? I feel I could set the run a bit faster and still manage, any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Welcome Kagni.
    As regards the speed on the treadmill, don't worry about it, just enjoy take it easy and build up a good base but slowly and after a while then start worrying about speed and moving on to the next step.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

And the award for the best titled training log goes to... :D

Well done on the first step and having the courage to post about it. Speaking as a 40 year old who has got better year by year with the running you're not too late to start. Slow and steady progression is the way to go. Whatever speed feels comfortable at running / walking to begin with. If its too easy then up it a bit. It shouldn't feel easy but don't push yourself too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Thanks for the encouragement lads, looking at the other logs on here I feel a bit ridiculous posting my pathetic efforts but I may as well continue now.

Did the same again today - 1min running then 90 secs walking - repeated 8 times.

I'm going to try and follow the plan at the below link...
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Any structured plan which gets you off the couch is a good one. Postive thoughts though. Don't try, 'DO'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Congrats on starting the running!!!
    I've just started myself & doing a log also. I'm a smoker & admire you for giving them up. I'm not too far away now from quitting.
    Good luck with the training & just know there are others like you in here :D

• Advertisement

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Congrats on starting the running!!!
    I've just started myself & doing a log also. I'm a smoker & admire you for giving them up. I'm not too far away now from quitting.
    Good luck with the training & just know there are others like you in here :D

Thanks MoonDancer, nice to see someone else at the same stage.
    Good luck with the running and I'll be keeping an eye on your log to see how you are getting on.:)

P.S. I found the Allen Carr book worked great for me when giving up the cigs.
    You keep on smoking while you read the book and only quit when you feel you're ready. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Hi Kagni,

Fair play to you,

I gave up the ciggies just before the new year and started running properly around then too.

It's great you've got a goal in sight as regards the running. I started with a 10k and was hooked,so immediately signed up to the Connemara half next weekend....and then the Cork full.

Best of luck:)

You know what, a few people have recommend that book to me, I must read it. Must be good!!
    Thanks for the good luck wishes :D
    I'll be keeping an eye on you too, we'll have no choice but to stick to the training :D

Finished week one of the plan today - 1 min jog followed by 90 secs walk X 8.

Well done!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one :)

Couch to 5k, the plan you're on, works very well for easing yourself into running. I got my start with it 8 months ago, and I'm still hooked. Have fun with it!

Not sure if I should be bumping this thread or not but after nearly two years, another stone weight added and 3 failed attempts I finally completed C25K in November.
    I failed to complete it the first time due to illness and twice more mainly due to lack of organization.
    Previously I had tried to do it on a treadmill and found it boring and also tended to watch the clock counting down at the end of each interval which made the whole thing a bit too much like hard work.
    This time I got myself a small mp3 player and downloaded a C25K podcast and did most of the running outside.
    It was still a struggle but a lot more enjoyable than the drudgery of the treadmill.

I haven't done much running over the Christmas and ate and drank way too much.
    Having done the C25K I need to get another program to give me similar discipline and stick to it.
    So I'm going to start the Hal Higdon 10K Novice program today.
    That should get me to a stage where I should be able to run 6 miles at the end of February.
    Ultimately I'd like to run a half marathon before the end of the year.
    But one step at a time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

kagni wrote: »
    Hello all, I've been lurking around here for the last few weeks but this is my first post in this forum.

With my 40th birthday looming this year - I figured it was time to straighten myself out and try to get fit.
    After 20+ years of being a smoker I've given up the fags (6 weeks ago) and now, after threatening to do it for years, I'm finally going to start running.
    I used to play a fair bit of GAA in my youth but after my early 20's I slowly dropped out of any kind of sporting activity.
    I've done very little exercise over the last 18 or so years.

So - I'm 39 yrs old, 5'9" height, and about 12 and a half stone.

I did my first bit of running today and plan on posting in here to make sure I stick to it.
    I started off easy with a 1 min run followed by 90secs walking and repeated this for 20 mins.
    Found it OK and didn't strugggle too much.
    I plan on running in a 5K in early May to give me someting to aim for.

One question...
    I will be doing this mostly on the treadmill to start off, I set the speed to 10Km/h for the run and 6.5K/h for the walking sections is that OK? I feel I could set the run a bit faster and still manage, any advice?

Hi Well done on giving up the cigs. I think 10km/hr is pretty good for a non runner starting off. I think this would be sufficient for the next while anyway. You should aim for a 10km in April. Judging by the speed you can deal with I would say you would have no problems.
    The Great Ireland Run is on April 10th.

Good on ya!
    I'm off the fags almost 2 years and kept up the running myself. I've done the warriors run 10 mile mountain race twice and a few 10ks, this year will be the 3rd & might do the half marathon myself.
    Keep up the good work!

Fair play to you Moondancer - at least someone on this thread has made some progress :o
    If only I'd stuck with it back then I'd be a real runner now too!
    Anyway, better late than never and I'm going to get there this time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kagni wrote: »
    Not sure if I should be bumping this thread or not but after nearly two years,

Its your thread bump it as much as you want with updates, thats what these logs are for :)
    another stone weight added and 3 failed attempts I finally completed C25K in November.
    I failed to complete it the first time due to illness and twice more mainly due to lack of organization.
    Previously I had tried to do it on a treadmill and found it boring and also tended to watch the clock counting down at the end of each interval which made the whole thing a bit too much like hard work.
    This time I got myself a small mp3 player and downloaded a C25K podcast and did most of the running outside.
    It was still a struggle but a lot more enjoyable than the drudgery of the treadmill.

Getting out and running is the best thing you can do, I started on the C25K podcasts last February and kept having to repeat weeks but it paid off in the end.
    I haven't done much running over the Christmas and ate and drank way too much.
    Having done the C25K I need to get another program to give me similar discipline and stick to it.
    So I'm going to start the Hal Higdon 10K Novice program today.
    That should get me to a stage where I should be able to run 6 miles at the end of February.

Can't recommend HH enough, thats what I moved onto after the c25k plan
    Ultimately I'd like to run a half marathon before the end of the year.
    But one step at a time...

Good plan,
    May I suggest the Dublin Half in the Phoenix park in September and its pretty cheap to enter,

Don't worry about time or any stuff like that just just start the HH Half Marathon plan once you've done the 10km and your happy and you'll manage it if you stick to it.

Thanks for the encouragement Cabaal, great to see the progress you've made over the last year.

Just did the first run of the Hal Higdon Novice 10K plan - 2.5mls in 23.5 mins.
    It felt a bit tough and I struggled to get my breathing under control.
    No surprise given the lack of exercise over the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Congratulations on finishing the C25K and good luck with your new goals.

I gave up smoking in June and started running so as I couldn't afford to put on any more weight. By the end of they year, I had run a 10 mile, half marathon and a full marathon just by following one of the HH plans. Running end up more addictive than nicotine!!

Thurs - Jan 6th
    2.5 miles in 24:18

I think I need to start off a bit slower but am finding it difficult to find a steady pace at the beginning.

Sat Jan 8th
    2.8 miles in 29:09

Started off a bit slower today and found the run a lot easier.
    I miscalculated the distance though - was supposed to run 3 miles but only did 2.8 miles.
    Felt I had a bit more left at the end so I would have managed the 3 OK I reckon.

• Advertisement

Mon Jan 10th
    3 miles in 29:33

Was supposed to 2.5 miles but since I didn't do the full 3 miles on Saturday I did it today instead.

A couple more runs since my last post...

Thurs Jan 13th
    2 miles in 19:40
    Pace 09:50

Sat Jan 15th
    3.7 miles in 38:25
    Pace 10:23

Really struggled at the start of today's run but after I got through the first half I felt a bit better and was able to do a little more than the 3.5 miles I was planning.

So far I haven't been doing the cross training and strength exercises listed in the Hal Higdon 10K plan. When the weather improves I'll be playing golf on the weekend - would that count as Saturday's cross training or should it be something a bit more strenuous?

Wasn't really feeling like going out tonight - I only got about 4 hrs sleep last night and was wrecked all day. Decided I would take it a bit easier and ended up enjoying the run. It was a nice crisp evening and I felt great finishing up. The time was fairly slow but was just glad that I went out and that it went well 'cos I've found the last few runs tough.

Mon Jan 17th
    3 miles in 30:15
    Pace 10:05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sandman2010

Well done on getting back into training and good luck with your goals for the year! I'm in a similar boat myself. Just starting into Hal's 10K plan and off the smokes too! Keep up the good work!

Same run again today, the 3 mile run is definitely getting easier. Found it very fairly comfortable today. Maybe I can push myself a bit more next week. I'll see how the 4 mile run goes this weekend.

Wed Jan 19th
    3 miles in 29:30
    Pace 9:50

I've missed a few days on my plan, I haven't run since last Wednesday :o.
    I was supposed to do 4 miles on the weekend but didn't get it done mainly because I went out on Sat night, drank too much and was wrecked all day Sun.

Anyway I did the 4 mile run tonight and it went well this is my longest run so far.

Tue Jan 25th
    4 miles in 41:33
    Pace 10:23

A couple more 3 mile runs, feeling a bit of soreness in my right shin, tonights run was a bit uncomfortable. Hopefully it goes away, I had it before when I did C25K and it went away after a bit.

Thur 27th Jan
    3 miles in 29:04
    Pace 9:41

Sat 29th Jan
    3 miles in 28:48
    Pace 9:36

Enjoyable run tonight, was supposed to do 4.5 miles but ended up doing a bit extra.

Tue 1st Feb
    4.7 miles in 50:09
    Pace 10:40

I need to get back in sync and get my long runs on the weekend again, I didn't get out until 8.30 tonight which meant it was 9.30 by the time I got finished.

No run since last Tuesday as my right shin has been a little bit sore all week. It was feeling a bit better this morning so I figured I'd go and try a 30 min run, no distance in mind just to get out for 30 mins.
    After about 8 mins I was having problems. No energy at all in my legs, I was also starting to run out of breath, I continued on for another bit but had to stop and walk soon after. Ended up doing 30 mins but at least 15 mins was walking.

By the time I was finished I had pain in my right shin and calf, wasn't anything severe, but was uncomfortable all the same. I iced my shin when I got home, still feels a bit sore now.
    Not sure what to do, maybe take a break for a week?
    I'll wait 'til Tuesday and see how I feel then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement