Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N96 or equilavent v I-phone?

• 12-03-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi, I'm changing my phone after 3 years but want a good one with the features of an i-phone including internet. Are phones such as the N96 a patch on the iphone? Also I'm with vodafone and would prefer not to change. I'm not really a techie so any guidance appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Well to get something similiar to the iphone you have to first get an ok phone and then strip out all the useful stuff.... . Then you're getting close in functionality. ;)

Lots of new touchscreen handsets coming on the market. For a mid range look at the Nokia 5800. There's also the blackberry storm although a lot of people here don't like it. LG also have a couple but I don't know a lot about them.

PRman wrote: »
    Hi, I'm changing my phone after 3 years but want a good one with the features of an i-phone including internet. Are phones such as the N96 a patch on the iphone? Also I'm with vodafone and would prefer not to change. I'm not really a techie so any guidance appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In plain english the main feature of the iPhone is that its very easy to use.

Most other phones have more features, but are often not as easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've suggested a sticky for guidelines on asking for phone suggestions.

One of the main themes of the sticky will be "What do you want to do with your phone?"

So, what do you want out of your phone? Do you want pretty pictures, gee-whizz eye candy, with basic phone features? Or do you want all gadgets in one device, with a "familiar" user interface?

What features of a phone are important to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Hi, thanks for the replies! I want to have the features of the i-phone i.e. good camera, mp3, internet, email, etc. The i-phone looks great but I believe it doesn't have bluetooth? (I have a parrot car kit) Also I would have to switch to o2 which is hassle. I like the look of the N96 as it appears to have the same features as the i-phone though with bluetooth and i like the nokia user interface, functionality, etc. no interest in eye candy! N96 seems quite expensive though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Hi, thanks for the replies! I want to have the features of the i-phone i.e. good camera, mp3, internet, email, etc. The i-phone looks great but I believe it doesn't have bluetooth? (I have a parrot car kit) Also I would have to switch to o2 which is hassle. I like the look of the N96 as it appears to have the same features as the i-phone though with bluetooth and i like the nokia user interface, functionality, etc. no interest in eye candy! N96 seems quite expensive though..
    if you can wait a few months... get an n97.. it will be expensive but it has the best of both worlds. touch screen interface, all the usual nokia flag ship features (gps,bluetooth, movie/music player,extensive java support), plus it incorporates a qwerty keyboard as well.

Its like an iphone , n95/96 & sidekick all in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi, thanks for the replies! I want to have the features of the i-phone i.e. good camera,

Gotta stop you there a moment. The iPhone has a crap camera (and I'm saying this as an iPhone fanboy owner). It's 2 Megapixel.
    The i-phone looks great but I believe it doesn't have bluetooth? (I have a parrot car kit).

It does have Bluetooth, but it only has limited connectivity. It will connect to an audio device, such as a car kit/bluetooth headset, that's all it will do. It won't, for example, allow you to send/receive files via Bluetooth, or stream stereo audio via Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If you're interested in the N96, then you should consider the N85. It's cheaper, has as many features and also includes a much better screen; which will make Internet browsing and viewing pictures and video better. The one main feature it doesn't have is onboard memory, but it does come with an 8 GB microSD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I have an N95 at the moment, and am considering the Samsung Omnia HD as my next phone.

- 3.7" touch screen
    - OLED screen
    - 8MP camera
    - Can capture 720p video (at 30fps I think)
    - A-GPS
    - Media player (can even play xvid and divx codecs.
    - 8 or 16GB of internal memory, expandable with up to an additonal 32GB via memory card.

I came across this article earlier. It looks at some of the touch screen phones coming on the market this year. Might be of interest to you.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/top-7-touchscreen-phones-to-look-out-for-in-2009-582609

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Cheers fellas - Interesting article that Rosboy - do u know when that samsung phone is out? Didn't realise the i-phone camera wasn't great. Might go with the N96 as I don't think I need the keypad the N97 has? Thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Cheers fellas - Interesting article that Rosboy - do u know when that samsung phone is out? Didn't realise the i-phone camera wasn't great. Might go with the N96 as I don't think I need the keypad the N97 has? Thanks again..

I believe its out in the first half of the year, so in the next couple of months.

As for the N96, you may be better off going for the N95. The N96 is the successor to the N95, but the only difference is a slightly more rounded and polished body, and 16GB of sotage as opposed to the 8GB on the N95. An N95 would be a much cheaper option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

one of the touchscreen HTC phones perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I'd second the Samsung Omnia HD - though the n97 is looking promising too, the screen on the Omnia and the camera give it the upper hand.

Neither of these phones will be cheap but then again, neither is the iphone no matter what O2 or Apple try to tell you.

rosboy wrote: »
    I have an N95 at the moment, and am considering the Samsung Omnia HD as my next phone.

- 3.7" touch screen
    - OLED screen
    - 8MP camera
    - Can capture 720p video (at 30fps I think)
    - A-GPS
    - Media player (can even play xvid and divx codecs.
    - 8 or 16GB of internal memory, expandable with up to an additonal 32GB via memory card.

I came across this article earlier. It looks at some of the touch screen phones coming on the market this year. Might be of interest to you.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/top-7-touchscreen-phones-to-look-out-for-in-2009-582609

Advertisement