Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For animal lovers - Marley & me!

Options
  • 12-03-2009 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Saw a preview of Marley & me.

If you are a dog lover you'll love it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I'm a dog lover but, I'm not going to see this!!
    My dog died a while ago and Marley dies the same way - back legs start to go etc.

The book is meant to be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

It's amazing! Be prepared to cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I've read the book. It genuinely is phenomenal. I don't want to see the film, I know I'll be disappointed-- they've turned it into a romcom when it wasn't meant to be like that at all.

Oh well, win some lose some.

Get the book instead. It's only short.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Movie was ok, not as good as i was expecting, so im off to read the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

It's all so subjective....the book did nothing for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

the book really was excellent and is so funny and incredibly sad too. the way in which Marley was a central figure throughout their development as a couple and family really was a great way to tell part of just an ordinary life story which made an extraordinary tale when mixed with the magic only dog can conjure. the film will certainly be a let down after reading the book but i will go see it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I read the book and it certainly won't win any prizes for literature but it's entertaining enough and passes the time. It's a complete exercise in pathos - you've got the highs and the lows and Marley is a central player in it all. I won't be going to the film as I'm generally disappointed with screen adaptations of my favourite books. I think the film producers were cashing in on the success of the book which I personally don't think has enough to it to carry a decent film, hence Jennifer Anniston and the rom-com genre being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Oh the book is amazing! I have never laughed so much at a book - but I also got so upset at the end! :(

It's a wonderful book. My parents' Newfoundland is a lot like Marley - totally full of mischief. A lot of the crazy stuff that John Grogan wrote about, our dog does the same! Tiz well worth the read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

lads i never cried watching a film untill seeing this tonight:(:(:( i flucking bawled haha was so funny in parts to great movie alot better then i had immagined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

I think Jennifer Aniston is a bit of a shrew, isnt she?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Loved the book - but wont be going to the cinema to see the film.
    Will wait for it on DVD :o

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Abosolutly excellent movie. Went to see it tonyt. My girlfriends been raving about the book so i'm off to read it over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I enjoyed the book & was thinking of going to film although had heard mixed reviews of it. Then caught a bit of "The Dog Whisperer" on TV last week - the Grogans had called out Ceasar Milan to help them with their new (post-Marley) labrador, Gracie. And there was a shot of Gracie "graduating" from puppy school in a prong collar! Has kind of taken a bit of the shine off the whole Marley thing for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

LisaO wrote: »
    I enjoyed the book & was thinking of going to film although had heard mixed reviews of it. Then caught a bit of "The Dog Whisperer" on TV last week - the Grogans had called out Ceasar Milan to help them with their new (post-Marley) labrador, Gracie. And there was a shot of Gracie "graduating" from puppy school in a prong collar! Has kind of taken a bit of the shine off the whole Marley thing for me now.

yea saw that a couple of years back just goes to show that most believe in Mr Milans ways and that general way of training is still rampant. My fiance was going to do a course here in cork till she talked to the "Top Dog" himself and found hes a Dog Whisperer fan and follows the old show um whos boss bullying method of training so she dropped that idea.

Enjoyed the film anyway, nowhere near the book but still a good watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I cried when the dogs were playing in the sea, I wanted to cry the whole way through!! But it was really sad for me and my bf cause we have older dogs and it is the greatest fear knowing they're both like 13 and a half. Sometimes we don't want to go to work, afraid of missing out on time with them.

Marley was brilliant though, labs are such lovely dogs!
    The movie surprised me, I thought it would be very fluffy but it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

its a good flim book is much better but i have a lab and i was roaring crying for a bit so be prepared !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Myself and my boyfriend actually got convultions crying at this lol Saps! God it hit a nerve....lovely film but I definitely preferred the book too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TFP

the book is fantastic! myself and the wife can really relate to it as we have a 18month old lab that we got shortly after buying a house and now we have a newborn .... we did the sterotypical move in, buy house, get dog have baby in order and it did touch a nerve.

Mind you I grew up with a golden lab as a child and the end of the book brought back horrible memories, it is a rollercoaster of a book.

The film is pants in comparison to the book, it's a romcom while the book is a story about a dog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

oh i have never cried so much at any film ever! i had to actually look away at the end of the film, it was so sad! but my friend who went with me is not a dog lover and she did not enjoy the film at all, so i guess you have to love dogs!. i have a boxer and he really reminded me of Marley! so mischievous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

TFP wrote: »

The film is pants in comparison to the book, it's a romcom while the book is a story about a dog!!

Lol, I'd disagree with you there, they're both romcoms :P

I was disappointed not to see the image of Marley's dad streaking across in front of the car, beady eyed. That part of the book described quite accurately my own lab :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭morning-glory

Oh God, I went to see it last night, I never cry at films, but i was just gone when Marley died, I had to run home and cuddle my dog lol. such a simple story but a seriously tear evoking film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

ditto goes for me and my dog :( was in bits in the cinema! couldnt watch the end of the film, peeked at one stage. not good! thank god for boyfriends though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

Oh God, I went to see it last night, I never cry at films, but i was just gone when Marley died, I had to run home and cuddle my dog lol. such a simple story but a seriously tear evoking film.

Me too!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

I howled and howled especially near the end. OMG its heartbreaking !!!
    Enjoyed the film but when i saw Marley progressing through ages i thought oh no will show old age and death. Brought it all back when he was getting euthanised. Few months back, had to take my boy cocker spaniel to be p.t.s. It was sooooooooo hard to watch and sad.

Be warned dog lovers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Oh my god i just love the book!!! It made me laugh and cry! I could relate particularly to he parts of marley as a pup as my sibe is 8 months and still going through crazy puppyhood!
    The movie is definitley not as good as the book but i think they did quite a good job with it! i enjoyed it and cried like a baby at the end hehe. i honestly think you would have to have a heart of stone not to be upset by the ending! I think its particularly heartbreaking if you are a dog owner!
    I also met John Grogan himself recently when he was in Ireland. Really genuinely nice guy, so normal and down to earth! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I loved the book and didn't expect to enjoy the film, I have to say I was pleasantly suprised. Ok, the film isn't near as good as the book, but it's still really enjoyable. Have to agree with the previous poster, I was looking forward to the scene where they 'meet' Marley's dad as that was one of my favourite bits in the book.

My major fault with the film was that Marley wasn't in it enough... enough with the humans already!

There wasn't a dry eye in the whole cinema, I found the bit at the end
    where Marley and John where sitting on top of the hill, just enjoying each others company
    especially sad.

My hubby and I were fighting over who'd get to hug our dog first when we got home!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

saw this tonight with him in doors and jesus christ did i.. or should i say WE cry! Have to go into work tomorrow too and face all the cats and dogs and i know any lab that needs treatment will remind me of Marley!

Excellent film, im afraid to read the book tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

My dog died today. He was quite old, hearing was pretty much non existent and eye sight no better. He was hit by a car breaking his hip and then brought to the vet. He was put to sleep there. Had only seen Marley and Me last week. Movie was ok, but ending was extremely sad. I'm just trying not to cry right now. Didn't get to say goodbye.

6695_121899950189_661120189_3411652_2012258_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh im sorry to hear that, thats very sad. I hope he wasnt in too much pain before he went. He looks very happy in that picture so im sure he knew he was loved.
    Hes up in Rainbow Bridge now with all the other doggies.
    Hope you arent too sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Thanks for the kind words. He was loved, but I didn't realise how much until he was gone. Even as an old man he was still capable of putting on the puppy dog eyes, which is why he is loving that ice cream. My dad will miss him the most. He gave out to Bert the most, but they were also best friends. It would be nice to get him a replacment down the line, but I don't think he wants one. Oh well.

Advertisement