Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a Classic as a wedding car: Insurance? other Complications?

• 12-03-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Myself and my uncle where thinking of investing in an old Americian car

But with the intention of using it as a wedding/events car

We where thinking along the lines of pre 1950 - Art Deco style cars
    Lincoln, Mercury, Kaiser/Frazer, Ford

Who would offer insurance on something like this?

Would it be Taxi Insurance?

Rough ideas of how much would it cost to insure?

It won't be for at least a year so still in the thinking stage

There seems to be no real information out there past the licencing stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You will have to apply for a PSV license, (Public Service Vehicle,)

This will also involve a sitting of a related driver theory test. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Hard to say but contact someone in the same line of business and they should be able to tell you.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Hard to say but contact someone in the same line of business and they should be able to tell you.
    They may not be too helpful, IE more competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

They may not be too helpful, IE more competition.
    Yeah I know but he could ring someone at the other end of the country.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Yeah I know but he could ring someone at the other end of the country.
    May be also worth contacting various insurance companies for quotes, I believe the car will also need roadworthy if it is to be used for reward.

What he could do if he had something very unusual is to contact various agencies and put his name on a list for somone looking for an American car. I know someone in Waterford that hires out a trike for biker weddings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MorrisCooper

Right so,

I run 3 vintage cars for weddings and it works like this:

1. you must have a PSV licence;
    2. The car must pass a suitability test at an NCT centre;
    3. You must get the car NCTed and issued with a limousine licence every 12 months;
    4. YOu need insurance for public hire and must be able to produce a tax clearance cert;
    5. You must have a silver disc in the corner of your windscreen. If it ain't there, you're a cowboy - no exceptions.

Insurance costs 1100 TP only with JF Dunne Insurances in Kill. There are policies available from Carole Nash but it's a bit iffy, it will cover 8 weddings but you can't advertise as a business. I wouldn't chance it.

In a nutshell a vintage wedding car is treated just like a taxi or hackney. There are a few chancers out there but apparently there was a case recently in Blarney where the Taxi Regulator arrived on while the photos were being taken and threatened to seize your man's car.

Good luck with your purchase but bear in mind that your preference in cars might not be what brides are looking for. Most lads have no say in the choice of car so keep this in mind with whatever you go for.

Billy
    www.avondhulimos.com

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MorrisCooper

There's another set-up cost I forgot to mention. There's a first-time charge of 1000 Euros per car for the initial limousine licence and if you don't renew before your current licence expires, you're back to square one again. There was some flexibility when the new system was introduced but now it's a case that you are given 3 months notice to renew your licence and if you miss that date, it's too bad.

Billy

Advertisement