Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The '09 NRL Thread. *will contain spoilers*

• 12-03-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

NRL kicks off tomorrow morning 9:30, our time. Opening game Broncos V Cowboys...9:30am Setanta. Saturday 8:30 am Bulldogs V Manly....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Great season opening game.

Wasn't all that impressed with the games I caught last season but if the rest of the season can live up to today it'll be great :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

What a fantastic opening game, essence of rugby league...brilliant stuff. Looks like the Cowboys are back on song after last years shocker. Lockyer seems to have gotten over the RLWC and Folau well, what can you say? Superb rugby, and an testament to the quality of the Aussie competition, an opening game of that intensity, skill and ferocity bodes well for the coming season...

..and I can't believe how well the two refs worked...who knew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

crikey, the dogs were impressive out there today. Brett Kimmorley could make a huge difference this season for the Canterbury boys.

old gregg wrote: »
    crikey, the dogs were impressive out there today. Brett Kimmorley could make a huge difference this season for the Canterbury boys.

Yeah, the Dogs must have had a few practice sessions in a swimming pool prior to KO...full credit to both teams for playing attractive,adventurous rugby, despite the monsoon! (Manly must've thought they were still in leeds!) Kimmorley a joy to watch, as always, in many ways the complete rugby league footballer...

toomevara wrote: »
    What a fantastic opening game, essence of rugby league...brilliant stuff. Looks like the Cowboys are back on song after last years shocker. Lockyer seems to have gotten over the RLWC and Folau well, what can you say? Superb rugby, and an testament to the quality of the Aussie competition, an opening game of that intensity, skill and ferocity bodes well for the coming season...

..and I can't believe how well the two refs worked...who knew?

Heh, i feel like a gimp admitting this, I didn't even notice the two refs. Forgot it was coming in and didn't even notice them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the Dogs must have had a few practice sessions in a swimming pool prior to KO...full credit to both teams for playing attractive,adventurous rugby, despite the monsoon! (Manly must've thought they were still in leeds!) Kimmorley a joy to watch, as always, in many ways the complete rugby league footballer...
    I had a friend from Manly who travelled out to the game with his elderly father and suddenly found traffic being re-routed because of a Coldplay gig due to take place, he ended up waiting for a shuttle bus in the bucketing rain and arriving into the stadium just at the end of the first half. Not a happy camper :eek:, still there won't be may happy campers out at Manly at the moment. Talk about screwing up the start of your season before a ball is played.

Kimmorley brings wonderful leadership to a team for sure, great footy player.

Blazing sunshine in Ireland for the weekend and a Roosters win in Oz and I'd be as happy as El Masri right now :)

amacachi wrote: »
    Heh, i feel like a gimp admitting this, I didn't even notice the two refs. Forgot it was coming in and didn't even notice them.

In a way amacachi, that probably means it works!!!

Blazing sunshine in Ireland for the weekend and a Roosters win in Oz and I'd be as happy as El Masri right now :)

heh-heh..we'll see, go Bunnies....!;)

Bunnies v Roosters .... it's just wonderful having them play each other, it's like the annual day of footy heaven for us 'older folk' :p

In a way amacachi, that probably means it works!!!

Absolutely. Still feel like an idiot for not noticing though :P

More noticable in the Bulldogs-Manly match, but did a great job again. Seemed to be a lot of mouthing from the Sea Eagles.

Idris looks to be one to keep an eye on.

Have to say it was a brilliant match, the players really earned their money, torrential rain and they were throwing it round like they were in the park. Great running and some lovely tries, not to mention some catches an AFL player would be proud of. And the kicking of Hazem, ****ing impressive.

• Advertisement

Idris looks to be one to keep an eye on.

Definitely, was very impressed with all aspects of his play....

heh-heh..we'll see, go Bunnies....!;)
    well, one of us appears to have gotten what they wanted :p

well, one of us appears to have gotten what they wanted :p

Wow! thats a scoreline I definitely did not expect...astonishing. Hopefully I'll catch highlights on the footy show...Roosters must've imploded? At least the sun shining Gregg...1 out of 2 aint bad.....

Rabbitohs v Eels looks like a tasty game for Friday, shame it's not on tv over here. Bunnies for the win again?

Ya know how sometimes ya wonder how laws haven't been made to ban something? I wonder this quite often while watching Rugby :P

Penrith v Bulldogs, what a match.

Bunnies for the win again?

Classic bunnies....great one week, play like drains the next....:(

As for the weekend's other games...really good stuff, the NRL continues to go from strength to strength, but how in hell did the Dogs manage to win that game??? Fair play to them and great to see them back...Eastwood's really showing us what we're missing in Leeds....Kimmorley good agin , though not quite on a par with last week, Idris still in storming form and how about El-Masri's kick at the end?...a machine.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Classic bunnies....great one week, play like drains the next....:(

As for the weekend's other games...really good stuff, the NRL continues to go from strength to strength, but how in hell did the Dogs manage to win that game??? Fair play to them and great to see them back...Eastwood's really showing us what we're missing in Leeds....Kimmorley good agin , though not quite on a par with last week, Idris still in storming form and how about El-Masri's kick at the end?...a machine.....

Haven't we got on option on him in december if he can get a Visa... think is, will he bother?

it does look like shaping up into a great season for sure. Nice to see a few teams turn around a defeat in week 1 into a win in week 2 and only 3 teams left to register a point. I guess that once Manly get their focus back it will be business as usual out in Brookvale.

Haven't we got on option on him in december if he can get a Visa... think is, will he bother?

Not sure, he's signed a three year deal with the Dogs, that much I do know..not sure about get out clauses etc....

• Advertisement

ah we're not going to have another season of everyone robbing the Dogs of their best players just when things are looking up for them :D

next thing you know you'll have El Masri kicking them over down in Limerick :P

next thing you know you'll have El Masri kicking them over down in Limerick :P

Why the hell not! We could do with a back-up for ROG....

Why the hell not! We could do with a back-up for ROG....
    o the IRFU blazers will love you for that. Dumping the pin-up boy ROG and bringing in a League fella :p

Only one game this weekend on Setanta..less than impressed!!

Eels V Raiders, 8:30 am...Saturday, Setanta

Only one game this weekend on Setanta..less than impressed!!

Eels V Raiders, 8:30 am...Saturday, Setanta

Bloody awful game, from two teams that need to smarten up considerably or face a long, long season...Basic errors, no tactical nous whatsoever..desperate stuff to watch...

Only caught the last 15-20 minutes which by the sounds of it was the best thing that could've happened :P

Only caught the last 15-20 minutes which by the sounds of it was the best thing that could've happened :P

Yep, you got away light....a timely reminder that the NRL can produce skill-free dross fests, contrary to much 'informed' opinion...

could only catch the Roosters v Broncos game via audio on the web today but it sounded like a real cracker. Pity the Roosters left it a little too late to step on the gas.

Manly v Balmain on Sunday, South Sydney v Canterbury on Monday ... *sighs* feels like the 60's all over again :)

Anyone watch St George V Newcastle at the weekend? how bloody annoying is Wendell Sailor....his antics after he scored his second try were verging on the soccer-esque...

• Advertisement

Anyone watch St George V Newcastle at the weekend? how bloody annoying is Wendell Sailor....his antics after he scored his second try were verging on the soccer-esque...

Only saw bits of it, need Sky+. What was he at anyway?

Advertisement