Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing pre paid no

• 12-03-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Was sent a threatning message from a no the other day I rang the provider and told me that the no is not registered with the carrier so it is a pre paid sim card, I rang back the no and I get the message this no is not in service do I have a chance of finding this person ? The gardai told me there's most they can do about it seeing as it's a pre paid no and the phone is turned off?
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

FAQ from O2 website (just taking them as an example).
    Q. Can I block a number from calling or texting my phone?

A. No. Unfortunately at present O2 are unable to provide a service that bars incoming calls or texts from a particular number.
    Horizontal Rule
    Q. Can O2 identify numbers that are calling from a withheld number?

A. Yes, in majority of cases. As long as you supply accurate times and dates of the received calls, O2 can attempt to trace the calling number.

NB. Any trace results can only be passed on to the Gardai to assist in an investigation and will not be supplied directly to customers.
    Horizontal Rule
    Q. Some tips on how to handle nuisance calls?

A. Receiving nuisance calls and text messages can be very upsetting. If you're unfortunate enough to be receiving them remain calm and read the text carefully before deciding what to do next.

If you have a Symbian phone (or some Samsungs) you can set it to block texts from that number.

Your network will not give you information on a subscriber, it's against the DPA.

The Garda is your best bet. Call to the station and advise you would like to make a complaint / statement.

The most you can really hope for is the network terminating the number that's sending you abuse though I would imagine, I doubt they'd go CSI on it.

+ edit
    I just read the bit where you rang it and it says the number is not in service. Someone may be using a webbased service or something to spoof the number. Chances are though they just have no voicemail setup and the network is giving you a dodgy automated message.

Personally I'd just ignore it. One message (unless it leads you to believe your life is actually in danger) is nothing to worry about in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

OP, since you didn't mention which network you are on, this may or may not be of assistance. Meteor offer the service of blocking nuisance/threatening calls, so long as you can provide the number(s) to them. Your request has to be in writing and stamped/signed by the Gardai, though I have heard of customers who didn't have to their letter stamped/signed by the Gardai. I haven't heard of any other network in the country that offers this service.

Random is also correct regarding Samsung handsets and blocking incoming sms. The vast majority of Samsung handsets have this feature and have a feature to block incoming calls too.

Advertisement