Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get much grief over being vegetarian/vegan?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

phic wrote: »
    While his wife went on about how I have make sure to eat nuts for protein...sigh some people dont realise their hypocrisy!

Ah, the amount of times people have told me I can't possibly be a healthy vegan when I'm allergic to nuts... because apparently there are NO other vegan sources of protein. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

lol meat and two veg is exactly what it is!!! have u ever been stuck in a carvery place like in a pub or whatever and they do 'meat and two veg' and when u ask for JUST a plate of veg, there is suddenly a big problem!!

dont usually go to places like this but sometimes u get stuck there, was out with family when i got stuck, asked for plate of veg, the girl had to go off and ask her manager if that was allowed!!!
    he began to serve me, kept repeating 'just veg is it??'
    'yes just veg please'
    then he grabs the gravy and goes to pour it on top while saying 'gravy?'
    i nearly jumped over the counter 'NO!'
    he looked at me like i had two heads.
    i proceeded to the till, the girl on the till was like 'is there jus veg on dat plate ye?'
    she had to go off and ask the chef, who had a discussion with the manager.
    eventually they gave me a price for my 'just veg'!!!

cant remember how much! lol

im guessing i was their first vegetarian!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

maameeo wrote: »
    lol meat and two veg is exactly what it is!!! have u ever been stuck in a carvery place like in a pub or whatever and they do 'meat and two veg' and when u ask for JUST a plate of veg, there is suddenly a big problem!!

dont usually go to places like this but sometimes u get stuck there, was out with family when i got stuck, asked for plate of veg, the girl had to go off and ask her manager if that was allowed!!!
    'yes just veg please'
    i proceeded to the till, the girl on the till was like 'is there jus veg on dat plate ye?'

Haha yeah I've been there! why don't they understand about gravy?? On the plus side, they usually give you the veg at a ridiculously low price due to their confusion! At my local carvery place, it's like €3 for a full plate of (admittedly dryed up) veg!

-lala- wrote: »
    Ah, the amount of times people have told me I can't possibly be a healthy vegan when I'm allergic to nuts... because apparently there are NO other vegan sources of protein. :rolleyes:

oh god I can only imagine, how much fun that is...what I love most about this is they presumably think we actually havn't realised we might need some protein!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

'yes just veg please'

Ahahahahaa! Love the description :)

• Advertisement

phic wrote: »
    Haha yeah I've been there! why don't they understand about gravy??

A surprisingly high number of people just don't understand about ANYTHING that isn't very visibly meat, etc, i.e. people get that vegetarians won't have a steak, but when it comes to gelatine, gravy, cheese with rennet, sure that's not meat, why won't they have that? And the same with people understanding that vegans won't eat a boiled egg, but not understanding that we also won't eat cake made with eggs!
    I suppose people don't think about what's in things, so if they haven't already thought about what's in something, when you ask them if it has whatever in it they'll automatically say no. Sure even one day in Cornucopia when I asked if something had soya in it, yer man said "no, it's just vegetables and tofu!".

A surprisingly high number of people just don't understand about ANYTHING that isn't very visibly meat, etc, i.e. people get that vegetarians won't have a steak, but when it comes to gelatine, gravy, cheese with rennet, sure that's not meat, why won't they have that? And the same with people understanding that vegans won't eat a boiled egg, but not understanding that we also won't eat cake made with eggs!
    I suppose people don't think about what's in things, so if they haven't already thought about what's in something, when you ask them if it has whatever in it they'll automatically say no. Sure even one day in Cornucopia when I asked if something had soya in it, yer man said "no, it's just vegetables and tofu!".

lol!
    so true about the meat vs gelatine etc, people dont get that when i tell them, 'no thanks, i wont have a jelly'
    'aww why'
    'emm im vegetarian'
    'whats that got to do with it'
    *explain*
    'ooh are you that STRICT'

is there different types or strictness in vegetarianism/veganism? besides people who dont eat meat coz they dont like it.

In fairness I did go an embarrassingly long time without realising about gelatine and rennet and the like! but they're slightly less obvious than gravy I think!Or perhaps thats just me!
    Oh my cornucopia would not be happy if they knew about that, they seem to try very hard for people to know what they're eating! Actually though, again I didn't know about tofu and soy! But then I don't work in a vegetarian restaurant...hmm after reading this post, think I better go learn me some nutrition!

lol!
    so true about the meat vs gelatine etc, people dont get that when i tell them, 'no thanks, i wont have a jelly'
    'aww why'
    'emm im vegetarian'
    'whats that got to do with it'
    *explain*
    'ooh are you that STRICT'

is there different types or strictness in vegetarianism/veganism? besides people who dont eat meat coz they dont like it.
    Well I suppose it's like the fish thing, I know plenty of people who say they're vegetarian, but eat jellies and stuff...one of those also eats ham though! I'm quite inclined myself to not mind too much about cheese when I'm out, because you can never really know if its veggie or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

'yes just veg please'

Worse still is when a waiter/ress actually lies about what is in a particular sauce or doesnt know what a vegan/vegetarian is and tries to wing it thinking the customer wont know. There is zero problem with asking what a vegan or vegetarian actually eats!

Im not a vegan or vegetarian but have two close friends who are and this happened to us the other day.

But from a pure meat eaters point of view I gotta say, in general, I admire all vegans and vegetarians. Simple reason is theyre doing something they believe in and from my point of view it requires abstaining from something I enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Collie147

I love you guys!!!I think I've been in most of these situations before if not all. The worst had to have been in school, and certain times interrailing around europe! Not gonna go too indepth, but when you're sooo hungry from trying to find stuff and everyone else is a meat eater and just tired of walking around until you find something or rushing to find something before a 15 hour train journey... having to order a big mac without the meat is the epitomy of veggiedesperation.

I found out their fries contain beef extract years later. If I had known that at the time I'd have prefared to have starved... (or just eaten ketchup packets)

Katarn1 wrote: »
    But from a pure meat eaters point of view I gotta say, in general, I admire all vegans and vegetarians. Simple reason is theyre doing something they believe in and from my point of view it requires abstaining from something I enjoy!

Nice to know we're appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Collie147 wrote: »
    I love you guys!!!I think I've been in most of these situations before if not all. The worst had to have been in school, and certain times interrailing around europe! Not gonna go too indepth, but when you're sooo hungry from trying to find stuff and everyone else is a meat eater and just tired of walking around until you find something or rushing to find something before a 15 hour train journey... having to order a big mac without the meat is the epitomy of veggiedesperation.

I found out their fries contain beef extract years later. If I had known that at the time I'd have prefared to have starved... (or just eaten ketchup packets)

awww! that sucks!

Collie147 wrote: »

lol, i remember finding out about 'veggie' big macs! i was like wtf! buns and lettuce,why?!!!
    iv a few friends who love it! i wouldnt be tempted, dont eat in mickie dees but i can imagine in a desperate situation like that, i probably wud!
    *sympathy*

:)

Katarn1 wrote: »
    Worse still is when a waiter/ress actually lies about what is in a particular sauce or doesnt know what a vegan/vegetarian is and tries to wing it thinking the customer wont know. There is zero problem with asking what a vegan or vegetarian actually eats!

Im not a vegan or vegetarian but have two close friends who are and this happened to us the other day.

I know, iv found people lying to me before, especially about soup!!
    you can so tell when they are lying! lol

thanks for the veggie support! :D

I know, iv found people lying to me before, especially about soup!!
    you can so tell when they are lying! lol

*sigh* They tend to think that meat stock doesn't count...:confused:

*sigh* They tend to think that meat stock doesn't count...:confused:

stock! sure theres no meat in that, just bones and leftovers :rolleyes:
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I get some grief off some people, especially since I'm a guy and it isn't macho or whatever :rolleyes: but I don't really care, & overall most people are accepting of it. :)

lalee17 wrote: »
    I get some grief off some people, especially since I'm a guy and it isn't macho or whatever :rolleyes: but I don't really care, & overall most people are accepting of it. :)

hate that! why does eating meat make u macho?! it must date back to cave men!
    just means you've evolved! lol :)

Have to admit, I've rarely come across male vegetarians.

Good for you! You're more macho than the rest of the male population put together. Or something. :)

• Advertisement

most punk guys are veggie, and theyre quiet macho! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Get your friends to listen to this macho man, who doesn't feel the need to eat meat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjf-r3c4L1M

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

hate that! why does eating meat make u macho?! it must date back to cave men!
    just means you've evolved! lol :)
    How exactly does it mean he's evolved?

oh iv nothing to back this up, i was just kidding :P

Lighten up! She was clearly joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Kiddynamite

On the macho thing, sure having will power is more admirable than acting hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

I've received a fair amount of nasty comments since I became vegan over a year and a half ago. My eldest (or is it oldest...dunno) brother (in the other room so I could still hear everything) giving out to my whole family about me being a vegan "I don't know what she eats...what the hell can she eat?!" and before anyone could answer he was ranting some more so he didn't actually want an answer. He was just being completely ignorant. He constantly makes comments about my choice to be vegan but this was the only time he had an outburst, it was pretty upsetting for me. Nobody really defended me either, they tried but didn't succeed.

Weird thing is that I was vegetarian for 10 years before going vegan, it's not like this is a totally new thing for my brother to accept! Maybe it's because he had moved out of the family home when I was 12 so he didn't see me eating veggie foods all the time like the rest of my family did.

When I went vegetarian my dad said "but you'll still have some pork won't you? I bought it in special cos I know you don't eat red meat..." I said "Dad I don't eat any meat" "But you will have some chicken right?" Bless him, I could never be angry at him, he just didn't understand. But when I went vegan I was expecting some verbal abuse from him that I'm harming my body and I will end up dying!! but he said "Fair play to you, I think humans are meant to eat a plant based diet anyhow. All this meat and animal fat can't be good for us". Oh my heart warmed at that moment, I miss my daddy :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hard to reply to that! I know your dads type, my parents are the same, always looking out for our best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Hard to reply to that! I know your dads type, my parents are the same, always looking out for our best. :)

Yeah I know. My dad was gas though. He didn't think fish were meat...then I said yeah but they're not vegetables...he seemed to think you could be vegetarian and still eat them cos they're not really the same...even though they do have flesh. *shudder*

And my mam only ever accidentally fed me meat. She kept getting me these "vegetarian" spring rolls when I was in my early teens. After I had a few I noticed that she bought the wrong ones, same brand and all, but it had mince in it...never seen a spring roll to have mince in it. She told me it was mushroom...hehe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes my parents took a while to understand the fish thing, I'll probably get asked again...lol.
    But I think they know I'm the one that doesn't eat fish and my sister started eating it again, so they might remember I'm the more awkward one!

Mushroom eh? :D

Advertisement