Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get much grief over being vegetarian/vegan?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I usually just craic a joke about probably being the only vegetarian son of a farmer with a hunting rifle in the country!

I'm not opposed to people eating meat though and I don't ever check the labels for ingredients but I just don't like the taste of meat so I think that calms people down when they question me about it! I also eat a lot of fish so that allays their suspicions a bit.

I think they find it stranger that a mate of mine doesn't eat spuds!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye I think a lot of people would understand the not liking the taste thing easier(Not me, oooh yum :-p). I did get a lot of 'what, do you not like the taste?' back in the day.

It's also pretty comical when people say "but you eat chicken don't you?", I think it scares people when you say no.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I usually just craic a joke about probably being the only vegetarian son of a farmer with a hunting rifle in the country!

Don't I count as a daughter? :(

I've been a veggie for the best part of 20 years now.
    And every couple of months my Dad offers me steak. With this puppy dog face. lol.
    Funnily enough if he is having a rant, he is much more upset that I don't live off potatos.
    He used to send me up to College with 4 stone bags back in the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's also pretty comical when people say "but you eat chicken don't you?", I think it scares people when you say no.
    Why, are they chicken? :pac:
    Sorry.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Don't I count as a daughter? :(

I've been a veggie for the best part of 20 years now.
    And every couple of months my Dad offers me steak. With this puppy dog face. lol.
    Funnily enough if he is having a rant, he is much more upset that I don't live off potatos.
    He used to send me up to College with 4 stone bags back in the day.
    I'd like your dad, give me potatoessss.
    nomnomnom

• Advertisement

Why, are they chicken? :pac:
    Sorry.

Boo-urns. :eek:

I'll admit, I shouldn't have written that 'joke'. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I had dinner with the vegetarian son of a butcher on sunday. Poor fella said he gets a bit of grief over it, mainly from his friends, or when meeting new people. "you mean you're veggie, but, isn't your dad a butcher....?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Yes my parents took a while to understand the fish thing, I'll probably get asked again...lol.
    But I think they know I'm the one that doesn't eat fish and my sister started eating it again, so they might remember I'm the more awkward one!

Mushroom eh? :D
    Yeah parents are funny alright! They seem to have memory loss every now and then even though you tell them a million times! Sure my mam still thinks that my sister in law is a vegetarian even though she eats fish! The madness of it all!

yeah....mushrooms...she told me it's broken up mushrooms..."but mam it looks like meat"..."I'll check the packet"...."aww crud"...that's the dialogue of what happened.
    I think they find it stranger that a mate of mine doesn't eat spuds!
    Yeah people freak out when they meet someone that doesn't like spuds. They try convert them to being spud eaters. I, for one, love spuds...spuds and bread are two things I couldn't do without. Mmmm starchy.
    Yeah!! It is like they get freaked out at the prospect that someone doesn't eat chicken...I mean EVERYONE eats chicken!!

Eviecus wrote: »
    Yeah parents are funny alright! They seem to have memory loss every now and then even though you tell them a million times! Sure my mam still thinks that my sister in law is a vegetarian even though she eats fish! The madness of it all!

yeah....mushrooms...she told me it's broken up mushrooms..."but mam it looks like meat"..."I'll check the packet"...."aww crud"...that's the dialogue of what happened.
    Ah they are funny, was telling dad what iate yesterday, listing out vegetables and said potato last. he was like, thank god, at least you got some potatoes in there. :D
    Yeah people freak out when they meet someone that doesn't like spuds. They try convert them to being spud eaters. I, for one, love spuds...spuds and bread are two things I couldn't do without. Mmmm starchy.
    Somebody doesn't like potato? Where, i have to cook for them NOW.
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I also eat a lot of fish

'Don't mean to be a hard ass but your not actually a vegetarian. You're a pescetarian, so you are.

I confuses staff in restaurants, among others and they expect anyone claiming to be a veggie to eat fish, fish stock, etc. so they get mighty uppity if you say, 'no way, Jose'. :o

But I won't tell if you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Ah they are funny, was telling dad what iate yesterday, listing out vegetables and said potato last. he was like, thank god, at least you got some potatoes in there. :D

Somebody doesn't like potato? Where, i have to cook for them NOW.
    :p

Ah bless, your dad sounds so cute!! My dad was like that too! He loved his spuds he did! He was a meat and 2 veg kinda man...and the two veg were potatoes and peas!! hehe! And on the odd occassion cabbage or carrot!

Yeah weird innit? A girl in work doesn't eat potatoes! hates the texture! Oh and my sister in law won't eat potatoes either! She will have chips and crisps but not mash or spuds!

Eviecus wrote: »
    Ah bless, your dad sounds so cute!! My dad was like that too! He loved his spuds he did! He was a meat and 2 veg kinda man...and the two veg were potatoes and peas!! hehe! And on the odd occassion cabbage or carrot!

Yeah weird innit? A girl in work doesn't eat potatoes! hates the texture! Oh and my sister in law won't eat potatoes either! She will have chips and crisps but not mash or spuds!

He is like me, but my 2 veg were potato and potato!
    I don't understand those that don't like it, was talking to a girl that didnt last night, going through all the types and she didn't like em. me there stood in disbelief, 'we are just not compatable' :D

Advertisement