Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Newry soon - some advice

Options
  • 12-03-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    My pregnant wife and I are moving to Newry in a few weeks and would appreciate advice on some good places to rent a house or big apartment.

It wouldn't have to be in Newry itself as I will be working across the border in the South so prob closer to the M1 the better.

Also are there good online sites for rental property in Newry?

Any other advice for newcomers to the area..

Thnx
    Paraic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Hi Paraic,

I'm an expert in this believe me! I'm a Dub but moved to Newry last Feb with work (I recently moved back to Dublin after a year). The local newspapers is where everyone advertises rented accommadation. The two papers are the Newry Reporter and the Newry Democrat. The Reporter has a bigger following and is the best place to start, The Democrat only has a handful of to let adverts but the Reporter has loads! The new editions come out every Wednesday. In terms of areas within Newry, I stayed with a work colleague for a while until I got myself settled. The Belfast Rd area and all the way up the Rathfriland Rd or just off it is a good area. The Dublin Rd and anything off it is a good area also- they're the best areas in my opinion.

I found it very difficult to meet new people as I moved up to Newry on my own. I found my own apartment and brought someone in to share it with me and got on brilliant with her. Her brother owns a bar in the town which then became my local and met all the regulars- within the space of two weeks of this girl moving in I had a circle of friends!

If you need any other advice- can give you absolutely tonnes which would take too long to write on this- anything from doctors to dentists to the best fruit and veg shops to buy your fresh stuff in! PM me if you need any other info- I would have appreciated knowing someone who knew the area when I initially made the move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

Hey, pretty much what idontknowmyname said

Get urself the democrat/reporter and have a browse, most of the town is pretty civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Just remember another few things when renting a place in the north- ask if the 'rates' are included in the rent, this is pretty much the council tax you have to pay, i think it depends on the square footage of where you eventually get. I had a spacious apartment and the rates which were £600 per year and were included in the rent.
    Also if heating is with Calor Gas- you need to pay a £200 deposit which is refundable once you leave. My landlord thought it would only be £50 and it killed me financially after paying rent and deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PinkRed

Hi,

I'm based in Galway at the minute but I'm strongly considering moving to Newry for work reasons and the reduced cost of living.

I'm in my mid 20's, I don't drive and I would be moving there alone. Is it the kind of place where you can make friends, i.e. is it good for clubs, night classes, nightlife in general??

Any help with this deision would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chewbaca11

Hi im about to get a job in Newry and am having trouble finding somewhere to live too... I feel i might have to move into my own place (would prefer to move into a share house as cannot afford one to myself). So I might have to get someone to move into a house once i have it sorted. I dont know alot about the place, have no friends there either, I only have mates in Dublin.

I've been a fair few times and it seems like an ok place to live. I'd suggest a visit to Newry and while your up there make the most of it by doing your weekly shop! And dont forget your newspapers for places to rent etc!

• Advertisement
Advertisement