Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker Round Roast

• 12-03-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

Right, I got a great bit of value today in SuperValu. A round roast, a bag of new potatoes and a bag of carrots for €6. I also have a new slow cooker. Does anybody have a great recipe for slow cooked round roast? I think that round roast has a tendency to be a little dry. Is there anything I can do to make it moister?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

the problem with the round cut is that it's very very lean and as such dries out very quickly.

Try braising it or cooking it medium-rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Fry it on a pan first.
    Then put it in foil with some water and red wine while roasting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm sure there are lots of recipes on the web, but if I were you I'd sear it on a pan, then put it in the slow cooker with around half a pint of stock or water and a roughly chopped carrot, stick of celery and onion for flavour. Then 9-10 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high and it will be really tender and flavoursome.
    I did a loin of pork in the slow cooker a few weeks ago and it was beautiful - like round roast it can be a bit dry, but not when you do it in the slow cooker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Thanks Dizzyblonde, you have become my slow cooker guru!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

mags, I haven't cooked a joint of beef in the slow cooker myself yet so I'd love to know how it turns out :)

• Advertisement

Dizzy if a loin of pork came out great than a round (very similar structured cut) will come out much the same, braising a cut of meat like that for a long time (like you said 8-9 hours) is defo the bets way to use it to it's best.

However, I'd never use a loin of pork that way because I think the cracklin is one of the best parts of the joint, but I'm sure it tastes amazing.

Seaneh wrote: »
    However, I'd never use a loin of pork that way because I think the cracklin is one of the best parts of the joint, but I'm sure it tastes amazing.

Me too normally, but this one had no rind and I cooked it in a char siu marinade - it was fab :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm sure there are lots of recipes on the web, but if I were you I'd sear it on a pan, then put it in the slow cooker with around half a pint of stock or water and a roughly chopped carrot, stick of celery and onion for flavour. Then 9-10 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high and it will be really tender and flavoursome.
    I did a loin of pork in the slow cooker a few weeks ago and it was beautiful - like round roast it can be a bit dry, but not when you do it in the slow cooker :)

I'd be interested to know how that would turn out.
    That would probably be the best way to cook it but I've never had round steak that I like. It's about the only cut of beef I have never tasted good. It's terrible stewed, roast, fried, even makes rotten mince.

I'd love to know how it would be cooked as above. Not willing to try it myself, though!!

Me too normally, but this one had no rind and I cooked it in a char siu marinade - it was fab :)

well in that case my good woman I would have done exactly the same thing!

mags, I haven't cooked a joint of beef in the slow cooker myself yet so I'd love to know how it turns out :)

I'll do it tomorrow and let you know. I think I'll brown the beef in the pan in the morning and place it in the slow cooker on top of some chopped celery, onion and carrot. I'll mix a glass of red wine with some stock, Worcestershire sauce,a little tomato puree, salt, pepper and maybe some sugar and pour it over the meat. As you said, there should be a total of 1/2 pint of liquid. 8 to 10 hours on low should do it.

Any comments on the recipe above?

If it turns out well, it'll be the best value dinner ever!!

• Advertisement

That recipe you posted sounds amazing and should make an amazing sauce if you thickened it with a beurre manié after you remove the joint.

Seaneh wrote: »
    That recipe you posted sounds amazing and should make an amazing sauce if you thickened it with a beurre manié after you remove the joint.

Excellent idea. I assume beurre manie is like a roux?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Right, I got a great bit of value today in SuperValu. A round roast, a bag of new potatoes and a bag of carrots for €6.

Where did you get this sort of value? Unless its a round roast of roadkill badger, theres nothing like that for a price in my local Supervalu :(

No it's not roadkill badger! It's a special in SuperValu until tomorrow. Half price round roast with a bag of carrots and spuds thrown in. I got mine in the SuperValu near the Spawell yesterday.

mags16 wrote: »
    Excellent idea. I assume beurre manie is like a roux?

Yeah expect you don't cook it to that sandy texture you woulda roux, just cream the flour and butter together and then add the liquid bit by bit in a clean pun, but not over heat and if you feel it needs to cook out a bit do it after you've incorerated all the liquid and don't let it boil.

I cooked the round roast in the slow cooker as I described in an earlier post. The only change was I added 2 chopped cloves of garlic and a couple of bay leaves. After 10 hours, I removed the meat and kept it warm in the oven. I strained the cooking liquid through a sieve, squeezing the veg pulp to add flavour. I made a roux and made the sauce with the liquid to serve on the side.

The meat was succulent and soft, falling apart in flakes. It wasn't packed with flavour, but I wonder if round roast ever is. What was a revelation was the sauce. It was absolutely gorgeous - sweetish, meaty, absolutely amazing when poured on mashed potatoes. It was also great with the meat. All in all, the meal was a success. I would make it again. For €6, I fed 4 adults with roast beef, carrots and spuds. That's €1.5 per person. Not bad, eh?

(€6 did not include the 2 bottles of wine, or the cheese, or the chocolates or the ice cream cake I found in the freezer :D)

That sounds fab mags, I'm definitely going to try it but with rib roast. I love this kind of food.

/me goes off to tesco to buy an €15 slow cooker...

Advertisement