Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland isn't Korea or Holland !

Options
  • 12-03-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

....all those countries that the gurus keep referring to..... the folks there live in high density skyscrapers...

Dublin = low density semi D sprawl or cowboy built 3-4 story apartment complexes which won't last 20 years...

If you had a few million kicking around which would you invest in for broadband @ a return of a tenner a month per house ?

Comments

I was in holland last week, there not stinking rich, didnt see too many skyscrapers either. just have everything organized well, transport, communications ect.

120MB fibre BB for 70e a month :).

Whats the point of this thread anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

cisk wrote: »
    Whats the point of this thread anyway?

Justifying Ireland's awful broadband.
    Apologising for Ireland's awful broadband.
    Defending Ireland's awful broadband.
    Avoiding constructive debate on Ireland's awful broadband.

One of these I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

cfriel2002 wrote: »
    ....all those countries that the gurus keep referring to..... the folks there live in high density skyscrapers...

We are more like Finland and guess what they've managed?
    Fibre to within within 2km of every home in their country.

It can be done and no you don't need to live in a "skyscraper" for it to happen, it just takes vision and willpower.

And guess what civil works cost roughly the same in Finland as here and they have to dig up frozen "wastes" to do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

bealtine wrote: »
    We are more like Finland and guess what they've managed?
    Fibre to within within 2km of every home in their country.

It can be done and no you don't need to live in a "skyscraper" for it to happen, it just takes vision and willpower.

And guess what civil works cost roughly the same in Finland as here and they have to dig up frozen "wastes" to do it too.

+1

For me I feel that it all comes down to the country being run by a bunch of uneducated idiots (regarding technology at least). I feel that they are doing nothing more than driving the country into the ground.

These people haven't used the technologies, let alone understood them.
    A perfect example of this is the whole "midband" thing - the should NEVER have been allowed happen.

We're a laughing stock and we will remain one for the forseeable future IMO.

I hope the government get what they deserve - its just a matter of time before alot of Larger companies pull out, obviously not just because of the infrastructure issue but any serious network engineer would see it as a deciding factor.

May its just me... but again just my 0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

the politicans dont give a toss, they are mostly all 50 years old +
    they dont understand what broadband means, its not their generation
    so there is no will,
    we are a disgrace of a nation, eircom now threating not fibre the rest of the country,
    time to up and leave

• Advertisement

BOBBY wrote: »
    the politicans dont give a toss, they are mostly all 50 years old +
    they dont understand what broadband means, its not their generation
    so there is no will,
    we are a disgrace of a nation, eircom now threating not fibre the rest of the country,
    time to up and leave
    Agreed and thats what I'm doing.
    CCIE, here I come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Unless the government start considering fibre to the home which would cost a paltry few billion theres no point in calling ourselves a knowledge economy.

kmick wrote: »
    Unless the government start considering fibre to the home which would cost a paltry few billion theres no point in calling ourselves a knowledge economy.

Yes it would cost a fortune but think of the return on investment. "cost" is not really an issue here with something so important.

Communication is key to everyday life and so this should be taken seriously.

I give up anyway, they have ruined an industry already and hindered the growth of a very profitable sector which would in turn bring more value to our economy.

To be honest, the country can go under as far as I'm concerned. I don't care for such ignorance anymore ... and I hope it does.

Hmm... I wonder how many new IT related startups were launched in Ireland so far in 2009? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Dublin = low density semi D sprawl or cowboy built 3-4 story apartment complexes which won't last 20 years...

If you had a few million kicking around which would you invest in for broadband @ a return of a tenner a month per house ?

This is just the kind of thinking we need, way to go man. You should run for government.

Sure while we are at it, we are not the UK, let us dig up all the roads outside of Dublin, no one lives in the west for a start and a 60Million bypass around Charlestown was a waste of time. What was the return on investment with that project? Sure was there not already a road for them to use?

I will end my sarcastic tone here, what you said has sickened me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cfriel2002

lack of high bandwidth internet access is a significant issue but not the deciding factor,

It comes down to costs,

* salaries
    * energy
    * taxes
    * communications (yes broadband & roads)
    * education

Having a few facebook/google behemoths here is great but some would say a defense industry (morality aside) here would do more for the wider local economy and future prospects for this little island of ours

* precision engineering
    * metalurgy expertise
    * manufacturing techniques
    * design & innovation
    * software modelling
    * international trade
    etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

iRock wrote: »
    Yes it would cost a fortune but think of the return on investment. "cost" is not really an issue here with something so important.

We had 10 years of an upturn in our economy just recently and nothing was done, do you honestly think in the current climate that will happen ? They don't care that much or maybe they don't understand how much the country can gain from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

lack of high bandwidth internet access is a significant issue

Which book of government excuses did you consult?

Advertisement