Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop or router

Options
  • 13-03-2009 12:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

my internet keeps dropping, i have dell inspirion 1520 and a netgear wireless router, i click onto a wed site and it will take 3-5 secs and connect or not, refresh and with will connect, the internet connected icon will sometimes shows local access only...any ideas. drivers and router all updated

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

scully74 wrote: »
    my internet keeps dropping, i have dell inspirion 1520 and a netgear wireless router, i click onto a wed site and it will take 3-5 secs and connect or not, refresh and with will connect, the internet connected icon will sometimes shows local access only...any ideas. drivers and router all updated

Please please when posting questions like this supply the following basic information: (and this has been asked several times before by the way)

Have you dsl filters on all your lines? (That's if you are using dsl bb of course) Have you confirmed that the internet connection is solid? You do this by connecting with an ethernet cable to the router and laptop and try surfing for a while at least long enough to check if the connection is stable. If it is not then check your line stats and post here.

Have you checked to see if there are any other wirless devices in the house? TV senders, cordless phones, wireless pest deterrents. Have you checked to see if there are any neighbours' networks on the same wireless channel as your own? Have you tried turning off your security to see if it improves the connection? don't forget to turn it back on again of course.

Does your laptop work ok in other wireless situations?

Advertisement