Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wired laptop can not see routers

Options
  • 13-03-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I have two windows xp laptops connected by cat 5e ethernet cables to a modem/router with an internet connection. The router is running DHCP. Laptop "a" can ping the router at 192.168.1.1 but the other (laptop "b") can't. But, get this, laptops "a" and "b" can ping each other. Laptop "a" gets his tcpip address from the routers DHCP and has full internet access. Laptop "b" times out and defaults to the tcpip address I put in the setup. Laptop "b" has no internet.

Laptop "b" used to work just fine with our wireless router but it was a bit slow so I'm trying to revert back to a wired configuration. The wireless router is hooked in at 192.168.1.99 and guess what, laptop "a" can ping him but "b" cannot as long as "b" is cable connected.

I'll repeat the vital clue here that laptops "a" and "b" can ping each other.
    This suggests to me that laptop "b" has some wierd problem but I'll stand correction... I've heard about these viruses that stop you connecting to support and anitvirus sites but stopping yer wired connection seems a bit desperate..

tia mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Check the DHCP settings of the router and laptop B, make sure there's a dhcp range to allow room for at least 2 devices etc. If giving laptop B a static ip make sure to enter the router as a DNS server too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

start -> run ->cmd

type ipconfig /all

post the results here.

Also do a tracert from computer A to computer B (and vice versa).

Does sound like a DHCP issue though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Thanks for the input folks. The wired routers DHCP has a range 192.168.2-50 and the wireless routers DHCP is turned off so that aint' the prob. The bad laptop "b" has no trouble with the routers when it connects via the wireless setup anyway. I've never used tracert before so thanks for that. I had to change the bad computer name to get it to work but the problem remains: If the router doesn't give a 'puter a url (ie 192.168.1.x) then It won't give said 'puter internet.

I took the relevant trusted network entry out of the Kerio firewall config. and the system only prompted me to confirm that I was connecting to a trusted network when the alternative manual tcpip url was activating. Based on that test I think I have a windows problem. i.e. When the little yellow ball is spinning around the two little computers in the task bar icon and the system says it it acquiring a network address from the remote DHCP via the wired adapter it ain't doing anything. Is there something on the services page I need to check?

Corrrection: I had a look at the firewalls connections overview while I ran ipconfig /release * and ipconfig /renew and the laptop sent out a UDP dhcp discovery packet to 255.255.255.255:67 which was not replied to. So what is the routers problem I wonder.

mike

Oh yes windows file sharing still works so I can capture and transfer the output of ipconfig /all of the bad system to ya'll

:)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : badboy
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FO-FF-FO-FF-FO-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 192.168.1.17
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Help! please

I uninstalled the network adapter as suggested by a helpful person on the smart support site. On boot up the usual 'found new hardware' bubble went up and then the firewall asked me if network 192.168.1.x mask 255.255.255.1 on local area connection 3 was a trusted network. I said yes and away we went.

This obviously is the second time I have reinstalled this adapter which is why we are up to LAN connection number three. It then occurred to me that things went wrong because I had changed the name of the adapter. You can do this by right clicking the icon in the Network connection window.

Being brave I did it again and rebooted. It didn't break and the firewall was not "fooled" and faithfully prompted me for the status of the network behind my newly renamed adapter.. So yeah if it was a naming or firewall problem the process of breaking the thing is more complicated than a simple rename.

mike

• Advertisement
Advertisement