Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really really really small steps.

Options
  • 13-03-2009 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been reading all the logs on here, all I can say is wow :eek:, very inspiring.

I'm starting a new job Wednesday and I'm really nerivous :(. So I'm starting this log as a distraction :).

I've been walking 3 miles most mornings for the last two weeks........I have to say I'm proud of myself and hope to keep it up. So I'll be posting here to keep myself honest.

P.s. Thanks a million for all the great logs :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs, and best of luck :)

Are you planning to keep walking, or planning to add some running to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr Amazing

Welcome to the logs, and best of luck :)

Thanks rainbow kirby,

I hope to go running, my "plan" is something like this.

March = walking - hoping to shed some of my insulation :cool:
    April = cycling - I find this much easier than running
    May = running - really jogging.
    June = ? maybe more jogging....

i've been working on my diet since the start of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good step to start a log. Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Best of luck Mr Amazing. Great name by the way :D

Have you any targets ? The best thing you could do is target some event. Be it a 5km run, a mountain walk or cycle etc etc. That way it will keep you motivated and get you out in the poxy Irish weather.

Do you have a back ground in any other sport or are you starting from scratch ?

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Good luck with the log & new job :)
    Just started a log myself too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Good luck with the new job too Mr Amazing! and best of luck with the log.

Thanks folks :-)

I was up late thursday reading boards, so it was a real effort to make it out for my 3 miler in the morning.
    Did my three miles in the morning, and then 3 more miles to go to the shops and pub for my leaving drinks :D.

I'm using this gizmo to measure it http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and it has a calorie calculator and all.

Speaking of Calories, I calculated my BMI http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm and it's 27.8. I was a bit suprised at the weight 78kg as I've definitely lost a few kg's since the new year.

What do you think, are BMI's useful for runners and what sort of BMI should I aim for.

Best of luck Mr Amazing. Great name by the way :D

Have you any targets ? The best thing you could do is target some event. Be it a 5km run, a mountain walk or cycle etc etc. That way it will keep you motivated and get you out in the poxy Irish weather.

Do you have a back ground in any other sport or are you starting from scratch ?

Best of luck.

Hi TheRoadRunner, thanks for reply :), Your right I should have a target :). So, I'm thinking 10km at a reasonable pace by the end of the year. It'll take loads of work, but if I keep at it I reckon I can do it.

Haven't done any sport for the last 5 years :o and have a really sedentary job. So it's a real learning curve, but this board has taught me loads already.......

14/03 I was out for beers Friday, so saturday was a total wash out.

15/03 did my three miles today.

I've fallen of the diet bandwagon and have been eating, rubish all weekend. Buns, jellys, chocolates, apple tart, benoffi :eek: etc :o.

On a brighter note, I got my hands on an old heart rate monitor from a friend :).

well the training has been going great. So well it's kind of boring :D.
    The new jobs, is really great, nice people, relaxed office. couldn't have wished for more.

I'm itching to get on the bike... I'll be fit to burst come April :).

• Advertisement

Hi,

Well what a week, Training Sunday and Tuesday, some really early morning with the new job, so had to give monday a miss :o.

The new jobs a little stressfull, and it dosesn't help that my house mate is acting like an 8 year old!

Any way, will keep tipping away at it :pac:.

Wow it been over a week since my last post.

Ok, training has been up and down, haven't gotten on the bike yet :o.

Diet has gone way south...new job is mental....no excuse :mad:. So I've put on a good be of weight in a week :eek:.

Have been having some pains in my back and legs....so went to the physio and basicly I have some really tight muscles...She recomend pilates as a good option....

Can't find any men only classes in dublin...wouldn't be brave enought for a mixed class :o.

Hopefully I will get on the bike this weekend, and get my routine back. :).

(This is the hard bit if I get past this the rest will be easy :D)

I have to, HAVE TO start eating better...It's been disgracefull the last 2 weeks :(.

Put back on some serious weight about 3-5kg.

On a brighter note I've started running. Doing my usual 5km but running it now. :):D.

Using my heart rate monitor to keep pace.
    Below 160 speed up
    Above 170 slow down.
    It's very stop start and I'm sure people must think I'm mad :D.

But I'm not too tired after each run so I'm going to stick with it.

I'm still doing my stretches and stuff my physio gave me.

Wow it's been 2 months :eek: :eek::eek:.

I haven't done anything like as much running as I'd hoped. But I've joined a running club. It's class and really help to keep things interesting.
    I'm going to run short distance as I'm never going to be a skiny whip.

I do pilates, yes me a guy......I think there's only 3 of us in the country so if there's a guy in your pilates class it probably me :o.

Advertisement