Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderf00t

Options
  • 13-03-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

Mods: Apologies if this has been done already, delete away if that's the case :)

So what do people here think of this tower of intellect. He seems to be the driving force behind the anti-creationist movement on Youtube (if you haven't yet, check out the "Why do people laugh at creationists" series) but nobody really knows that much about him personally.

The reason I ask is because recently I was talking to a group of Atheists, Agnostics and other Skeptics who really seem to dislike him and that surprised the hell out of me! Just wondering what posters think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

I love thunderfoots videos i subscribed to his channel about a year ago and i must say i love his videos also on a side note that i think people find wierd is i really like his narration i could listen to his voice all day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Mods: Apologies if this has been done already, delete away if that's the case :)

So what do people here think of this tower of intellect. He seems to be the driving force behind the anti-creationist movement on Youtube (if you haven't yet, check out the "Why do people laugh at creationists" series) but nobody really knows that much about him personally.

The reason I ask is because recently I was talking to a group of Atheists, Agnostics and other Skeptics who really seem to dislike him and that surprised the hell out of me! Just wondering what posters think

In fairness now, its a bit like taking candy from a baby if you look at who his opposition is. Still I like the way he simply crushes them with fact, rather than opinionated bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

He's good. I'm more of a fan of Potholer54, I like his voice and humour more. But then Thunderf00t managed to successfully fight off the false DMCA claims being levelled by the creationists as well as actually forcing that moronic asshat VenomFang into a cringeworth apology for filing a false claim so that Thunder would get silenced. And he fought the votebots... Quite a powerhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

His whole PEARL idea recently though is really a bit odd. I thought TogetherForPeace summed up the problems with it pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

he's good but I can't watch his videos due to who he's arguing against... that venomfangx guy who is, for lack of better term, a completely delusional and irritatingly smug moron.

He's clearly never going to back down and seems to just make things up in his head to defend his position. Why anybody is entertaining this guy, who clearly has no education in or knowledge of any of the scientific fields he is arguing against, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

He's very good at what he does: dissecting and critically analysing the nonsense put forward by the creationist/ID movement in the U.S.

His videos are entertaining, mainly because the content of the videos he is opposing is so blatantly ludicrous. It's almost satirical, if it didn't seem frightenly necessary, to take a highly scientific approach to analysing and criticising such nonsense (the Hovind "Ice Shield" & "Pre-flood" "theories" anyone?!).

My favourite is the creationist who thinks that a good "proof" of God and creationism is the fact that planets are round. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

He's good. I'm more of a fan of Potholer54, I like his voice and humour more. But then Thunderf00t managed to successfully fight off the false DMCA claims being levelled by the creationists as well as actually forcing that moronic asshat VenomFang into a cringeworth apology for filing a false claim so that Thunder would get silenced. And he fought the votebots... Quite a powerhouse.

That apology was something to behold........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

neilled wrote: »
    That apology was something to behold........

Do you have a link?
    Naz_st wrote: »

My favourite is the creationist who thinks that a good "proof" of God and creationism is the fact that planets are round. Brilliant.

Wasn't that one later revealed as satire? What I love about these guys is the fact that you can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Do you have a link?

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_MYyc-PtH4
    Wasn't that one later revealed as satire? What I love about these guys is the fact that you can't tell.

Unfortunately, I don't think so. It was "rebutted" (seems an overly generous use of the word) in one of Potholers "Creationist Junk Debunked" Vids. But as you say, it's hard to know whether some of these videos are or aren't satire sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Votebots? Well thats a new one.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

AronRa is my favourite-his 'Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism' are brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

only in America! I love 1:26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

AronRa is my favourite-his 'Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism' are brilliant.

Watching this now - it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

lol. He got pwnt, as they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Húrin wrote: »
    I love 1:26

Corinthians? Ephesians? ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

he's good but I can't watch his videos due to who he's arguing against... that venomfangx guy who is, for lack of better term, a completely delusional and irritatingly smug moron.

He's clearly never going to back down and seems to just make things up in his head to defend his position. Why anybody is entertaining this guy, who clearly has no education in or knowledge of any of the scientific fields he is arguing against, I don't know.

VenomFangX is the biggest creationist channel on YouTube.

VenomFangX is the biggest creationist channel on YouTube.

Yep. And his ignorance of basic science coupled with that popularity just about says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I have a ton of respect for thunderf00t. I like his stye and humour as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

In fairness now, its a bit like taking candy from a baby if you look at who his opposition is. Still I like the way he simply crushes them with fact, rather than opinionated bluster.

I haven't seen these vids (have better things to do!) but generally the atheist side is more articulate than then religious side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement