Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloughie

• 13-03-2009 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

when is this program on ITV anyone know?

Brian Clough was a proper manager, none of that bitching nonsense nowadays and sponsorship deals, and celebrity shoite and 200,000 a week players.

"Iwouldn't necessarily say that I'm the best manager in England but I would say that I'm in the top one! "

also this one..

When a referee went to the ground for a pre match inspection as there had been a lot of rain, the ref kicked the ball from the goal line to see how far it would roll. It rolled no more than two metres: Clough said, 'Perfect'! The match was played.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

The time he caught the fan who invaded the pitch and give him a clip round the ear priceles.
    Imagine that happened today he'd be sued or stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The time he caught the fan who invaded the pitch and give him a clip round the ear priceles.

+1

I think he met the fan a couple of weeks later to apologise,but that was the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Would have loved to have been able to see him and Fergie go at it in the modern era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He called the polish keeper Tomoshvski ( spelling) 'A clown ' .This was after he pulled off about 23 saves to deny England a place in the 74 world cup finals .Some clown :)

I was a young leeds utd supporter when clougie took over .If ever a man was not ment to take over a football club it was that man and that football club :P

I think the programme is on tv next week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Cloughie wrote:
    I wouldent say I was the best manager in the business but I was in the top 1
    they broke the mold when they made Brian Clough

Really looking forward to that movie too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ddzieGoLMg vs Don Revie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuxxFy8kIrw&feature=related on the England job
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ypnIaQB9M&feature=related on Peter Taylor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7W3jjdybY&feature=related on Posh n Becks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As an Englishman I was always sorry he was never the England Mgr. However in those days ( now ?? ) there were too many stuffed shirts in the FA and they wanted a ' yes ' man.

He indeed was priceless , it was terrible to watch his demise with the ' demon drink '.

If you watch young Mr Keane ( as in the Corkman ) , he obviously learnt a lot from his short time under Clough at Forest, he often acts like him. If he was to go and actually learn his trade rather than be handed a Premiership team then he has the potential I think ( off topic )

Anyway , has anyone actually answered the question I would love to see this movie/play ......

doooohhh I see the reply now from Xavi 6 ...... thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I suppose mentioning his love of bungs will ruin this thread..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ah Cloughie, what a legend!

My favourite quote from him:

" This is a terrible day.....for Leeds United" - When he was sacked from Leeds!

Looking forward to seeing The Damned United.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Ah Cloughie, what a legend!

My favourite quote from him:

" This is a terrible day.....for Leeds United" - When he was sacked from Leeds!

Looking forward to seeing The Damned United.

Why he ever took over Leeds I will never know. He constantly bad mouthed Leeds to the press while he was at Derby saying the team was nothing but cheats and dirty and so on. It's no surprise that the players hated him. One of the strangest managerial choices you are ever going to see.

I'm also looking forward to the film but I don't think Leeds will be portrayed in a very good light!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Why he ever took over Leeds I will never know. He constantly bad mouthed Leeds to the press while he was at Derby saying the team was nothing but cheats and dirty and so on. It's no surprise that the players hated him. One of the strangest managerial choices you are ever going to see.

I'm also looking forward to the film but I don't think Leeds will be portrayed in a very good light!

Never really are to be honest. Talkin bout the film to my mate the other, all I could say was 'he brings the small clubs up, and the big clubs down'. Gonna be a good film, entertaining at least. He was a good manager though, I'll give him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On The Damned United had a look at the cast list. WIll be interesting/strange to see some of the younger versions of real people

Out here in two weeks time - the 27th of March

Peter McDonald ... Johnny Giles
    Paul O'Brien ... Phil Thompson
    Oliver Stokes ... Nigel Clough - would imagine as a baby/kid
    Ben McFarlane ... Kevin Keegan
    Wayne Ewart ... Tommy Smith

Michael Sheen ... Brian Clough
    Jim Broadbent ... Sam Longson
    Timothy Spall ... Peter Taylor
    Stephen Graham ... Billy Bremner
    Joseph Dempsie ... Duncan McKenzie
    Colm Meaney ... Don Revie
    Martin Compston ... John O'Hare
    Maurice Roëves ... Jimmy Gordon
    Elizabeth Carling
    Brian McCardie ... Dave Mackay
    Giles Alderson ... Colin Todd
    John Savage ... Gordon McQueen
    Stuart Gray ... Eddie Gray
    Nathan Head ... Photographer
    Damian Broadbent ... Emlyn Hughes
    Mark Cameron ... Norman Hunter
    Tomasz Kocinski ... Roy McFarland
    Keiran Waite ... Ron Webster
    Colin Harris ... John McGovern
    Chris Moore ... Paul Madeley
    Matthew Storton ... Peter Lorimer
    Bill Bradshaw ... Terry Yorath
    Liam Thomas ... Les Cocker
    Jimmy Reddington ... Keith Archer
    Ryan Day ... Simon Clough
    Isabella Eades-Jones ... Elizabeth Clough
    Stewart Robertson ... Archie Gemmill
    Craig Williams ... Joe Jordan
    Alex Harker ... Allan Clarke
    David Stevenson
    Carl Hicken ... Alec Lindsay - Liverpool
    Stephen Nicholas ... Alan Durban
    Danny Tomlinson ... David Harvey
    Laurie Rea ... Terry Hennessey
    Gillian Waugh ... Lillian Taylor
    James MacColl ... Luton Town Player
    Mark Jameson ... Head Groundsman
    Lesley Maylett ... Paul Reaney
    Christopher Boulstridge ... Colin Bolton
    Tom Ramsbottom ... Trevor Cherry
    Alex Rogerson ... Phil Boersma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I remember hearing a story about Clough when Stuart Pearce was involved in a clash of heads. He may have been knocked out cold. The physio told Clough that Pearce was out of it. "He hardly knows his own name", he said.
    To which Clough replied "well tell him he's Pele and we'll stick him up front!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

The book "The Damned United" was brilliant , really poetic and tragic in many ways , The film seems to be going for a lot lighter tone , but still looks very entertaining !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

monkey9 wrote: »
    I remember hearing a story about Clough when Stuart Pearce was involved in a clash of heads. He may have been knocked out cold. The physio told Clough that Pearce was out of it. "He hardly knows his own name", he said.
    To which Clough replied "well tell him he's Pele and we'll stick him up front!"

Heard different versions of that over the years - could well have been Cough as he had a rep as a bit of wit. The bit that makes it hard to believe is Pearce being confused after a clash of heads - the clash of heads not so much, but it effecting him so much as to leave him confused as to who he was.

According to Wikipedia after Pearce was signed by Notts Forrest
    So unsure was Pearce of his footballing future that, after the transfer, he actually advertised his services as an electrician in Forest's match-day programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

He was also probably the last man to thump Roy Keane and get away with it - Apparently hit him in the dressing room after a match when Roy was a young player.

Advertisement