Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you walk your dog?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys looking for new spots to walk my dog...

So far iv done

Crosshaven to carrigaline old railway
    The Lough
    The Marina & Atlantic Pond

Where else in Cork is relatively scenic that i can take my dog for a walk...

Preferably somewhere with a bit of distance, I personally cant stand the lough as i have to bring the dog on a good 3-5 mile walk!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Lee Fields

Ballincollig Park is nice but can be a bit packed

Passage west railway like (or is that what you have previously mentioned ? :o )

Bit further out for during the day..

Currabinny woods we found was a nice walk through.

Doneraile is lovely too (No offlead due to deer etc unless good recall!)

Newmarket has a lovely forest as well and very little people.

There's a forest in Watergrass Hill thats a nice walk (Marloan woods or something)

Marlogue Wood just outside Cobh was recomended to me but havent got there yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

+1 Currabinny woods. If your lucky you might see some people dogging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Don't like Currabinny myself. Farren Woods is a good spot, or even down to garry voe and run him on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Bill-e wrote: »
    If your lucky you might see some people dogging!

SWEET!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Bill-e wrote: »
    +1 Currabinny woods. If your lucky you might see some people dogging!
    :eek: Jeez, thanks for the warning!!
    gimmick wrote: »
    Don't like Currabinny myself. Farren Woods is a good spot, or even down to garry voe and run him on the beach.
    Farran is lovley but I havent taken the dogs there so didnt know if it was "dog-friendly" or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

from the atlantic pond the old railway line leads to passage, though there is a gap of 100 metre by the rochestown inn where you have to go onto a foot path. You can turn off it before it goes over the link and it goes along the water rounding balinure, mahon and blackrock as far as the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

Beth wrote: »
    Ballincollig Park is nice but can be a bit packed

its a bit inconvenient when you have to order a taxi when the little fecker jumps in the lee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Treadmill :p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Dags don't care about scenery :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Balmed Out wrote: »
    from the atlantic pond the old railway line leads to passage, though there is a gap of 100 metre by the rochestown inn where you have to go onto a foot path. You can turn off it before it goes over the link and it goes along the water rounding balinure, mahon and blackrock as far as the castle.

Did that walk today, brilliant walk, Went from Blackrock castle past Mahon Pt, crossed over the bridge on the South Link and walked into blackrock, then to the marina and back to the castle, Nice walk but LOTS of smashed glass by Blackrock!!! Ya think someone would clean it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

yeah its a pity. before it was rare to see any large amount of rubbish but for a while now theres always a patch where some young scumbags have emptied a few bins or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

A nice spot to go is up by Garyduff sports grounds. I found it by accident one day... just walk along the road and you'll see a small road and it leads into grassy areas and some forest. Used by mountain bikers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

there's some nice woods up past fermoy too.. the kilworth woods are quite nice... not sure if you want to go that far to walk the dog though.. sure if you did you may as well head past mitchelstown to glengarra woods... sure yer in county tipp by then.. and that'd be a bit mad

actually.. rather than head north, its worthwhile to head east.. you could walk from shanagarry to ballycotton almost entirely by beach... its easily a couple of miles.. and sure you can't get more scenic than the sea...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

I heard people actually throw their dog out of the car and drive off, making the dog run after the car! That sounds like an idea ...........

actually.. rather than head north, its worthwhile to head east.. you could walk from shanagarry to ballycotton almost entirely by beach... its easily a couple of miles.. and sure you can't get more scenic than the sea...

Now i'll take that as an idea... Thank you :)

cool... pop into the blackbird while yer down there.. probably my favorite pub in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ham Sandwich

Farran Woods is lovely, great long routes to trek around.

Ballingcollig Amenity Park is fab too, theres more than one path, plenty of routes to stop the boredom rolling in, and right on the river too so can let them swim.

Atlantic Pond and Railway Line is a good choice. Can go up the marina, towards Blackrock Castle, link on by the waterfront, follow around, cross the causeway on to the railway line, turn left towards Rochestown and head to Passage or left back to Blackrock village on the railway line, the basic circle is 5 miles...happy walking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Went to Gugane Barra today with our Cocker Spaniel. Granted, the great weather was brilliant but not having been there for years, forgot how beautiful it was. Plenty of different levels of trails and of course the wee baby lee river perfect to cool down the dog

Bit of a trip out but for the odd day off, well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ham Sandwich

Definately well worth it with the weathre today, some fine sun!! Headed to the beach with the two doggies, very packed though, too many people with the same idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Waterloo near Blarney is a nice walk its only a mile long from blarney to the end of the trail though so 2 mile round trip.

Lee fields is one of the best spots for doggy people exept in the summer months when the posers and power walkers come out with the glares and mutters

Farran is great but not a lot of doggy people there and has a lead policy, we leave them off in amongst the trees.

Glenbower woods behind the thatch at Killeagh is good.

Garryvoe beach, Garrestown beach, fountainstown.

Currabinny woods

The boreen outside my house so perfect haha!!

Ballincollig is decent but not brilliant due to busyness and split of anti dog / over protective parents.

I wouldn't go near blarney walk its rubbish, dula carriageway 20 feet away, rushes for scenery and very busy with non dog people.

Like the marina but too confined with the road and atlantic ponds a bit grubby.

must try the blackrock one myself have never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Lee Fields is good for a walk and I've often seen dogs going for a wash in the River Lee or playing fetch games with their owners in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

I often bring my young lad andd his friends to The Lee Fields and to be fair, most owners have their dogs on a leash - except those that are going for a swim! It's a lovely place for a walk and there's parking aswell.
    If that fails, there's The Lough. Further out of town, you have several beaches. We were in Garretstown during the recent mid-term break and we met at least 10 dogs and their owners as we walked up and down the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fc

hi there can you tell me how to find the c to c railway walk please ?
    also the marine and atlantic pond ?
    thanks

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey guys looking for new spots to walk my dog...

So far iv done

Crosshaven to carrigaline old railway
    The Lough
    The Marina & Atlantic Pond

Where else in Cork is relatively scenic that i can take my dog for a walk...

Preferably somewhere with a bit of distance, I personally cant stand the lough as i have to bring the dog on a good 3-5 mile walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Some people walk their dogs in the fields in Kilbarry Business Park off Dublin Hill near Blackpool.Its not too scenic but you could give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I send my bitch down along Friars Walk to pick me up the daily rag ;)

fc wrote: »
    hi there can you tell me how to find the c to c railway walk please ?
    also the marine and atlantic pond ?
    thanks

The Carrigaline to Crosshaven walk is the route from Carrigaline to Crosshaven. There are some car parks along the way.

The Marine and the Atlantic pond are just outside the city towards Blackpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

trilo wrote: »
    The Carrigaline to Crosshaven walk is the route from Carrigaline to Crosshaven. There are some car parks along the way.

The Marine and the Atlantic pond are just outside the city towards Blackrock

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

SomeFool wrote: »
    FYP

Thanks for the tips.

This old Cork guy was telling me I should walk my dogs in "the Glen" pointing somewhere east.

After asking around I think he is talking about this little park near Glen Avenue near Blackpool? At the north ring road?
    see link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cork,+cork,+ireland&sll=51.013755,-26.982422&sspn=30.351045,49.570312&ie=UTF8&ll=51.913157,-8.456147&spn=0.007227,0.012102&t=h&z=16

I haven't figured out how to get there but maybe it's worth a try.

Doesn anybody think this is a good place to walk a dog?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The regional park in ballincollig is where I walk my dog.

Advertisement