Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Esker Summer Project

• 13-03-2009 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone here ever partake in the Esker Summer project? I used to absolutely love the summer months because of that.

I was never a big fan of the Arts and Crafts classes that were held in the halls of St Thomas' school but my Mam made me go to them anyway :) I enjoyed it while I was there but the thoughts of it never appealed to me. My favourite trips were always to the Bowling alley. At that time, the only Bowling Alley in Dublin was in Stillorgan and I loved going there.

Did you do the Summer Project? What did you like best? Is it still running or has the looming spectre of legal action for injuries/child abuse stifled it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I went to Lucan Youth Fun as I was in St Mary's parish but it was the same set-up. Do you remember thinking you'd never reach the magic age where you could join and put on your "Youth fun '87" T-shirt

For those two weeks of the summer all you'd see were hoards of kids in white t-shirts all over the place. Was a great amieniety for the time. Used to love the outdoor stuff and hated the flower arranging and the swimming.

I remember the big finale night with the prize draw and all the top prizes were in the form of riddles where if your ticket was pulled you had to pick whichever one you thought was the prize you wanted. We used to have so much fun trying to work out what was what. One of the prizes was a trip to Shannon in the AerLingus Jumbo. (I always wanted that one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I remember Youth Fun alright. :) Esker summer project didn't have T-shirts but they probably would have been a good idea as it would make it easier for the minders to be sure they had all the kids, make them visible :)

Is Youth Fun or the Esker summer project still going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Did anyone here ever partake in the Esker Summer project? I used to absolutely love the summer months because of that.

Did you do the Summer Project? What did you like best? Is it still running or has the looming spectre of legal action for injuries/child abuse stifled it?

I too used to love the month of July for the same reason :) Even the queueing at the school windows on a saturday morning used to be fun!

The last I heard was that it stopped a few years back as they couldnt get enough volunteers to run it, but not sure if this was just a rumour or now. It would be a shame to see such a good thing go

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

Awh I used to LOVE the Summer Project!! I remember running into the hall for the arts & crafts classes and legging it around looking at what was on each table to see what was the best thing to make!

The trips I remember most are:

Kellys Bakery!
    The Coca Cola Factory
    Mosney
    Bowling

Even thought the seats on the coaches would cut the legs off you if u had shorts on it was still brilliant! Would be such a shamne if it's not still running.

I remember they had t-shirts for a couple of years cos there's photos of me in one. I's say around 82-83! :D

SnoozyS wrote: »
    I too used to love the month of July for the same reason :) Even the queueing at the school windows on a saturday morning used to be fun!
    Yeah, somehow, it just didn't seem like school anymore when you were booking your trips :)
    Elphaba wrote: »
    Awh I used to LOVE the Summer Project!! I remember running into the hall for the arts & crafts classes and legging it around looking at what was on each table to see what was the best thing to make!
    Hah, I used to do that too :) I remember once ending up at a table where they were cutting paper shapes and I wasn't impressed :)

I was impressed however by the HB factory visit although I never got to go to Clara Lara...by all accounts I didn't really miss much in those days :)
    I remember they had t-shirts for a couple of years cos there's photos of me in one. I's say around 82-83! :D
    Wow, I don't remember them although it would have been at that time that I was very active in the Summer Project!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 aromamum

Yes, I looovveed the summer project! My mam was heavily involved in it for years and as a child I used to love getting behind the scenes...I used to get to go in the windows on a Saturday morning to help sell the ticket....(be you're jealous!:D).

It was such good, innocent fun and I have fantastic memories of it...remember when the list of available activities would come out and you would rush around the school from window to window trying to get one of the coveted places on the trips...I also loved the coca cola factory trip and the swimming in stewarts!

It stopped a few years back because no one would volunteer to do it...shame really, it was such good fun and a great way to spend a healthy kids summer!

I would say with the recession you will see a resurgence of things like this...if (as a previous poster said) insurance issues can be overcome.....

ohhhhhh the memories!

Aromamum

I have a vague memory of there being Esker Summer Project badges.....not sure if I have imagined that or not!

Also remember - the bingo (legs 11 woo woo) and the discos......and the roller skating! I remember holding hands with my first "boyfriend" while skating around the roller rink......that place is gone now as is the ice skating rink.

aromamum wrote: »
    Yes, I looovveed the summer project! My mam was heavily involved in it for years and as a child I used to love getting behind the scenes...I used to get to go in the windows on a Saturday morning to help sell the ticket....(be you're jealous!:D).
    Interesting, I bet my Mam knows your Mam as mine was heavily involved in the Project too as a volunteer as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Interesting, I bet my Mam knows your Mam as mine was heavily involved in the Project too as a volunteer as well :)

Ha ha Mine too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement