Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sligo 1-2 Rovers
    Rovers 1-0 Boez
    Derry 0-1 Rovers

In succession...that's rare enough. Wins in Derry are rare enough as it is. 6 wins in a row, 21/22? games unbeaten. It has been a successful season methinks.

As for tonight, that's as damn close to the feeling after winning in Limerick in 2006 as I'll get. Sives was immense.

Also very glad the Hoops SC coach windows were double glazed or it was a cold journey home. At least if we had got lost, we could retrace our steps from the glass left behind on the road all the way home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fantastic result. Real mettle shown, and one of the really tricky fixtures out of the way.

Sives will be the centre-half in the division next year.

What are you talking about dfx-? Only Rovers have an 'element'. You must be mistaken. Perhaps the windows expanded in the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Great result again, on paper that was our most difficult remaining fixture. If we can beat Dundalk away then the rest is history :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

5 wins in a row needed.

Big ask.

Just draw one game and Bohs can nick it on goal difference.

And Bohs to win all five though..
    stovelid wrote: »
    What are you talking about dfx-? Only Rovers have an 'element'. You must be mistaken. Perhaps the windows expanded in the cold.

Ah yes that must've been it. I was also worried about the remaining panes with Big Dec's singing... :pac:

Pal wrote: »

Just draw one game and Bohs can nick it on goal difference.

And that a divine consortium of the FAI(liure), Johnny Logan and fudge ensure that you're actually allowed to keep the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

We certainly hope so.

I'd rather anybody to win it but Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Roaster wrote: »

So they mention 4 skangers who made some noises in a crowd of 6000 yet fail to mention a player racially abusing another player. Nice to see where the priorities are with them.

iregk wrote: »
    So they mention 4 skangers who made some noises in a crowd of 6000 yet fail to mention a player racially abusing another player. Nice to see where the priorities are with them.

I find it hard to believe that 4 skangers could be hard over 6,000 on the TG4
    broadcast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Stupid comment, there shouldn't be priorities when it comes to racism in football, racism is racism no matter at what level.

broadcast...

Why? I was in the east stand, I didn't hear any of it myself so it certainly wasn't a large crowd. By all accounts from what I believe on the srfc fans forum it was only 4 or 5 skangers up the back of the east stand at the ultras section. This is also where the camera's are and also where the tv takes is sound feed from. So what ever happens in that section is what gets onto the tv.

Stupid comment, there shouldn't be priorities when it comes to racism in football, racism is racism no matter at what level.

Absolutely I agree racism is racism and I'm dead against it. I just love the way all of a sudden now that Bohs are looking like the league is under threat the Rovers racism shame is the biggest news. I mean god forbid Bohs have a bit of racism on their watch, but sure that wouldn't happen.

I also don't think its a stupid comment. There are racist people in this world sadly. What ever about a handful of scumbags doing it who were actually dealt with by the surrounding fans I personally think its a much larger issue if a player who is supposed to be a role model actually does it.

Why? I was in the east stand, I didn't hear any of it myself so it certainly wasn't a large crowd. By all accounts from what I believe on the srfc fans forum it was only 4 or 5 skangers up the back of the east stand at the ultras section. This is also where the camera's are and also where the tv takes is sound feed from. So what ever happens in that section is what gets onto the tv.

Will you just stop...

digging-a-hole.jpg

Will you just stop...

digging-a-hole.jpg

I'm not digging anything. I'll stand by everything I've typed.

As I said, I love the way when its Bohs a ban for the offending player is plenty however when its Rovers and the title is in danger of slipping away from Bohs then a point deduction seems fair.

To be honest, I'm sick to my fucking tits of the whole thing.

Racists have no place in football, and we all have a duty to hunt them out.

To their credit, Bohs punished JMG, even if they would have been forced to anyway. If anybody is found at Rovers doing same, I have no doubt they will be banned.

What I'm getting sick of is the root of all this intensive soul-searching and calls-to-justice has fuck all to do with nDo, Bucco, race-relations or whatever. It's do with people scoring points off rivals. It's something as petty as we got told off, why don't they?

The same spa-talk that points out that one club has a mob, but we don't, honest.

This league can go and fuck off sometimes. I think sometimes people would rather paint the league to barstoolers as a hotbed of racism and violence just so they can get one-up on their rivals after a defeat. You even have what looks like a Bohs supporter starting a faux-impartial, hand-wringing thread over in Humanities about it.

I'm finished commenting on the whole thing after this. Show me a monkey-chanter and I'll report him to the nearest steward, or worse. Show me a player that makes racist comments on any team and I'll support a long ban.

I mean, how much mileage can we conceivably get from this topic?

Stovelid, there is still a valid criticism of why SARI are getting selectively involved. There is no press release for JMG in their archives.

Easy to tell that Rovers won 1-0 though..

dfx- wrote: »
    Stovelid, there is still a valid criticism of why SARI are getting selectively involved.

Perhaps they're responding to all the impartial complaints that they have no doubt received. Wonder why decking points is being mooted as the solution?

Racism is racism though. I find it astonishing that I can't find a single word of recognition or call for action or condemnation of an incident that public.

Maybe threatening to dock points is the new way to put an asterisk in the final table :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Stovelid, there is still a valid criticism of why SARI are getting selectively involved. There is no press release for JMG in their archives.

Easy to tell that Rovers won 1-0 though..

Not sure why SARI dont have anything in their archives but I can guarantee you that they were all over the papers with the McGuinness thing - and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

bohsman wrote: »
    Not sure why SARI dont have anything in their archives but I can guarantee you that they were all over the papers with the McGuinness thing - and rightly so.

As much as I hate to agree with a Bohs fan but he's right, and I'm 90% sure there was something on their website after Jasons incident, could be just lost in translation.

broadcast...

Maybe they were near a mike. Have you never heard a snatch of a shout at a televised match, or even the sound of the ball hitting the hoarding? At games far bigger than that one?

I myself, honestly didn't hear a thing despite being right in the heart of the stand.

I'm sorry but it's hard for me to engage with this. Not at any possible racism which I'm totally aghast at the thought of - but the sheer intensity of the haymaking being made here and elsewhere by a minority of the Bohs support.

The vigour with which you are pursuing this and hoping at worst to stir shit; at best to get a fine or points deduction could so easily blow up in your face if you are ever implicated in a similar incident (some way down the line if you still exist and actually have crowds) in the future. It won't matter though. League of Ireland and all that. Far better to blow up an isolated incident and make a further show of the whole league than to pass up the chance of shafting your rivals. Way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Maybe SARI should concentrate on getting a licence to sell scratch cards than worrying about football.

If it happened and was reported by the ref/player then rovers get fined. If neither happened and FAI want to use video evidence from youtube well.......:o

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Maybe SARI should concentrate on getting a licence to sell scratch cards than worrying about football.

Or update their links page to include more LOI clubs than just Bohs.

Or update their links page to include more LOI clubs than just Bohs.

Sport Against Racism Ireland

Sure you read the page right :p

• Advertisement

... but the sheer intensity of the haymaking being made here and elsewhere by a minority of the Bohs support... The vigour with which you are pursuing this and hoping at worst to stir shit;...

Opposition fans in **** stirring shocker...:eek::eek:

I have never suggested that Rovers should be deducted points.

Just home.

Drogs didn't really turn up. Their left-full actually looked afraid. Felt for the red-card lad. Was more of a desperate swipe than malicious, but rules are rules.

Rovers did enough with an outstanding display from Barrett, I thought. He's been doing well without catching the eye. Excellent at holding up the ball, and hassling defenders, but the goal seemed to give him confidence and he looked sweet.

Sives just gets better and Price did well again. Bermingham showed, even after months of a lay-off, that he's got a huge future. Makes such a difference (in terms of possession conceded) to have two full backs that don't hoof - Bermo does the sensible thing; Sullivan could easily be a wing-back or even a winger.

Still not sure if the league is our or Bohs, but this season has exceeded all expectations. MON's signings have been top class: Twigg and Sives especially. Bermo, Bradley and Barrett too. Johnson looks a good squad player. Even the known quantity/ easy bet signings look very promising - Mannus and Kavanagh.

I feel we'll have to win all our games in order to do so. We can do it though :) BELIEVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rovers did enough with an outstanding display from Barrett, I thought. He's been doing well without catching the eye. Excellent at holding up the ball, and hassling defenders, but the goal seemed to give him confidence and he looked sweet.

His workrate in every game has been outstanding since he joined.

• Advertisement

His workrate in every game has been outstanding since he joined.

Aye, that's what I meant. The only thing missing was goals, which hasn't been an issue anyway. I think he could be a big, big player again. Your first thoughts are that he's a big-timer because he made a noise at Arsenal before his injuries, but he never stops working. He holds the ball up and presses all night. Now he looks like he's going to find the net - hopefully.

The great thing about Barrett thats excellent is while his injuries took a hold of the body his brain is still there. He takes the ball in and always looks to bring the midfield into the attack. Usually always picks the good option with the ball. He will be a very good player for us, also he has bags of pace too :)

Friday game changed to 7.35pm kick off:

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/1090-final-home-game-of-the-season

Tickets are now sale at the club office.

Last home game of the season...

image.jpg

srfccharityfunday011109.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Last home game of the season...

image.jpg

There was no way that complaint could have been upheld. As far as I know, there were no reports on this incident from the actual game from all in attendance including the referees, linesmen, gardai, stewards, supporters or indeed from the Bohs officials and players. I was in the middle of the east stand and I didn't hear anything of the sort. It is possible that something was chanted but I'm sure the the assesors would have to prove that Rovers were somehow negligent in allowing this to happen. How could the club have been held responsible for being negligent if there were no reports of any incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hi lads, would ye have any interest in throwing a Boards Shamrock Rovers team into he Gearoid Walsh tourney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Unlucky with the league lads

ye gave it a good run

Could ye please point out to the more moron element of yer club (aka those who use yer forums)

Sligo tonight
    3rd choice keeper against Bohs because other 2 injured (2nd choice was injured in last league game but played on)
    Peers just back from serious injury and needed a rest, carrying a knock
    2-3 others playing with knocks for last few games

Ye would have done the same!

Have ye heard if there is any truth Doyler got clipped by a few Bohs heads coming off pitch, I saw some sad fat old man push him on the TV picture, anything happen after that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Yeah i heard the same from Dublin 7, nobody would shake Eoin's hand at the end of the match and the T.V cameras caught one Jay Byrne telling young doyle were to go, sad really isn't it grown men carrying on like that.

Very dissapointed in Cooks selection for the Bohs game, if he ends up getting Sligo relegated because of it he deserve's it. Pats will probably beat us next week and that puts the boys from the west in trouble. I reckon rovers should field there schoolboy team for the game in Inchicore and give the First team and the reserves an extended winter break, might teach Cookie a harsh lesson.

Back to Rovers, i suppose very disapointed on the night that was in it and Tallaght proved our undoing again against a very poor Galway side. Next year we are going to have to be far more ruthless and improve our home form and especially our 2nd half performances. Other than that its been a fantastic season in Tallaght, looking forward to europe next year and hopefully all the other clubs can sort there money troubles out and all the talk will be of football next season.

Just on a side note there is a chance Bohs will not be granted a UEFA licence because of there dodgy money troubles, that would put rovers in Champions League football next year.:cool:

You can't look to other managers to do us a favour although I'm surprised Cook seems to be prioritizing the cup over the league survival. A more valid overall gripe for me would have been the FAI paying Cork's wages.

Saddened by that Doyle story if true. Doyle would not have ever been a WUM by any means.

If the shoe was on the other foot, as with the pitch invasions, there would be much wringing of hands too, though expect to see the attempts to land us in it with the FAI dramatically decrease now that the league is wrapped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

You can't look to other managers to do us a favour although I'm surprised Cook seems to be prioritizing the cup over the league survival. A more valid overall gripe for me would have been the FAI paying Cork's wages.

Yeah agree 100% Stovelid, we lost the League through our own poor home form no gripes there, i would have expected Cookie to field a decent team and try ensure Premier football next year, every player would have been fighting for a cup final place and the result in D7 could have been very much a different story.

As i said it was our own undoing and Michael will have to look at maybe 4 or 5 new players for next year. Priority should be a centre back partner for Sives who is fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing a fresh Twiggy and Barrett patnership, Twiggy is a natural and Graham is just electric and will be one of the Leagues top players next year. Paddy Kavanagh looks very dangerous down the left. Not to sure johnston will click with Rice in the centre as Robbo is finished too little to late. Whats your ideas Stovelid for next year, who would you like to see come in and go out???

• Advertisement

I reckon rovers should field there schoolboy team for the game in Inchicore and give the First team and the reserves an extended winter break, might teach Cookie a harsh lesson.

+1

Yeah agree 100% Stovelid, we lost the League through our own poor home form no gripes there

That said, I really hope MON gives most of the first team a break against Pats in revenge.

Twigg was running on empty for the latter half of the season. A break will do him the world of good. If nobody comes in for him from cross-channel, of course. Bermo and Sives should look better for the run without injuries too.

Agree with summation of Barrett and PK. Personally, I'd hold on to Johnson as cover for Rice. I like him and he should have been played more this season.

First and foremost, we need a centre-half and a commanding midfielder to take pressure off Rice. Wouldn't mind seeing a forward of the quality of Cretaro come in too.

Personally, I can see MON letting go (or not signing after loan) Amond, Chisholm, Madden, Maguire, Johnson and maybe even Robinson.

Murphy may well go anyway though I doubt he will be transfer listed unless he wants to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Saddened by that Doyle story if true. Doyle would not have ever been a WUM by any means.

If the shoe was on the other foot, as with the pitch invasions, there would be much wringing of hands too, though expect to see the attempts to land us in it with the FAI dramatically decrease now that the league is wrapped up.

Mass pitch invasion for league win seems to be the done thing, guessing its ok by all cos the gaa do it, stewards basically waved us on.

Anyone found to have done anything to a Sligo player should be banned. He certainly got plenty of stick during the game but didnt see him do anything to try to wind anyone up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Strange game last night. Rovers flew out of the traps and were all over Galway for the first 10 minutes, and really should have been in front early on. But as soon as news filtered through that Sligo were 2-0 down, the entire thing went flat - in the stand and on the pitch. Very disappointed by Sligo's line-up but what can you do? Hope they go down now to be honest - even if it means Pat's staying up - maybe a 'weakened' team against them is in order :) . Regardless though, if we hadn't have thrown away the game with Cork it wouldn't have mattered.

In fairness, it's been a great season. If you offered me fourth place at the start of the campaign I would have snapped your hands off but to go into the final week of the season with a chance of still winning it was beyond my most optimistic hopes. There's been so many highlights and so many heroes. Twigg's goals, Real Madrid, the first game against Sligo, beating the Gypos in Tallaght, beating them again in Tallaght, tickets sold out signs in the club shop, it's been a great ****ing season.

It's not too long ago that we were making plans for away trips against Kilkenny City and Kildare County, while next season we'll be dusting off our passports.

Friday night was much like the Cork game where Rovers came out early but didn't get the goal. However when they got it just before half-time, it's really the first time where you could say you couldn't see the equaliser coming.

Against Dundalk and Cork it was inevitable whereas that was Galway's only run at Rovers. Still afterwards, Rovers had chances to get the second goal. Still it is on paper taken to the last day at least.

As for Sligo and their approach to the Bohs game.....it still doesn't outdo my desire for Pats to go down :)

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

As for Sligo and their approach to the Bohs game.....it still doesn't outdo my desire for Pats to go down :)

Kinda torn. Like putting the boot into Pats normally, but would be nice to repay Cook's "favour" by giving the first team an early holiday....

Nice sig, dfx- :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is the Ultras forum not working for anyone else?

not sure what's going on. All banter in here :) que mass bannings

The ultrasforum does seem to be offline at present so hopefully we will be back up and running shortly.

On the season I said at the start of the season I'd be delighted with 4th. Settle in at home and mount a proper charge next season. This season has gone so much better than can be expected but lads lets not let ourselves down by talking about a kids squad for the pats game.

This is Pats, I want the first team out there to destroy them. I don't care about Sligo. We didn't loose the league because the FAI paid Cork their wages or because Sligo put out a lesser side. The league was in our hands and the goal was win our remaining games because thats exactly what Bohs would do. We lost to Cork in a game where we were totally out played but the way we played long balls down the middle played right into their hands. How many balls does Price have to hit to a striker who isn't winning them before he cops on and changes it?

Galway. We destroyed them for 15-20mins. We had the much better chances and hit the post at the end. We didn't take our chances and let them walse on in to score. We los the league ourselves, not the fai not cookie not anyone, we did it!

• Advertisement

Admin closed it as it was too expensive. TIme for yiz to all chip in.

We have had 4 forums in the last week :confused:

Advertisement