Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Next up at Tallaght Stadium is Shamrock Rovers v Celtic XI. Neil Lennon will bring a Celtic XI to Tallaght on Tuesday February 23rd as part of Rovers' pre season schedule. Tickets go on sale at the club office on Monday Feb 5th. Note that season tickets are not valid for friendly matches.

*Does not compute*

There is no Monday Feb 5th :)

Should I take it that it's Monday Feb 15th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

CSF wrote: »
    We certainly weren't well attended, but I'd say it was a bit more than 300, bout 450 probably.

Compared to the away turnouts at Tallaght last season, that was good. Only Bohs and Pats brought more, although Bohs were obviously limited by their seat allocation.

Hopefully Shels do come back up soon, even next month maybe. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

dfx- wrote: »
    Anyway...Celtic XI...divided opinion around me about that game. Full ticket prices..
    Too right it should be full price, the more "Celtic Fans" we can fleece the better, about time they put something into Irish football

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

CiaranC wrote: »
    Too right it should be full price, the more "Celtic Fans" we can fleece the better, about time they put something into Irish football

I know that, but from a Rovers fan perspective - you're paying full league price to get into a friendly if you want see Rovers. There were queues for tickets at 7pm on Friday night. I doubt seeing that happening at full price.

Though financially, if enough Celtic fans go to compensate, it doesn't matter :)

Goal from Friday:

http://vimeo.com/9254997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Some good news for yous at least, looks like Connaught St is out of action, so no more complaining about that stand while the majority are forced to watch on TV.

bohsman2 wrote: »
    Some good news for yous at least, looks like Connaught St is out of action, so no more complaining about that stand while the majority are forced to watch on TV.

Will we have to go into your Shed now as the Tramway is closed down.

Gonna be less tickets for us this year I guess?

Too early to say, might even be fixable for all I know. Would probably be a case of 200 or so tickets for the far end of the shed with the rest of the stand blocked off.

bohsman2 wrote: »
    The long slow decline continues. Gutting and eventually selling the home of Irish football. How your Board havent been lynched by now is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Did Dan Murray get a run for ye Saturday? If so, how did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Played the 2nd half. Done OK but it was hard to judge as Shels were very poor to be honest. Wasn't stretched by any means...

Thanks. He will be a massive asset for Shams. Great pro. Once he finds his stride he will do wonders.

gimmick wrote: »
    Did Dan Murray get a run for ye Saturday? If so, how did he do?

Highly impressive the half that he was on. Immediately started organizing the back-four and played the ball out of defense well.

Himself and Rice seem like natural candidates for the captain's armband.

Anybody going out to Bray tonight?

stovelid wrote: »
    I was just told about it by a friend. He just texted me and claimed that some aul fella was on who claimed to recognize some known Shels 'lads' who were involved too.

Is that bullshit? :confused: I dunno whether my mate is trying to wind me up or not.

It wouldn't surprise me going on what I heard and saw at half-time on Friday night.

I'm thinking of going tonight..should be a good few out there as ever when Rovers are in Bray

• Advertisement

Today's Duffy show online now.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

About 56 minutes in.

Yeah looking forward to Bray. Nice fixture.

Just such that I wouldn't be surprised if they were at the match :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dfx- wrote: »
    Just such that I wouldn't be surprised if they were at the match :)

:confused:

Bray 0-1 Rovers

And no wall collapses:cool:

I got there late and missed the goal, which was a good one by all accounts. :o

On the plus side, I can now feel my hands and feet again. :D

• Advertisement

Highly impressive the half that he was on. Immediately started organizing the back-four and played the ball out of defense well.

Himself and Rice seem like natural candidates for the captain's armband.

Seems he has been made Shams captain. Delighted for him, but it makes me sad.

Funny you say that above, we called him Danny Baresi a bit. Great organiser and well able to take the ball out of defence and join up with midfield. At least he was pre Doolin.

I love this photo. Just after he got the equaliser against Glentoran in the Setanta Cup Final

2994255497_35a8467652.jpg?v=0

Any truth in the Murphy rumour, Gimmick?

Afraid so, seems he had his contract with CCFC cancelled and will sign for ShamCORK Rovers today :mad:

Thats 3 of our starting back four from last season now.

2000 Rovers -Celtic tix sold in 24 hours.

In the words of Swift: Burn everything Celtic except their supporter's dough.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wow Didnt think it wasd possible to hate him anymore, but there yah go.

We just need to sigh Dan Connor and then get Sullivan and Sives to change their first name to Dan as well.

Guaranteed football trivia classic in the making.

Dan Siv-es
    Dan Siv-es
    We can't pronounce your name,
    We love you all the same...

Nope doesn't have the same ring to it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Great strike by Bradzer i have to admit.

Clip here.

6 goals scored and none conceded in three friendlies so far. Not too bad at all.

Great stuff. So.

Can we have our thread back? Feel free to start another one about this.

Delighted with the Murphy signing. Just need a keeper and another striker (or two) and we are good to go I reckon.

• Advertisement

Murphy is a welcome addition at left-full if he's on a decent length contract as Stevens is only on a year right?

An experienced back-up keeper and perhaps a striker (or a fat-farm for Barrett!) would be the icing on the cake. Edwards signing up would be good. I'm happy with the squad though. Chambers, Dennehy and Murray look quality so far. Also the average age of the squad now must be only mid-twenties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only thing that worries me slightly is that neither Sives or Murray are blessed with pace. Although, there's not many teams that will be able to take advantage of that.

Only thing that worries me slightly is that neither Sives or Murray are blessed with pace.

Hopefully some of Mannus' jitters will also be ironed out when he gets a whole season playing in behind a more improved defence, and also more acceptance from our support without Baz in the shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hopefully some of Mannus' jitters will also be ironed out when he gets a whole season playing in behind a more improved defence, and also more acceptance from our support without Baz in the shadows.

Is Robert Duggan still with us? I know Mannus is going to be first choice but with Baz gone, we'll need back-up.

2,000 tickets sold for the Celtic game already, looks like there could be a full house.

Is Robert Duggan still with us?

I thought Duggan was gone?

What happened to the lad from Cherry Orchard: Hughes? I also guess that lad Murphy might be in the frame too, given that he's lined out in all the friendlies so far.

MON must be weighing up the options. Still nearly a month left in fairness.

Duggan is in England as far as I was aware

Definitely a striker needed if Edwards isn't signed, keeper should be fine with Mannus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I've split out the discussion on hooliganism and the brain deficient individuals who engage in same to a seperate thread. Please keep this thread to discussion of teamtalk/gossip etc relating to Rovers as opposed to the mindless minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Ah that's better....

Now where were we? Ah yes, Rovers are going to win the league this year and that is fact. You can take it from me.:p

I honestly believe the squad is in great shape and good enough to win it and with possibly one or two more players coming in, this will be our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Looking at the squad, it is extremely strong all over, not only starting XI but great cover too. The only thing that is missing is arguably another striker, but if Barrett can get his act together Rovers should be sorted in that department. Hopefully will have a good crack at Europe too.

• Advertisement

Ah that's better....

Now where were we? Ah yes, Rovers are going to win the league this year and that is fact. You can take it from me.:p

I honestly believe the squad is in great shape and good enough to win it and with possibly one or two more players coming in, this will be our year.

Going to be very very tight at the top alright. Its all about which signings gel better. Nothing in it in defence and midfield, think Bohs have the better attack and keepers.

To be honest, I think we shade midfield (on paper) if you count the wide positions. Kavanagh is more or less a new signing given hisn late purchase and the amount of games he had last season. Deegan is a huge loss for you, N'do less so.

Even though you've made a great buy in Baz, you're still weaker in that position than last year, but still stronger than us.

The inability to hold a lead/close a game lost us the league last year and I think MON's reconstruction of our defence and midfield addresses that.

On paper, you're stronger up-front and if Cretaro, Quigley, and Greene peform, you're laughing. In a way, you were as dependant on one striker as we were last season and an awful lot for us depends on Twigg delivering again. We also need Barrett to add goals to his otherwise excellent forward game and whoever comes in for us (Edwards?) in that position to perform.

Of course, it's all on-paper talk until we see how the squads bed in, but the tussle last year was great and long may it last.

Duggan has signed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Did that Craig walsh from footballs next star sign for u? Be intresting to see him in the flesh and see if he's any good it'd be great to see him turn out as a real gem

Did that Craig walsh from footballs next star sign for u? Be intresting to see him in the flesh and see if he's any good it'd be great to see him turn out as a real gem

He played the second half against Shels the other week and he didn't look anything special. Ye and he signed for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

To be fair to the lad though, it must be very tough for a 17 year old to stand out in 45 mins of a LoI pre-season friendly, hopefully he developes into the player the Inter Milan coaches think he can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

He played a half a game against Bray, I think. He played 15 minutes against Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ya he is still very young and hopefully he'll have the chance to mature into a really good player.

He didn't look too bad in the pre-seaosn games. It's a big step up for him and he's young.

Anyway, he'll be lucky to see much action in front of Turner, Chambers, Bradley and Rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's only being signed for the year anyways. Said he's more than likely off to WBA then.

To be fair to the lad though, it must be very tough for a 17 year old to stand out in 45 mins of a LoI pre-season friendly,

And a section of the Shels fans shouting "My girlfriend" at him.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement