Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    Of course, it's all on-paper talk until we see how the squads bed in, but the tussle last year was great and long may it last.

I'd settle for Rovers winning the league in a one horse race forever though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

From Aidan FitzGypo today:

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/bohs-v-rovers--set-to-christen-new-stadium-2069239.html

DUBLIN rivals Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers may get the honour of playing the first soccer match in the new Lansdowne Road stadium.

The Dublin 4 venue will officially be opened for football business with the Ireland-Argentina friendly on August 11, and there will also be a provincial rugby game there on August 7.

But stadium officials and the FAI are keen to have a dry run ahead of the Argentina game and it has been proposed to hold the Bohs-Rovers game, currently pencilled in for Tallaght Stadium on Friday August 6, at Lansdowne.

"There might be something on that but I can't really go into detail on it," said League director Fran Gavin.

"It would be fantastic. The FAI Cup final is there and it's going to be absolutely fantastic. It's going to be a great showcase. If something happens before that, great."

If it goes ahead, the Rovers-Bohs game at Lansdowne would attract the biggest crowd to a League of Ireland game since 20,000 fans watched Rovers play St Patrick's Athletic at the RDS in 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As long as we get the gate, it'll be great.

As long as we get the gate, it'll be great.

Can't see it myself.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I saw that earlier, it's supposed to be your home game isn't it? Kinda poor losing your home advantage like that for such a big game.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

No way should Rovers concede home advantage even for a supposed big pay day. We've spend long enough playing home matches all over the place so knock this on the head asap please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Could work if we played 2 derbys there, a home game each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

From Aidan FitzGypo today:

If it goes ahead, the Rovers-Bohs game at Lansdowne would attract the biggest crowd to a League of Ireland game since 20,000 fans watched Rovers play St Patrick's Athletic at the RDS in 1990.

hhehehe 20k wasnt vs us think he would know who it was against :D

bohsman2 wrote: »
    Could work if we played 2 derbys there, a home game each.
    Yeah, can't see the FAI agreeing though, the second game will probably have a much lower attendance

• Advertisement

My personal feeling is that it's a fantastic idea (for the league and both clubs) but I don't want to lose home advantage unless we get a serious cut, which I can't see us doing. Even you will admit you didn't really like coming to ours last season, especially the second game, and the games have a lot at stake.

It's a real pity the FAI can't dream up things like this other than to facilitate the boys in green. With no offence to the other clubs, the Rovers Bohs games last year (especially the sell-out) were the only thing we could turn to the Irish public and say: this is what games could be like if you lot took interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

dreamers75 wrote: »
    hhehehe 20k wasnt vs us think he would know who it was against :D
    Huh? It was against Pats, and it was 22k

Yeah, can't see the FAI agreeing though, the second game will probably have a much lower attendance

Aye, an initial game would probably even sell out with people wanting to be first in the Aviva, but not a second game, I think.

My personal feeling is that it's a fantastic idea (for the league and both clubs) but I don't want to lose home advantage unless we get a serious cut, which I can't see us doing. Even you will admit you didn't really like coming to ours last season, especially the second game, and the games have a lot at stake.
    Exactly, I'd be delighted if it worked out like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

The Club would be mad to turn down a potential extra €150,000 to €200,000 in gate receipts. It would be fantastic to see 22000 Rovers fans and 3000 Bohs fans at that game.

The Club would be mad to turn down a potential extra €150,000 to €200,000 in gate receipts. It would be fantastic to see 22000 Rovers fans and 3000 Bohs fans at that game.

You're forgetting about the FAI/IRFUs fee of 150-200k to host the game and the fact that itd actually be 50,000 daytrippers and a fairly even amount of Bohs and Rovers fans.

Wonder have Bohs already factored the receipts from this game into their accounts for this season?

Wonder have Bohs already factored the receipts from this game into their accounts for this season?

Obviously, anyone that doesn't make the squad will be selling burgers and chips in the stand aswell, which will make a nice change for them from the usual pint pulling in Dalymount when they dont make the squad.

Obviously, anyone that doesn't make the squad will be selling burgers and chips in the stand aswell, which will make a nice change for them from the usual pint pulling in Dalymount when they dont make the squad.

That's last season's loopholes. Keep up, will ya. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

You're forgetting about the FAI/IRFUs fee of 150-200k to host the game and the fact that itd actually be 50,000 daytrippers and a fairly even amount of Bohs and Rovers fans.

The game will be a Rovers home game. Crowd will be confined to a limit, probably in the region of 25000. There will be no fee for use of the stadium as Rovers will be doing the FAI a big favour :) by staging the fixture which will be a Health & Safety dry run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

It would be fantastic to see 22000 Rovers fans and 3000 Bohs fans at that game.

The Gardai would be busy hiding 22,000 of you

It's a real pity the FAI can't dream up things like this other than to facilitate the boys in green. With no offence to the other clubs, the Rovers Bohs games last year (especially the sell-out) were the only thing we could turn to the Irish public and say: this is what games could be like if you lot took interest.

But to even Rovers/Bohs fans...the quality of both games was deplorable...especially the second one...

Results were good, mind you:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

dfx- wrote: »
    But to even Rovers/Bohs fans...the quality of both games was deplorable...especially the second one...

Results were good, mind you:cool:

Couldnt agree more. Especialy the second one. Even the atmosphere for the first 80 minutes wasnt great every one was to tense. Neither team wanted to make a mistake, the football was terrible. But for Rovers fans anyway no one cared the last 10 minutes more than made up for it. Not sure if a nuetral would agree.

Chances the game will be called off ala Sunderland again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

And if it isn't, anyone going should double up on socks, fecking freezing out in Tallaght today so it was and very heavy snow at times.

• Advertisement

Chances the game will be called off ala Sunderland again?

If it does, we're officially jinxed.

Wondering even should I leave work now to drive from here (Pigsboro) to Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is it snowing up there then? Any word on who's travelled with Celtic?

I got a few worried texts around three saying it was brutal. Hopefully it will hold off as it could well be a sell-out.

I got a few worried texts around three saying it was brutal. Hopefully it will hold off as it could well be a sell-out.

I left college about 3, and it was heavy enough up in Tallaght, with a strong wind behind it.

Finished 1-1, muck match according to my mate. Best part of sold-out if not completely according to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Finished 1-1, muck match according to my mate. Best part of sold-out if not completely according to himself.
    It was a preseason friendly in Baltic conditions, what was he expecting? :P

Nice few bob made there, heard it was just short of a sellout.

It can't have been as cold as the rugby game I was at last year - not even gloves and hat made a difference...Tallaght is not a great ground for the warmth....

Rovers didn't change gear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

It can't have been as cold as the rugby game I was at last year - not even gloves and hat made a difference...Tallaght is not a great ground for the warmth....

See: Cup Final.

Just thankful it went ahead.

Wasn't the worst game. Some nice football at times, but the pitch was completely sodden and I don't remember a match that was cold as that for ages.

Some nice play from Rovers at times again I thought. It's been a promising pre-season, all things considered.

See: Cup Final.

Tallaght yesterday was muchhhh colder than the Cup Final.

A lot of it is the location. I grew up not far from the stadium. I'm convinced Killinarden was constructed to act as a wind-break for the nicer south suburbs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A lot of it is the location. I grew up not far from the stadium. I'm convinced Killinarden was constructed to act as a wind-break for the nicer south suburbs. :D
    And the rest of us are very grateful for that :)

Dave! wrote: »
    And the rest of us are very grateful for that :)

Posh c*nt. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some pics from last night!

4383668030_32f6490546.jpg

4382913945_c49dfee01c.jpg

4382905383_11246c25c9.jpg

Full set here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Your mate is wrong. Some great passages of play from both sides and a fair few chances. A fair bit of bite for an auld pre-season kickabout

• Advertisement

Your mate is wrong. Some great passages of play from both sides and a fair few chances. A fair bit of bite for an auld pre-season kickabout

Sorry for his opinion being wrong.:rolleyes:

Sorry for his opinion being wrong.:rolleyes:

No need to apologise, just try and pick mates who have a clue about football. :P

No need to apologise, just try and pick mates who have a clue about football. :P

Not my fault he's a Shams fan! ;)

Not my fault he's a Shams fan! ;)

You could tell he was though - he has high standards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me about parking near Tallaght Stadium. Wexford Youths pay their 1st visit there on Saturday night. Can you park in the Maldron car park?

oldyouth wrote: »
    Hi there,

Can anyone tell me about parking near Tallaght Stadium. Wexford Youths pay their 1st visit there on Saturday night. Can you park in the Maldron car park?

I think there are usually signs at the Maldron saying resident-only and the stadium car park is restricted to officials and Rovers members.

The Square is only across the road and has loads of pay-parking. Shouldn't cost you more than 2-3 quid for the duration of the match.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Hi there,

Stadium itslef is for members only, but being a low enough key game, get their early and ask a stewatd nicely and you never know.

You can chance your arm parking in the Arena car park across the road (Woodies and Lidl) for free. But you are chancing your arm....

Otherwise the square, but be warned, queues at the ticket machines can be messy after the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

park in killinarden..car will be grand

http://vimeo.com/9752257

Video clips of the games vs Celtic X1 taken from the ultras site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Some good passages of play. I was most impressed with Danny Murphy on the night.

Advertisement