Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Question:

When does 850 magically become 2500?

The minute that 1650 plastics realize they are probably going to win the league after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

stovelid wrote: »
    Question:

When does 850 magically become 2500?

The minute that 1650 plastics realize they are probably going to win the league after all.

And when does 6000 suddenly become 1000?

When they realise they've bottled it.....again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

bohsboy wrote: »
    And when does 6000 suddenly become 1000?

When they realise they've bottled it.....again.
    The novelty was supposed to wear off last year after we didnt win the league wasnt it? Didnt happen. Our crowds are bigger than ever.

We had seven times more fans in the ground on Saturday than you had a few weeks ago against Bray. Seven times more.

jodi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CiaranC wrote: »
    The novelty was supposed to wear off last year after we didnt win the league wasnt it? Didnt happen. Our crowds are bigger than ever.

We had seven times more fans in the ground on Saturday than you had a few weeks ago against Bray. Seven times more.

How many of that "seven times" caused that "Fan Meeting" last week?

Seems having the most fans isnt all its cracked up to be.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Seems having the most fans isnt all its cracked up to be.
    lol, whut?

Ok we'll start turning them away so.

• Advertisement

lol, whut?

Ok we'll start turning them away so.

Well if your players and manager blaming them for putting negative pressure on, well it would appear that having all those wonderful new supportive fans are not working out for you.

Lol, your fans lost you the league etc:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Well if your players and manager blaming them for putting negative pressure on, well it would appear that having all those wonderful new supportive fans are not working out for you.

Lol, your fans lost you the league etc:

Its madness alright, Ive never heard the likes of it

Bray at home when the title is gone, dead and buried to your nearest rivals. :(

If you've travelled out to the Carlisle Grounds or watched them at home, you will know they are the most dour depressing team to play against or watch.

Not very appealing.

I'd disagree with your crowd estimate, I think you are well down on last year both home and away.

If you've travelled out to the Carlisle Grounds or watched them at home, you will know they are the most dour depressing team to play against or watch.

Not very appealing.

I'd disagree with your crowd estimate, I think you are well down on last year both home and away.
    Yeahs it Brays fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not very appealing.

Not really, the last game for Rovers in Bray was very entertaining, if infuriating from a Hooped perspective. Bray played very well, probably should've won...

Glad that they won't go down this season thanks to D7. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

All together now.........

"Where were you in Tolka Park ?"

dfx- wrote: »
    Not really, the last game for Rovers in Bray was very entertaining, if infuriating from a Hooped perspective. Bray played very well, probably should've won...

Glad that they won't go down this season thanks to D7. :cool:

Oh I remember, you've had some very exciting encounters out there? Like the day your Always Ultras got attacked by the wall?

Priceless.

Pal wrote: »

Another genius chant from Bohs which equates to "Youve grown your fanbase by laying the foundations with a proper club structure and promoting your club for 10 solid years, an idea which is completely alien in D7, while we play in front of crowds of 600"

Or more simply "Youve got way more fans than us"

Like the "renters" taunt - "You play in a brand new ultra modern UEFA 3 star municipal facility, the norm in Europe, which is the centre of your local community and allows you to function financially without the millstone of owning property in the worst property market in the history of capitalism, but uhhh, thats bad somehow"

Or more simply "Rent is dead money"

Na-na-na-na-na

Or more simply "Youve got way more fans than us"

That's the best one :D

Our nearest rivals (honours wise) play in the first division now.

The average crowds actually increased very very slightly. Why are you passing off stuff directly picked out of your hole as fact?

Where are the normal Bohs heads gone from here. Are you the blow-in proxy?

Are you honestly equating a fall-off in crowds because we were completely out of contention for the league; just up from the first division; playing in Tolka and not having won anything since 1987/1994 with you lot not being able to muster more than a thousand supporters when your club is dead on it's feet, begging for support and you're pushing for a third title on the trot?

Unlike Shels, Us and (hypothetically)Pats, the first division will kill you off properly. Maybe you can check if the Drums name is still free for your post-shit-hitting-the-wall incarnation.

Let's get this in perspective, shall we ?
    • Rovers acquire a brand new all seater stadium with nice facilities, public transport links and parking. (it's a bit windy having no ends but hey who cares)
    • Rovers finally have a permanent place of sorts to call their 'Home'
    • Rovers bounce back from relegation and offer the footballing public Premier League fare to a massive cachement area
    • Glamour full house with temporary seats against Ronaldo and the Galacticos (it just gets better and better. we all want some now)
    • The punters buy season tickets and shirts
    • Glorious Europa League full house against Juve (you can now see why all the other clubs in the LOI are getting envious)
    • Rovers mount a first serious challenge for the Champions title in 16 years
    • Rovers go 7 points clear at the top
    • Liam Brady and Johnny Giles go into a state of ecstasy
    • and a mere 3,200 people turn up on Saturday for the club's most important game in years.

You can see where this is headed..........

You can see where this is headed..........

You sound just like a barstooler if you're looking down your nose at average attendances of nearly 4000. Your bitterness is so rank that you're willing to put the boot into your own league and basically paint the LOI experience in the same way that an Ole Ole would.

You've answered your own question anyway as you get a 25% of the attendance that you castigate.

And you have to pay a higher wage bill than ours; maintain a kip of a stadium with one side closed and another about to be and pay off colossal debts.

Enjoy your league. You've paid for it with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

And you have to pay a higher wage bill than ours;.

Wouldn't be so sure.Ours have reduced every season since Connors. Rovers have steadily increased theirs. Would say they're fairly similar this season.

You sound just like a barstooler

I go to matches so let's not digress.

In the movie 'Field of Dreams' , Ray builds a baseball stadium out in the sticks because a little voice in his head says "If you build it, they(sic) will come".

Sure enough, the movie has a happy ending and he gets to build his stadium and they all turn up for the opening game.

Today, the baseball stadium in Dubuque Iowa is a mausoleum style toursit attraction gathering dust that the owners have up for sale.

See where this is headed ?

Bitterville?
    bohsman wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure.Ours have reduced every season since Connors. Rovers have steadily increased theirs. Would say they're fairly similar this season.

I thought yours was still 1.2m? That's a little off our whole turnover.

• Advertisement

I see it headed for a sustained period of success built on a solid foundation of intelligent, realistic financials, with a view to growing the club in a sustainable manner year on year.

We have the fundamentals in place, and will still be here when the latest spend-yourself-into-oblivion exercise is long gone.

I should point out that I'm happy with a base crowd of 3-4 thousand if it sustains. Every club has hanger-ons that come and go, it's just more apparent in small leagues like ours.

I should point out that I'm happy with a base crowd of 3-4 thousand if it sustains. Every club has hanger-ons that come and go, it's just more apparent in small leagues like ours.

When you think how far back the nearest stable, legitimate club is, I think Rovers can rest easy waiting for the title if it means having 'to put up with' bandwagons and get 3,000 most weeks..

There was easily 4,000 yesterday.

dfx- wrote: »
    When you think how far back the nearest stable, legitimate club is, I think Rovers can rest easy waiting for the title if it means having 'to put up with' bandwagons and get 3,000 most weeks..

There was easily 4,000 yesterday.

I would have thought more - 4500+ - but it's harder to see how many are in the East stand when you're in it.

Every club has bandwagoners. The worry for LOI clubs is that nobody else gets them apart for once-off games. A good many of them will become supporters, I'm confident of that. LOI still provides a decent local craic/night out that is as important as results (within reason and I think second in the league and semi final of the cup still ain't too bad) and style of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Out of curiousity, who do you reckon are the "next most stable club"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bray.

Our nearest rivals (honours wise) play in the first division now.

The average crowds actually increased very very slightly. Why are you passing off stuff directly picked out of your hole as fact?

Where are the normal Bohs heads gone from here. Are you the blow-in proxy?

Are you honestly equating a fall-off in crowds because we were completely out of contention for the league; just up from the first division; playing in Tolka and not having won anything since 1987/1994 with you lot not being able to muster more than a thousand supporters when your club is dead on it's feet, begging for support and you're pushing for a third title on the trot?

Unlike Shels, Us and (hypothetically)Pats, the first division will kill you off properly. Maybe you can check if the Drums name is still free for your post-shit-hitting-the-wall incarnation.

Comical Ali is alive and well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

He actually is you know.

With this level of spoofing and riposte, I can only assume you're on your board?

• Advertisement

and managing Shamrock Chokers :D

Beam me up Scottie

With this level of spoofing and riposte, I can only assume you're on your board?

Spoofing? Where?

Spoofing? Where?

Can you show me where our average attendances have fallen this year as you said? Obviously you'd know.

Don't bother waffling: just tell me how you know and by how much they've fallen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A lot of Gypos on here gloating about a league they haven't won yet. Let's see how the league finishes first of all. Then you can prepare for life in the First Division.

If you read my post I said "I think your attendances are down". It's purely a visual observation. Against of the "Category B" teams, you're home attendances look well down on last year.

Your argument about the tickets for Dalymount and your poor turnout does'nt wash well. They took cash at the stalls on the night. Any LOI fan knows he/she won't be turned away at any ground with cash in hand. For a game of such magnitude for yourselves it was a terrible turnout. If we had to go to Tallaght for a similar game I'd go to any lengths to get into the ground. I'd hide colours and go in the Rovers end which we expected you lot to do.

Against of the "Category B" teams, you're home attendances look well down on last year.

Shite in other words

It's in and around the same. Obviously the capacity is double what is was so obviously it's not full like last year.
    They took cash at the stalls on the night.

How professional. Like your mates in Sligo.

• Advertisement

Shite, in other words.

How professional. Like your mates in Sligo.

Or like your inept fools who let me in at half time when I slipped them a fiver on the gate on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Let's keep within the charter here please, a couple of posters are walking a very thin line at the moment

Or like your inept fools who let me in at half time when I slipped them a fiver on the gate on Saturday.

You're just making a show of yourself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not sure what Bohs wage bill is, but I know as of a few weeks ago Shams budget was a decent sized one, absolutely bigger attendences but yous also have rent as an extra overhead.
    Out of curiousity, who do you reckon are the "next most stable club"?

Where's this comment made?

Very few clubs made a profit last season, Pats, Shels, Mons and Longford I think being the only clubs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

rent as an extra overhead.

Plus no assets to fall back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Yes, because Dalymount has proven to be such a great asset. :rolleyes: It'll only be an asset when it is sold, which incidentally will be the final nail in the BFC coffin, as it'll only be sold to pay the creditors leaving Bohs with zilch. Something that can never happen to rovers in Tallaght. :pac:

Yes, because Dalymount has proven to be such a great asset. :rolleyes: It'll only be an asset when it is sold, which incidentally will be the final nail in the BFC coffin, as it'll only be sold to pay the creditors leaving Bohs with zilch. Something that can never happen to rovers in Tallaght. :pac:

Yea, youse screwed your creditors over instead, fair play :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Yea, youse screwed your creditors over instead, fair play :rolleyes:

Jealousy will get you nowhere.

Jealousy will get you nowhere.

Whatever about crowds and new stadiums etc but I wouldn't be happy if Bohs ran away from debts.

Whatever about crowds and new stadiums etc but I wouldn't be happy if Bohs ran away from debts.

We'll see about that soon enough, more than likely.

Outside of all this arguing, can we puncture the great myth about having the 'asset' of a 'stadium'?

It would be great to have one if you have attendances in the 10-20k mark maybe but I'd rather rent a decent stadium than have the albatross of stadium maintenance (on gates of 1-4k) hanging around the club's neck.

Tolka, Dalymount and Richmond (as much as I love them) are kips and not palatable to a single punter outside the hardcore LOI. Of course, that's grand anyway because the minute a club like Rovers gets in floating or new punters, the rest of the LOI derides them as blow-ins. Same old tripe.

And an "asset" in this country just means a temptation to club boards to gamble financially against your home.

You reckon it's good to have an seizable "asset" of X millions when you can't get it together to pay your bills. LOL.

And for all your bleating about your asset: it's disgusting that a iconic ground like Dalyer has been let run into the ground by a member's-owned club. Why don't a hundred of you descend on the place one Saturday and clean up the Tramway or the Connaught instead of wittering on here about your "asset"?

it's disgusting that a iconic ground like Dalyer has been let run into the ground by a member's-owned club.

come off it.
    Youre hardly in a position to criticise
    Glenmalure Park anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Worked out well for them a few years ago!

Woohoo Rovers fans little boycott got us more tickets for sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

come off it.
    Glenmalure Park anyone ?

How can you seriously compare a stadium that closed its doors in 1987 to dalymount park today?

come off it.
    Glenmalure Park anyone ?

Were SRFC a members owned club when Milltown closed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement