Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Handy to find Wicklow too I'd say for the likes of Derry who've never been to Tallaght Stadium!;)

I'd love if we did play in Wicklow. It'd be closer to my house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Handy to find Wicklow too I'd say for the likes of Derry who've never been to Tallaght Stadium!;)

Tut tut tut, thats Gypo nonsense right there....

Looking forward to this game. Doing a pub crawl with a Shels fan I work with to the game. One half in each end. Bad news written all over it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Derry have been to Tallaght, they were in the premier in 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

CiaranC wrote: »
    Derry have been to Tallaght, they were in the premier in 2009
    That was a different club Ciaran.;)

AgileMyth wrote: »
    That was a different club Ciaran.;)
    Right, a joke. I get jokes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/1772-pre-season-friendlies

Killarney, Cork, Tolka, I wonder what wilderness is next..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Can I ask Rovers fans to give me the heads up on Karl Keogh. Young full back who is supposed to have signed for the Youths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

oldyouth wrote: »
    Can I ask Rovers fans to give me the heads up on Karl Keogh. Young full back who is supposed to have signed for the Youths

I know he played against us in the LSC Cup out in Tallaght, he's a defender and if memory serves me right he didn't have a great game at all (in all fairness most of the Rovers 11 didn't hence how they lost 3-1 to us of all teams).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Was in our A squad, old youth. He's actually from around where I live now and was over at Swansea for a few years. Haven't seen that much of him.

• Advertisement

I was talking to his father, Liam, at training on Sunday. Very colourful chap and great to hear stories about Rovers in the '70s when he was playing and, more than likely, I'd have been hurling abuse at him :p . Very nice man.

Very colourful chap and great to hear stories about Rovers in the '70s when he was playing and, more than likely, I'd have been hurling abuse at him :p .

Wexford Youths where around in the 70's?:p

Wexford Youths where around in the 70's?:p
    Gav, I'm an ex-Dub and well remember Milltown, Belfield Park, not the bowl, the shed at Dalymount.....need I go on :)

Gav, I'm an ex-Dub and well remember Milltown, Belfield Park, not the bowl, the shed at Dalymount.....need I go on :)

no need to remember that one, its still bloody there!

iregk wrote: »
    no need to remember that one, its still bloody there!
    When it was an actual shed......... often complete with various types of livestock ;)

Preseason so far:

Tues Feb 1st: Killarney Celtic v Shamrock Rovers, Celtic Park, Killarney. Kick off 7.30pm

Fri Feb 4th: Cork City FC v Shamrock Rovers, Musgrave Park, Cork. Kick off 7.45pm

Fri Feb 18th: Shelbourne FC v Shamrock Rovers, Tolka Park. Kick off 8pm

Mon Feb 7th: Shamrock Rovers FC v Celtic, Tallaght Stadium, Kick off 8pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

So did Chambers go for nothing? :(

Voltwad wrote: »
    So did Chambers go for nothing? :(
    Yes

Unfortunately we simply dont have the financial clout to gamble on two year contracts for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Yes

Unfortunately we simply dont have the financial clout to gamble on two year contracts for players.
    Is there not some ruling though that if they're under a certain age that compensation is required?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Is there not some ruling though that if they're under a certain age that compensation is required?

I think Chambers is too old.

Can't force him to sign a longer contract (or extension) when it's obvious he's good enough to go to Scotland or England.

Hoops sign Dean Kelly

Monday, 31 January 2011 13:38

Michael O'Neill has further bolstered his strike-force, as former Oldham Athletic player, Dean Kelly, has put pen to paper for the Hoops.

The 25-year-old striker, from Dublin, has linked up with the squad ahead of the 2011 title-defending campaign.

The Hoops squad will head to Killarney tomorrow to start a four-day training camp, which will kick-off with a friendly against Killarney Celtic on Tuesday (February 1).

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/1786-hoops-sign-dean-kelly

• Advertisement

110207-rovers-celtic.jpg

We've a television ad running for this on Setanta all week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Hoops sign Dean Kelly

Monday, 31 January 2011 13:38

Michael O'Neill has further bolstered his strike-force, as former Oldham Athletic player, Dean Kelly, has put pen to paper for the Hoops.

The 25-year-old striker, from Dublin, has linked up with the squad ahead of the 2011 title-defending campaign.

The Hoops squad will head to Killarney tomorrow to start a four-day training camp, which will kick-off with a friendly against Killarney Celtic on Tuesday (February 1).

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/1786-hoops-sign-dean-kelly

Rovers won 6-1 they where 1-0 down at half time dennehy got 2 mccabe got 1 sheppard got 1 not sure about the other two.

paulcorr wrote: »
    Not sure about the other two.

Kilduff and Anto Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I see rovers might be in for a Jamaican invasion.

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side...

Potentially the best name ever in LOI if he signs.

Wayne Deans would have been happy there.:D
    stovelid wrote: »
    Potentially the best name ever in LOI if he signs.

That award has already gone to ex-Shelbourne FC player Max Cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Soooo..anyone else heading to the match tonight? My first one in ages :o

oh hell yeah. don't let a little wind and rain put you off.

Yeah, I'll be there. The wind will probably be atrocious which at least might encourage everybody invlved to keep it o the deck.

Is this Jamaican guy playing?

• Advertisement

Is this Jamaican guy playing?

Think somebody said on the forum he's arriving today(?), so maybe he'll get a run-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Yeah hoping to get a look at this Jamaican, just glad to be going to a match though, been too long.

We played well (and on the deck) I thought - even if we did get suckered with the two goals at the start of the second half. A bit more into the season and I thought we would have put one or two of our chances away.

McCoarmack looks promising as cover on the left. Thought he got stuck in well and was OK on the ball. Priestly has done enough to warrant further investagation The through ball that got Dean Kelly creamed was top-drawer and would have normally have resulted in a goal or red-card for the goalie.

Assuming Murphy is ng signed, if McCormack and Priestly do enough to get contracts, I'd say cover at centre-half, centre-mid and maybe a third-choice goalie and we're set.

Many there? Heard 2,000 or so off my mate.

Many there? Heard 2,000 or so off my mate.

Just shy of 2,000. About 100 Celtic fans.

About 100 Celtic fans.

This Super Cup in Lansdowne is going to be a shambles.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Akeem Priestly, star in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Anyone reckon Rovers will increase their attendances much next season?

Anyone reckon Rovers will increase their attendances much next season?

Who knows?

Season ticket sales are around 2000 so far I think (ground holds around 6k) with a month to go so hopefully won't be far off last season but it would be hard to bet against people feeling the financial pinch, even if LOI is still a relatively cheap football night out for families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Depends on a number of factors really. Id say we'll hit the same levels tbh, or perhaps fall little short.

Bohs game usually boosts our average a good bit, especially if we're playing them twice in the season at home. With their future debateable.

Derry games always get a big crowd so glad they're back up.

2 Europa league games helped our overall attendance too. So its very much about how the season plays out.

Ebbs wrote: »
    Derry games always get a big crowd so glad they're back up.

Could be mistaken but New Derrys away crowd in Tolka this season wasn't half as good as the original clubs was. They're home attendences though were huge for 1st Division standards mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Could be mistaken but New Derrys away crowd in Tolka this season wasn't half as good as the original clubs was. They're home attendences though were huge for 1st Division standards mind you.

Shels are not as big a draw that they were before.

Works both ways.

Also natural that one of the big clubs will see an increase in attendance when they come up after demotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Quick question lads,i want to bring my daughter to her first match and as Rovers are her local team thats where we are going, im just wondering where is the best place to sit in the ground is there a family section/stand?.Dont want to be sitting right in the middle of the hardcore with her in case it scares the life out of her:D

Quick question lads,i want to bring my daughter to her first match and as Rovers are her local team thats where we are going, im just wondering where is the best place to sit in the ground is there a family section/stand?.Dont want to be sitting right in the middle of the hardcore with her in case it scares the life out of her:D

South end of the West (Main) stand is the Family section. No cussing etc. The West stand is far more sedate as the East Stand is the Ultras area

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Also natural that one of the big clubs will see an increase in attendance when they come up after demotion.

Demotion? You mean extinction I'm guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

As with Bohs, Pats etc, It's not exactly got to do with how many supporters they bring. In both cases they will near their alocation, however, we get bigger home crowds against the traditionaly strong teams. Derry always drew a strong home crowd from us, far more than drogs would.

I realise its a bit sad that our crowds depend on who we're playing and will dramatically dip against Bray et el, but its the sad state of football in this country.
    Demotion? You mean extinction I'm guessing.

They got kicked out of the league, not disbanded I thought?

Ebbs wrote: »

They got kicked out of the league, not disbanded I thought?

Kicked out of the League and they formed a new club.

Demotion, extinction, whatever you want to call it. I don't have the axe to grind that youse do. :)

The point I made was that there will probabaly be more supporters following the footballing entity that plays at the Brandywell this season than last season.

Kicked out of the League and they formed a new club.

Please try and understand, we don't care.

We get it. For some reason you still think you were harshly treated by the FAI when found to be running a money laundering operation for organised crime. But we don't need to read about your consipracy theories and disgruntlement that other clubs relegated after you got sorted before you on here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement