Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nice touch..

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/2016-25-years-on

Sept 1986; Rovers last played a 'real' home European Cup tie in Milltown. 25 years on, we play the 1st one in our new home in Tallaght.

rovers-86-87-squad-web.jpg

To celebrate the link between then and now, Shamrock Rovers F.C. is delighted to welcome the 1986/87 team as our guests to the Champions League tie against FC Flora in Tallaght Stadium on Tuesday July 12th.

The team was the last four in a row team before Milltown was cruelly taken from the club, but here in 2011, we can bridge that gap with the league champions of 1986 joining the league champions of 2010 to celebrate European football and just being a Hoop.

Pre match from 6.45pm, the players of '86 will join club members in the Glenmalure Suite to share some stories and refreshments and at half time, the team will introduced to the crowd on the pitch.

Shamrock Rovers F.C. - Pride in our Past, Faith in our Future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

If Rovers really had Fenlon as manager they would get to the group stages of the CL. As it is, St Pats are going to win the league.

born2bwild wrote: »
    If Rovers really had Fenlon as manager they would get to the group stages of the CL and fall out with the board and members by demanding more money than we generate

Fixed.

stovelid wrote: »
    If Rovers really had Fenlon as manager they would get to the group stages of the CL and fall out with the board and members by demanding more money than we generate/QUOTE]

Fixed.

A better suggestion I heard was Liam Buckley :D

I was at Tallaght the other day actually praying that Pats would do them because I actually think that Rovers squad should be walking this league.

MON is too 'British' in his footballing approach and thinking for that team. Kick and rush with the best midfield outside of the Premiership and the top 5 or 6 of the Championship is a recipe for underachievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

causing trouble as usual tonight. must be fairly embarrassing getting bet by a bohs team with out being harsh on them nobody's compared to a strong shams team with a few regulars playing.

causing trouble as usual tonight. must be fairly embarrassing getting bet by a bohs team with out being harsh on them nobody's compared to a strong shams team with a few regulars playing.

Were you there?

Bohs played well. More power to them. Should have done more with the players we had on but that cup isn't a priority this season.
    is a recipe for underachievement.

A lot of teams wouldn't mind the underachievement of winning the league and getting to the final of the FAI cup last year and winning the Setanta this season and leading the table for the majority of the season so far?

Were you there?

Bohs played well. More power to them. Should have done more with the players we had on but that cup isn't a priority this season.

A lot of teams wouldn't mind the underachievement of winning the league and getting to the final of the FAI cup last year and winning the Setanta this season and leading the table for the majority of the season so far?
    Well, you should be aiming higher.
    You have a much better team this year. Much better. Gary McCabe? Ronan Finn?
    MON is the problem. Take the Derry match (Zayedgate). Rovers sat back and allowed a poor Derry team to boss the midfield - with Rice, Finn, McCormack, McCabe playing for Shams that is a disgraceful way to drop 2 points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You could've just posted "I wasn't there"

Disappointing to have lost in the way Rovers did, but with the makeshift defence and the 10 men for 50 minutes or so, can't be too harsh on the lads. I felt the game changed when Turner came off and McCormack went into the middle. Rovers came out a bit more negatively after half time

Highlights were Flynn's tackles ( :pac: ) and the speed with which the pitch invading Bohs fans ran away. :D

dfx- wrote: »
    and the speed with which the pitch invading Bohs fans ran away. :D

Mach 2 at a guess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

defence and the 10 men for 50 minutes or so, can't be too harsh on the lads.
    50? O_o Yer man got injured just before 90 minutes, sure your last sub was on the 83rd according to ET

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Mach 2 at a guess. :)

Just wait til Limerick, Cork and Shels get to the Premier next year. There'll have to be a fyckin IMF bailout for the Garda overtime bill.

Just wait til Limerick, Cork and Shels get to the Premier next year. There'll have to be a fyckin IMF bailout for the Garda overtime bill.

Will Shels be paying the Gardai to double up as spectators?

50? O_o Yer man got injured just before 90 minutes, sure your last sub was on the 83rd according to ET

Ok, maybe 40-45 minutes then..8 minutes injury time + whatever was left of normal time, 32 minutes of extratime..

Decent game for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Yes hugely embarrassing for the club as a whole, there's talk of every player getting docked a week's wages and MO'N is simply going to take it upon himself and resign after that result, he knew it was the big one for all the fans.

Lovely touch booing the 19 year old in a reserves match that was quite clearly badly injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

If Rovers really had Fenlon as manager they would get to the group stages of the CL. As it is, St Pats are going to win the league.

Winning six game against european top seeded teams isnt a walk in the park. Didnt realise you could tell the future.
    I was at Tallaght the other day actually praying that Pats would do them because I actually think that Rovers squad should be walking this league.

MON is too 'British' in his footballing approach and thinking for that team. Kick and rush with the best midfield outside of the Premiership and the top 5 or 6 of the Championship is a recipe for underachievement.

And did you watch the game? I doubt it and if you were you must sense the irony.

We played football, 15 passes for our goal, I believe. Pats kicked it long from keeper to number 9 (North) and hoped for the best. With the height difference half of them were won by Sivves/Oman. The other ones he took down...and had the ball taken off him straight away.
    Well, you should be aiming higher.
    You have a much better team this year. Much better. Gary McCabe? Ronan Finn?
    MON is the problem. Take the Derry match (Zayedgate). Rovers sat back and allowed a poor Derry team to boss the midfield - with Rice, Finn, McCormack, McCabe playing for Shams that is a disgraceful way to drop 2 points.

Aiming higher than winning the league, still in the cup and being seeded for the 2nd round of the Champions League? We've lost 3 times in 2 rounds of fixtures. Hard to wrap up the league by now :S We did get good players in but you can only have 11 players on the pitch at a time. Shep and Finn are the only improvements to the first 11 really. Chambers was better than McCabe.

You obviously weren't at the Derry game either or "Zayedgate" as you childishly call it. We were in control for the whole first half, played good football. Only lost it 5-10 mins into the second half.

A "poor derry team" :S Jesus. Probally the second best team in the league and will be the ones battling at the end of the season.

Troll of the highest order. I assume a bohs/sligo fan?

• Advertisement

No buses going up to Derry on Friday I hear?

No buses going up to Derry on Friday I hear?

Not safe anymore.

The oppressed youth have got used to their cultural expression in a policing vacuum, I guess.

I agree completely with it anyway.

The game being on television probably made the decision easier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Doubt it'll change anything but good to see a stand being taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Would yous not get onto your club and ask them to get onto to Derry and get them to let yous out the non-graveyard entrance. That's what our board done after our first visit there when it was raining bottles from the graveyard, relucant Derry where but our board got it in the end.

• Advertisement

I agree completely with it anyway.

Me too. This one could be a little hotter than usual with all the other crap. Veritable rockery and all that.

Maybe the B-Specials could do a comeback gig and police outside.

Joke of course. Calm down.

Jim Magiltion in as temporary assistant coach...

http://www.thejournal.ie/shamrock-rovers-fans-cancel-ni-buses-over-security-fears-170871-Jul2011/

SIX SUPPORTERS’ GROUPS of League of Ireland champions Shamrock Rovers have cancelled all bus transport to an away game in Derry this weekend over fears for the safety of travelling fans.

The six groups said they were cancelling all buses to Rovers’ away tie against fourth-placed Derry City “because of genuine fears for the safety of Shamrock Rovers’ fans” and also because of the potential damage the vehicles could incur.

In a joint statement, the six supporters groups said previous attacks on Rovers’ buses at Derry’s Brandywell ground – which they said was a “no-go area” even for the local police – during previous League of Ireland games there.

Derry-Rovers matches have seen regular security skirmishes in recent years, with supporters claiming calls for police assistance went unanswered because PSNI officers were unwilling to enter the Lone Moor Road area.

A Rovers’ supporters bus was attacked when the sides last met in the Brandywell in March, in a game that ended 0-0.

Supporters have urged Derry City to “immediately address” the alarming situation, particularly given its unique status as a club which plays in the FAI’s Airtricity League despite being based in another police jurisdiction.

A spokesman for Derry City FC was unavailable for comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Is Derry that bad? Have never been myself but haven't heard any reports of trouble when we went up.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Is Derry that bad? Have never been myself but haven't heard any reports of trouble when we went up.

I've never been up there on the supporters bus before but by all accounts, it is. Even the team bus got it last time. No problem with the supporters or the city (stayed there a few times and had top craic) only the setwards and the bus incidents. I can see why nobody wants an injury or any more damage to the supporters buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never any trouble with us anyway, other than the accent Derrys a decent trip albeit the journey is fairly long.

Bohs and Rovers only ones with issues afaik.

As said, no problem with the actual Derry fans or the city itself, just little scrotes outside the ground.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Never any trouble with us anyway, other than the accent Derrys a decent trip albeit the journey is fairly long.

To be fair probably the only one's that bring a decent amount up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Jim Magilton in as temporary Assistant Manager while MON searches for a temporary replacement.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »

:confused:

What does that mean?

Stewards up there are a bit heavy handed.

So it's grand then, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Buses are bricked every time. Last time I was up there (the 0-0 draw this season) our bus was bricked and the outside layer of the window shattered. The lad sitting next to The window was lucky the inside layer held up. Could've suffered some serious facial lacerations, or another brick could have sailed through and skulled somebody.

The strange thing is when you're up there before the game it's great crack. The bars Are very accommodating and The banter with the city fans is gread. However, once you're on the bus on the way out there's always some little knackers waiting with their bricks. The PSNI don't send officers into the area.

So it's grand then, is it?

For us yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Lovely touch booing the 19 year old in a reserves match that was quite clearly badly injured.

Well in fairness he put in a very poor and dangerous tackle on a bohs player in which he injured himself in the process. That was why he was getting booed.

For us yeah.

All six of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

As said, no problem with the actual Derry fans or the city itself, just little scrotes outside the ground.

we had two large crowds up for the first game of the season then the mid week game and never any trouble in or around the ground.

we had two large crowds up for the first game of the season then the mid week game and never any trouble in or around the ground.

Still i wouldn't say it was comparable to our crowd, there's that and no one gives two sh!ts about Sligo, the big boys from Dublin are the one's they have their eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Theres usually a couple of hundred Sligo Rovers fans up when we play in Derry, there has been circa 1000 at a couple of games I've been at there over the years. Never been a problem.

Shams blame the other club every time something happens, yet they're the club involved time after time. :confused:

Still i wouldn't say it was comparable to our crowd, there's that and no one gives two sh!ts about Sligo, the big boys from Dublin are the one's they have their eye on.
    And maybe if ye stopped being such an antagonizing crowd of wankers ye wouldn't keep having these problems.

The buses also get bricked in sligo. It's nice to know that club rivalries means you justify hurling bricks at family coaches.

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Shams blame the other club every time something happens, yet they're the club involved time after time. :confused:

In fairness it seems like it's little scumbags from the area that are causing the problem rather than any of the supporters. This is an issue for the PSNI rather than Derry city FC.
    It's hard to blame Rovers supporters this time when they are sitting on busses! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Do the PSNI never go in there, or is it just on match nights?

It's a bit strange that in this day and age Derry City FC don't trust their own supporters not to cause trouble if the PSNI are there, and they are allowed to use paramilitaries to police the stadium.

Derry do need to sort out their stewards but the stone throwing is hardly the fault of the Derry support. The PSNI need to be allowed to get innocent visiting supporters out of there safely though. If they can't guarantee that, maybe Derry should be playing in their own league instead of ours.

If the outside the ground argument is used, then it should also be valid for any incident associated with any club not in the vicinity of their ground.

Some of the comments about retribution echo that on the side of some of the Derry support who claim that alleged chants from visiting support are to blame in getting the scrotes riled up. This begs the question that if they have nothing to do with the club then how do they know or care what goes on in the ground?

And by the same token, that appears to mean that if visiting supporters to Tallaght wind up the home crowd with chants, then all visiting supporters - man, woman and child - deserve a brick through their windscreen on the way home?

If the outside the ground argument is used, then it should also be valid for any incident associated with any club not in the vicinity of their ground.

Of course it should hence why I didn't go on the attack about Shamrock Rovers FC in another thread about incidents that occurred in Tallaght during our last couple of visits there. It is up the the Gardai (PSNI in Derry's case) to police the streets an ddeal with any anti social behaviour there. Would it be MCD or Aiken promotions responsibility if assaults were to take place outside one of their events?

That's not absolve clubs of their responsibilities. Gardai and clubs need to liaise and work together. This certainly doesn't seem to be done enough

I
    It's hard to blame Rovers supporters this time when they are sitting on busses! :D
    Whens the last time there was trouble at a LOI match not involving Shams?

I don't condone what the scumbags are at but if Shams fans stopped winding them up maybe they wouldn't get this treatment.

I assume this is in jest. Or maybe you're a blow-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Whens the last time there was trouble at a LOI match not involving Shams that was actually publised?

I don't condone what the scumbags are at but if Shams fans stopped winding them up maybe they wouldn't get this treatment.

I fixed it for you.

There is lots of "trouble" not involving Shamrock Rovers, it just doesnt see the front page of the sports section, have a few joe duffy callers or make it to the obsessed foot.ie.

Bohs vs Bray even had trouble at it...

Even saw some Sligo lads being told off by the police outside the Maldron at the last home game.

That might have been an official caution for clothes they were wearing.though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ebbs wrote: »

Bohs vs Bray even had trouble at it...
    When?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Pedro K wrote: »
    Buses are bricked every time. Last time I was up there (the 0-0 draw this season) our bus was bricked and the outside layer of the window shattered. The lad sitting next to The window was lucky the inside layer held up. Could've suffered some serious facial lacerations, or another brick could have sailed through and skulled somebody.

Same thing happened on the Hoops SC bus last time I was up there (0-1 win in 2009). Outer window pane smashed with bits falling on the road all the way back. It was Big Dec's window so it probably would've bounced off him anyway:pac:

If the situation keeps happening and continues to be ignored, then the only way of guaranteeing the safety of the bus driver and the bus companies' property along with the fans is by not going up.
    Des wrote: »
    Do the PSNI never go in there, or is it just on match nights?

Certainly not match nights. In 2007, Rovers fans tried to report a steward, rang the PSNI from outside the ground and they said they don't go to the area, that Rovers fans had to go to Strand Rd station to report it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Are you being serious or do you want us to discuss the Boh's Bray incidents?

• Advertisement
Advertisement