Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe getting it in before the usual chant from most fans from Dublin

All clubs get chants aimed at them to wind up. Part and parcel of the game. It's not like people are saying they approve of partition and so on.

I hated hearing the homeless back in the day but you have to take it on the chin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Maybe getting it in before the usual chant from most fans from Dublin

Or Derry fans were having a bit of banter?

Thick skin and all that.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dunno if it was posted but Turner said "gaddafis love child" to Zayed.

Not one but three words. Tripoli offensive.

Have no clue what was allegedly said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »

I hated hearing the homeless back in the day but you have to take it on the chin.

Back in the day? :pac:

Viva la Junkies used to be deadly until UEFA changed to Europa League doesnt have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ebbs wrote: »
    Or Derry fans were having a bit of banter?

Thick skin and all that.

Thats what I mean getting in before the Rovers fans could sign it showing that it does not bother us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

stovelid wrote: »
    Not one but three words. Tripoli offensive.

Have no clue what was allegedly said.

One of my best friends plays for Rovers, (I've tried to disown him numerous times since moving over there) he played in said match and told me exactly what was said to Zayed and it wasn't "gaddafis love child", Turner called him "A P*ki C*nt"

Tbh I know people won't believe me (considering I'm a Bohs fan) or will choose not to believe me but that's what I was told 100% what was said from Turners team mate. Take it or leave it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Given the night that's in it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

lads, will srfc tv have radio coverage of the match or will there be a picture?

G'luck tonight by the way! I should have tried to make it down :(

Good luck flora

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Best of luck Rovers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

how much is it in tonight lads? €20???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Lads any links to the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

wish this was on rte.........

http://www.srfc.tv/blog/

Audio and some video.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

digme wrote: »
    wish this was on rte.........

Wish they had RTE in Chile.

Thanks for the links lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Mannus just saved a peno, apparently Rovers are all over them apart from the peno.

edit: Now 1-0 Rovers, Turner!

*info from extratime.ie on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

How do you watch? it's saying chanell off air?

*edit never mind have it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

1-0 Hoops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Congrats Rovers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Should have won by more to be honest but we'll take the clean sheet. Flora were limited but could easily have nabbed one near the end (not forgetting their missed peno in the first half). Good crowd, great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly should have been three or four nil. Part of me is happy with a clean sheet and not conceding an away goal but the other, bigger part of me is worried that we didn't wrap things up tonight, when we really should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Alan Mannus, super keeper. Was a poor peno but he guessed correctly and saved it. Turner took his goal well and it could have been 3 or 4 nil on another night.

Thought the ref was poor, Twigg was getting lumps kicked outta of him as was Billy, no protection from the ref.

Half time in this tie but very confident of getting a result over in Estonia. Well done Mick o Neill and the Hoops squad, got it just right on the night.

As for the fans in the East stand and Some in the West...........MAGICAL.

Also, was I halucinating or did Billy take several crosses on his right foot tonight?

Mannus gone and Brush signed today rumouringly.

Brush has been training with us for over a month now. I wouldn't put any stock in anything about Manus moving just yet.

Brush has been training with us for over a month now. I wouldn't put any stock in anything about Manus moving just yet.

Rumouringly done dusted imo you have a better keeper now than you did earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

As for the fans in the East stand and Some in the West...........MAGICAL.

Usually sit in the East but was in the West tonight. Looking across as "We won four in a row...." rang out to honour the legends of that team gathered in the centre circle was really something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Was a bit flat in the second half but Flora were content to go home with a 1-0 deficit. Thought they'd nicked a goal near the end there but it deflected out for a corner.

• Advertisement

Mannus gone and Brush signed today rumouringly.

He did a lap of "honor" tonight. Id say hes gone after wednesday, due to registrations.

Great win though, they were really poor and for a full time team had no physical presence. SOD was pushing people off the ball.

Ref was terrible :/ Bring back Winters.

Great win though, they were really poor and for a full time team had no physical presence. SOD was pushing people off the ball.

This can bite you in the ass tho, they can be all over you in next leg(from my euro experience we get roasted away yet come away with the tie alive) thats all you need tbh.

They are **** but midway tru season got away with a 1-0 away defeat which isnt bad.

Defintley reckon rovers will score over there tho just dunno if it be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

they were really poor and for a full time team had no physical presence.

How did Flora do?;)

This can bite you in the ass tho, they can be all over you in next leg(from my euro experience we get roasted away yet come away with the tie alive) thats all you need tbh.

They are **** but midway tru season got away with a 1-0 away defeat which isnt bad.

Defintley reckon rovers will score over there tho just dunno if it be enough.

That's what im afraid of too tbh. If we nick a goal its all ours imo. Wont have a big crowd to scare us.... probally more hoops over there.

We did better last year away from home, in a much hotter climate against a very good team.

All ours to lose, just disappointed we didnt put them away with all the chances. Turner was my MoTM he was very good going forward and strong, sivves was great at the back too and really ran the show from there...everyone played well really. Kelly will be kicking himself if he isnt higher in the pecking order than GoN and Kilduff.

If that's their normal performance Rovers should score out there. They looked very vulnerable for any cross and if Rovers had decided to take corners instead of short rubbish, there's goals to be had. I thought the ref was decent, it didn't look a penalty from the far end and he spotted Turner's dive at the start.

Their keeper was poor under pressure and poor kicking. Crucial clean sheet as I don't see where two goals from open play are coming from Flora. Of course there's room for mistakes, penalties, ogs...

Great finish from Turner:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Shams should have put them away early on. Big problem in the middle of the park for shams was Stephen O'Donnell. He was not up to the job of holding midfielder kept giving the ball away. Play that McCormack fella instead.
    1 up front for Shams was bad news too 4-4-2 with Gary O'Neill would have opened them up...still, MON had obviously seen how sh1te their fullbacks were so Shams used the wings a lot.
    What were shams doing with those short corners? Hope they get through, though.
    Ronan Finn, Enda Stevens, Twigg MenOTM.
    That ref had obviously been bought off with promises of Estonian brassers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

ollaetta wrote: »
    Usually sit in the East but was in the West tonight. Looking across as "We won four in a row...." rang out to honour the legends of that team gathered in the centre circle was really something special.

Yes it was a little bit special alright, brought a tear to my eye thinking where we have been and where we are now.

Thought about the Mannus lap of honour at the end and it really looked like a goodbye from him. Even gave his gloves to some young lad in the tunnel which was a nice touch.

Have to agree about O'Donnell, he just can't hold and spread the play, lost count of how many wayward passes. Ricer looked like a bull on the bench, not a happy camper at all.

Billy was making a great effort to cross with the right foot, but was getting hacked out of it and the ref giving nothing.

Also lads whats the craic with the civil service folk, i know they do a sterling job and all that, but its like a scene from father Ted everytime they go on the pitch.

Onwards and upwards, really feeling positive about scoring out there and getting a good result. In Michael we trust.....KOH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Congratulations on your first win in the CL. Wrap it up next week now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Also lads whats the craic with the civil service folk, i know they do a sterling job and all that, but its like a scene from father Ted everytime they go on the pitch.

Never forget playing Fingal in Morton the few times we did, and they'd be an army of Civil Defence lads with their fire engines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Shameful stuff from MO'N. We have the best striker in the League and we have him chasing lost balls all night. We have the best midfielder in the League and we play him out of position. One man up front against the worst team to play in Tallaght this season is not good enough.
    It was very easy for Flora to restrict us to a few chances. Apart from their peno, they had a couple of other chances, including one at the death. Final score was, five chances to us and three to them. Considering the time we had on the ball, and how absolutely muck they were, that is shocking stuff. It's as bad as Kerr's tactics after going 2 up against Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ricer looked like a bull on the bench, not a happy camper at all.

I thought it was a good call leaving him out last night. Turner is banned for 3 league games which means he can't play on friday. Play him Tuesday, Ricer friday and Turner Tuesday. Rotation, perfect when done effectively.

Last night O'Donnell showed some great stuff but did give the ball away too easily and you're right he doesn't hold the middle. Whats also noticeable is that when the 'holding' midfielder isn't playing overly well Finn disappears from the game. He needs others to sort out the midfield and give him the space to roam.

Kelly showed some great touches last night, in the 2nd half especially. If he only got more of a run further forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Shameful stuff from MO'N. We have the best striker in the League and we have him chasing lost balls all night. We have the best midfielder in the League and we play him out of position. One man up front against the worst team to play in Tallaght this season is not good enough.
    It was very easy for Flora to restrict us to a few chances. Apart from their peno, they had a couple of other chances, including one at the death. Final score was, five chances to us and three to them. Considering the time we had on the ball, and how absolutely muck they were, that is shocking stuff. It's as bad as Kerr's tactics after going 2 up against Israel.

Don't know what game you were watching to be honest. To suggest we only had 5 chances is utter rubbish. 11 shots on target and 8 off target, that's 19 chances in my book. Finn out of position? He was in his best position last night attacking through the middle without having to worry about tracking back to much as O'Donnell was there to hold and sit allowing Finn and Turner the freedom to run forward at every opportunity. Sounds like you've adopted a negative viewpoint on the manager and will therefore see everything in a negative light to back up your viewpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Don't know what game you were watching to be honest. To suggest we only had 5 chances is utter rubbish. 11 shots on target and 8 off target, that's 19 chances in my book. Finn out of position? He was in his best position last night attacking through the middle without having to worry about tracking back to much as O'Donnell was there to hold and sit allowing Finn and Turner the freedom to run forward at every opportunity. Sounds like you've adopted a negative viewpoint on the manager and will therefore see everything in a negative light to back up your viewpoint.

Up to this point, I hadn't once been critical of MO'N. Last nights set up was dreadful. Why do we need a holding midfielder? You'd swear that was the answer to winning every game. We were playing the worst team to come to Tallaght. They didn't come into our third of the pitch for the first 10 minutes. At most, they had one man up front. Holding midfielder me bolli%.
    As I said already, how ridiculous is it that we ask someone with Twiggy's talent to chase loose balls all night.
    As for O'Donnell, he is immune to passing the ball forward. He was also caught twice on the ball in the centre circle, and that's against muck opposition.
    Have a look at the game again before making up stats. Their keeper made three saves, ours made two.
    I'm pissed off now. You should have seen me during the game.

Quite worrying that we weren't able to score more as Flora were brutal and we had lots of chances even if we had those goals ruled out also. I also felt that Twigg needed more support at times although he worked hard and held the ball up well. Turner played very well. As said, SOD was sloppy at times and lucky not to be punished. Super atmosphere and hopefully the team can dominate again with less of a crowd behind them on Tuesday.

I think the Dean Kelly topic should be put to bed after last night. Can't see him going anywhere. Has probably played himself above Kilduff and O'Neill in the pecking order now although I'd like to see him with Twigg and see how he gets on.

I thought Kelly was much improved in the second half when he came in off the wing. I'd have him above Sheppard and Kilduff in the pecking order, but still think O'Neill and Twigg are the best partnership.

The briefcase lad got to go onto the pitch too, he must be thrilled with himself

iregk wrote: »
    Whats also noticeable is that when the 'holding' midfielder isn't playing overly well Finn disappears from the game. He needs others to sort out the midfield and give him the space to roam.
    Finn played like Roy of the frakkin Rovers last year when he had Shaun Williams behind him.
    That's not to say that Finn has shortcomings in this respect - if one player isn't up to delivering his part of the overall deal then it'll have knock-on effects.
    You should have played McCormack or Rice in that position. O'Donnell just wasn't good enough.

Up to this point, I hadn't once been critical of MO'N. Last nights set up was dreadful. Why do we need a holding midfielder? You'd swear that was the answer to winning every game. We were playing the worst team to come to Tallaght. They didn't come into our third of the pitch for the first 10 minutes. At most, they had one man up front. Holding midfielder me bolli%.
    As I said already, how ridiculous is it that we ask someone with Twiggy's talent to chase loose balls all night.
    As for O'Donnell, he is immune to passing the ball forward. He was also caught twice on the ball in the centre circle, and that's against muck opposition.
    Have a look at the game again before making up stats. Their keeper made three saves, ours made two.
    I'm pissed off now. You should have seen me during the game.
    Flora were playing 4-3-3 with their three front men staggered so that it was actually 4-3-2-1. That meant that O'Donnell was effectively outnumbered 2/3-1 sometimes.

The problem wasn't that you had a holding midfielder it was that you didn't have 2 holding midfielders or just a better player than O'Donnell in that position (McCormack?). O'Donnell was a bit swamped at times and that explains the mistakes he made.

Shams should have played 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 with O'Neill playing off Twigg.

Not great management of space by MON tbh

Critising MoN, really?

One of our best performances, sure we beat galway/ucd/rag ball rovers 5 nill or whatever but did we really create more chances than we did last night?

One up front argument is being done to the death. The ball broke to our players perfectly, we just couldnt convert. Not Mons fault at all. Fair enough if we couldnt find players or second balls were not getting won but they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Alan Mannus leaving for Saint Johnstone :(

Pretty ****ty to leave during our europe games too. Paul Hunt at Longford is savage, should go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Alan Mannus leaving for Saint Johnstone :(

Pretty ****ty to leave during our europe games too. Paul Hunt at Longford is savage, should go for him.
    Is there a fee involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Voltwad wrote: »
    Is there a fee involved?

Escape clause activated, I dunno anything more about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement