Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good value entry level SLR?

• 13-03-2009 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

I know absolutley nothing about cameras or photography. The boyfriend has mentioned a few times that he would like to get into photography as a hobby and was thinking of getting an entry level SLR to see how he gets on.

His birthday is coming up and PC Worls have a Fuji S1000FD Digital SLR on at €149, link below to it on pixmania:

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/886506/art/fuji/finepix-s1000fd.html?srcid=391&mctag=uk_16067&gclid=CLPAq93Cn5kCFQgSzAodRSQ3qA

What I'm wondering is would this be a decent enough camera to get him started, or should I just leave him to save up for something better? I can't afford too much more.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

It's not a SLR, it's a bridge camera. Loads of folk here (including me) have started off photography with fuji bridge camera's like this, though not as good and costing much more.

If you think your BF has his heart set on a DSLR then wait and save (you are looking at roughly €400), if not and he just wants to get going in photography then go for it, it's a lot of camera for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Nilhg beat me to it, whilst I absorbed the marketing video on its pixmania page.
    The adverts page has good value on second hand DLSRs as people trade up.
    You'ld need to do a bit of web researching or perhaps there is someone you know who is into photography the might be able to help you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If its DSLR that you were hoping for rather than a bridge - the best value that i've seen around lately is the Nikon D40 DSLR 6MP with 18-55 Lens for €379.99. This was an Argos price.

Others may have better entry level value options that they can report.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

nilhg wrote: »
    It's not a SLR, it's a bridge camera

That shows just how much I know about cameras! Although you can see how I got confused, seeing as it has SLR in the product title :confused:

Thanks a mil for the speedy response folks, I guess I have a bit of reading to do before I decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

litup wrote: »
    That shows just how much I know about cameras! Although you can see how I got confused, seeing as it has SLR in the product title :confused:

In fairness to pixmania, it doesn't seem to be implied at all anywhere on that page that this is an SLR. It's even in the "bridge cameras" section.

I'd sound your boyfriend out a bit more as to what he wants. Chances are that if he's getting into this he might have been shopping around or researching stuff and might have a very clear idea what he wants. Maybe a promise to buy whatever it is he's been looking at, some sort of "IOU one DSLR" all wrapped up in a neat card for his birthday or something. Might save disappointment in the long run :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

In fairness to pixmania, it doesn't seem to be implied at all anywhere on that page that this is an SLR. It's even in the "bridge cameras" section.

Sorry, I meant in the PC World ad. It calls it an S1000FD Digital SLR Camera, hence my thinking it was an SLR!

You are probably right about sussing him out a bit more though, I don't want to get him it only for him to have to replace it in 6 months. I just don't really know enough about it all to make a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    If its DSLR that you were hoping for rather than a bridge - the best value that i've seen around lately is the Nikon D40 DSLR 6MP with 18-55 Lens for €379.99. This was an Argos price.

Others may have better entry level value options that they can report.

I paid €330 for a canon 1000d with the 18-55 kit lens in jessops in the North in Decemeber. The euro was around £0.98p but its still about 90p now.... & then I got an extra €30 cash back from canon (but this offer has expired)

Advertisement