Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 network issue in south County Dublin

• 13-03-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Has anyone had any network issues with 3 in the south County Dublin area (notably Dun Laoghaire) recently? Last week, voice quality was perfect, but this week I get a lot of patchy cut-outs, and numerous "Network Busy" and "Communications Error" messages. Phone works just fine pretty much anywhere else (Wicklow, Kildare, Dublin city centre) but just not here.

Phone is a Nokia N95, and tried also a Nokia 6280 with the same results. Guys on 3 tech support told me to try another 3 SIM card, even though I told them the phone (and SIM card) works everywhere else but here. :(

Anyone else seen this problem lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have seen this before on a number of occasions in lots of places. It happens to a lot of people and it seems to be area dependent. On one occasion i couldn't do anything with data or even hold a call for a period of time without it dropping while having full signal. Tried different phones and the usual CC suggestions removing sim and battery etc.

I had to get another phone and number so cc could ring me because i couldn't stay on long enough on the 3 number. But as soon as i would drive out of town the coverage was perfect and could hold a call and use the internet.

I bet when it give the Communications Error or network busy error it takes several times before you actually make a connection to a call. Switch off 3g in the phone and see if it makes any difference for you. And i know how frustrating this can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Davy wrote: »
    I bet when it give the Communications Error or network busy error it takes several times before you actually make a connection to a call. Switch off 3g in the phone and see if it makes any difference for you. And i know how frustrating this can be!

Precisely! I switched it over to 2G like you suggest and it works fine now! Thanks for the tip, not sure why I didn't think of this (nor why tech support didn't either, mind you..).

Let's hope they get it sorted out soon, but at least being able to take a call is a plus. :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tech support is not really the best as many know. Switching off 3g was not satisfactory for me so i voted with my feet and left.

Glad its sorted it for you now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

When you switch off 3g your using Vodafones Network thats why they don't tell you to do this, if you bought the phone from 3 you wouldn't have that option either. As for your problem good luck with that I had and am still having the same issuse down in portlaoise 3 have said its a network issue and its flagged as high priority and should be fixed in a few weeks I kid you not months later its still the same and everything I call I get the same story it should be fixed in a few weeks. I have also noticed this happening in other areas around the country. Perhaps they have to many on the network in that area and not enough cells to cope with it?

mcguyver wrote: »
    As for your problem good luck with that I had and am still having the same issuse down in portlaoise 3 have said its a network issue and its flagged as high priority and should be fixed in a few weeks I kid you not months later its still the same and everything I call I get the same story it should be fixed in a few weeks. I have also noticed this happening in other areas around the country. Perhaps they have to many on the network in that area and not enough cells to cope with it?

Hmm.. :( I'm bringing this old thread up again as it has indeed been ages since I was first in touch with 3 support, and they do keep telling me that it would be fixed real soon. Lately, even the 2G signal is poor, which is a tad odd, so I'm left with a phone I can't rely on at work. :(

It might indeed be time to check out offerings from Vodafone or O2, but I'll sure miss data roaming in the UK and other countries that support it. :mad: Tis a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

eko wrote: »
    Hmm.. :( I'm bringing this old thread up again as it has indeed been ages since I was first in touch with 3 support, and they do keep telling me that it would be fixed real soon. Lately, even the 2G signal is poor, which is a tad odd, so I'm left with a phone I can't rely on at work. :(

It might indeed be time to check out offerings from Vodafone or O2, but I'll sure miss data roaming in the UK and other countries that support it. :mad: Tis a pity.

My best advice would be to hop networks and get a pre-pay Vodafone sim card if you want to use data abroad. If you use the live APN (if you want more info on this go to the network settings thread) it'll cost 99c a day, as long as they have a roaming agreement with the network you're using. Even if you use a few different networks it'll still be 99c. There are cases however (you won't have this problem in the UK using Vodafone) where on non-Vodafone networks they have data roaming on the 2G networks but not the 3G ones.

Hope that helps.

Adro947 wrote: »
    My best advice would be to hop networks and get a pre-pay Vodafone sim card if you want to use data abroad. If you use the live APN (if you want more info on this go to the network settings thread) it'll cost 99c a day, as long as they have a roaming agreement with the network you're using. Even if you use a few different networks it'll still be 99c. There are cases however (you won't have this problem in the UK using Vodafone) where on non-Vodafone networks they have data roaming on the 2G networks but not the 3G ones.

Hope that helps.

Okay, will check this out, thanks! Even if it is a 2.5G data connection abroad it'll be fine, as I really only need it to browse a little and to check e-mail on the go. I'm also heading to Hong Kong for a few weeks in the summer, where I knew that 3 have their 3 Like Home service, but for 99c a day I'd be happy to use the method you described.

Cheers! :D

Advertisement