Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey!

Options
  • 13-03-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this is one of a million threads - but my search function is disabled due to crap work internet and home internet is malfunctiong currently;

My current preferred whiskey is Red Breast - there was even a thread about the 15 yr old recently, so I know there are other lovers of it around..

Just looking to see if people have opinions on similar/nice Irish whiskeys (sorry scotch lovers, it just ain't my tipple). I particularily love the vanilla-ey flavour in Red Breast - or at least that's what it tastes like to me.

When I'm drinking a bit cheaper, Paddy would be my choice. The 15 yr old Red Breast just seems too expensive for the small amount of extra time yer getting - 2 bottles of the regular red breast could be purchased for less.

So ehh yeahh; any suggestions? - just to pre-empt suggestions I've tried or already own; midleton (bit expensive and burney but nice), black bush, black bush in the green box, bushmills, paddy, jameson, jameson gold, jameson 12 yr old, jameson 15 yr old (I don't drink jemmy much any more, drank too much of it) and well that's all I can think of at the moment.. probably tried more cheap generic type whiskeys than I care to recall..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

jim o doom wrote: »
    I'm sure this is one of a million threads - but my search function is disabled due to crap work internet and home internet is malfunctiong currently;

My current preferred whiskey is Red Breast - there was even a thread about the 15 yr old recently, so I know there are other lovers of it around..

Just looking to see if people have opinions on similar/nice Irish whiskeys (sorry scotch lovers, it just ain't my tipple). I particularily love the vanilla-ey flavour in Red Breast - or at least that's what it tastes like to me.

When I'm drinking a bit cheaper, Paddy would be my choice. The 15 yr old Red Breast just seems too expensive for the small amount of extra time yer getting - 2 bottles of the regular red breast could be purchased for less.

So ehh yeahh; any suggestions? - just to pre-empt suggestions I've tried or already own; midleton (bit expensive and burney but nice), black bush, black bush in the green box, bushmills, paddy, jameson, jameson gold, jameson 12 yr old, jameson 15 yr old (I don't drink jemmy much any more, drank too much of it) and well that's all I can think of at the moment.. probably tried more cheap generic type whiskeys than I care to recall..

Redbreast... Interesting as I was given a bottle of the 12 yr on Tuesday. Have never tried it before but looking forward to a taste of it this evening.

A couple years ago Jameson was the whiskey I drank but then for some reason I converted to scotch. So the bottles I mostly go for these days are Johnny Walker and Famous Grouse (normally 12 year but there'll always be a bottle of the lesser expensive stuff around for when I'm drinking in larger than normal quantities).

Hope I enjoy the Red Breast as much as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Try Greenore, from Cooley. I wouldn't be a massive whiskey fan by any means, but I had this in a tasting and I loved it. It's a very youthful, approachable style. It's made just from corn, it's not a blend like most whiskeys.

http://www.cooleywhiskey.com/our_whiskey/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

rediguana wrote: »
    Try Greenore, from Cooley. I wouldn't be a massive whiskey fan by any means, but I had this in a tasting and I loved it. It's a very youthful, approachable style. It's made just from corn, it's not a blend like most whiskeys.

oohh interesting - do you know if they sell that up in the Celtic whiskey shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I suspect that they might sell it there. I'd google it for you but I'm with 3 Network, so my "broadband" is about 10% the speed of dial-up.

Seriously though, try it, it's beautiful!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yep, they have the 8 and 15 year-old listed.

I'd recommend going to Celtic Whiskey, seeing what's open, tasting a few, and deciding if there's something you like. It's a lot more fun than talking to people on the Internet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Laphroaig.
    Peaty and so, so goddamn delicious. I love the stuff. Must get some more when I'm up North again. (£20 in Sainsburys, €42 in the Celtic Whiskey shop)

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Laphroaig.
    I've a funny feeling that might just be scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've a funny feeling that might just be scotch.
    Scotch whisky is whisky made in Scotland. In Britain, the term whisky is usually taken to mean Scotch unless otherwise specified. In other English-speaking countries, it is often referred to as "Scotch".

depends where you hail from I s'pose.

Whiskey, scotch, tomato....potato....:o

Yep, they have the 8 and 15 year-old listed.

I'd recommend going to Celtic Whiskey, seeing what's open, tasting a few, and deciding if there's something you like. It's a lot more fun than talking to people on the Internet :D

I agree wholeheartedly - but during the hours the place is open I spend 99% of my time on a motorcycle - so I can't be partaking of the beauteous tastiness in that place as I would be bold and illegal to drink and drive. and exceptionally foolhardy on a motorcycle. I might get the Luas in on Saturday and give it a try though..

To the poster who suggested Laphraiog, sleipneir (if thats a right spelling) - are you sure it ain't a scotch? I know I'm being a bit picky here, but scotch really isn't for me..

I tried a good few scotchs, dimple was one I bought and a few other types my mate has - but it just doesn't suit me - there's always the "scotch" flavour which sort of catches in my throat.. :) /p>

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I have really enjoyed a couple of bottles of Green Spot blended for/ by Mitchells and usually available where they know their whiskey.

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote: »
    depends where you hail from I s'pose.
    Regardless of this, the OP asked for Irish whiskey specifically.

so I can't be partaking of the beauteous tastiness in that place as I would be bold and illegal to drink and drive
    I think there's a spit bucket.

I think there's a spit bucket.

not to sound like an alcoholic, but I don't know if I could physically spit out a good whiskey once it was in my gob! plus without swallowing, it's hard to figure what the "burn factor" of a whiskey is going to be like..

But I am most likely gonna follow yer advice and get the luas in on saturday before the shop closes - the luas stop is just around the corner from both my gaff and at the other end the celtic whiskey shop, so it shouldn't be too much hassle to leave poor aul bikey at home :)

without swallowing, it's hard to figure what the "burn factor" of a whiskey is going to be like..
    That's a very good point. Some sort of in-store stomach pump, perhaps....

That's a very good point. Some sort of in-store stomach pump, perhaps....

lol my parents told me to never waste anything - that would DEFO be counted as wasting good alcohol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Laphroaig is scotch, sure enough. The most flavoursome of all Scotches, probably. Not to everyone's liking.

I'd recommend Powers Gold Label and Powers 12, in partcular.

These are exclusively matured in bourbon casks, so they have a vanilla/honey flavour. I love them. Not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Redbreast is king. Of the standard stuff I really like Power's. I used to drink tullamore dew, paddy, jameson etc but Power's has more character to it. There's a more expensive variety of Power's but it's definitely not worth the extra cost (also jameson 12yr is disappointing). You might like Green Spot. Black Bush is really nice, oodles of character.

I know you say that "scotch just ain't your tipple", but that is just down to nationalistic prejudice. I was the same myself. Sadly, the expensive scotch reigns supreme, but you can't go wrong with a nice Irish for the price. I'm yet to be convinced of these Cooley whiskeys though. Connemara was a cheap imitation peated scotch, and Tyrconnell single malt wasn't up to much, maybe someone can suggest a good one? Not inclined to spend the cash on a cooley bottle after tasting those two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

I think most of the suggestions for Irish Whiskey are fairly on the mark.
    Even though you're not interested in Scotch, you might try a Johnny Walker Green label. This is a vatted malt unlike the Red, Black and Blue Labels, which are just blended.
    I was given a bottle of this about a month ago and it completely changed my outlook on Scotch.
    Apart from that, I can't really recommend another Irish.

Oh! and Bordnashea...you must be loaded...that GreenSpot isn't the cheapest tipple in the world! Obviously no recession in your part of the world.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Irish Whiskey ( is there any other kind :) )

Would have to go

Jameson 12
    Greenspot
    Powers
    Jameson
    Lockes

from the afforadable

to the really good but a bit pricey

Midleton VR
    Jameson 18

for the special occasions .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you're looking for a hint of vanilla definitely try the Greenore from Cooley. The 10yr had more vanilla going on than the 8yr or the 15yr but I haven't seen it in the celtic whiskey shop though. They're all fantastic in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

rediguana wrote: »

Greenore is an excellent starter whiskey. Its what got me in to Whiskey as its light, a little sweet and pretty smooth.

Im spoilt for choice where I live. Im 10 mins from the Kilbeggan distillery and 20 mins from Tullamore. Since Lockes in Kilbeggan is part of Cooleys they do all their stuff in the little bar/shop and will give you a taste if you ask.

Redbreast is excellent stuff, I also love Tullamore Dew, Im not to bothered with normal Jameson, Paddy or powers though though that is not to say I will not drink them. Jameson 12 year old is nice though, crested ten is ok but not worth the extra over a normal bottle.

Middleton if you can afford it is fantastic and will last for years as you only open it on a special occasion.

If you want to try some scotch but do not like something that tastes like an ash tray then get some speyside whisky like Glenlivet. I recently enjoyed a 15 year old Glenlivet and its like an Irish Whiskey almost. It was very smooth.

Saruman wrote: »
    20 mins from Tullamore.
    Where they make precisely no whiskey, if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I know you say that "scotch just ain't your tipple", but that is just down to nationalistic prejudice. I was the same myself. Sadly, the expensive scotch reigns supreme, but you can't go wrong with a nice Irish for the price. I'm yet to be convinced of these Cooley whiskeys though. Connemara was a cheap imitation peated scotch, and Tyrconnell single malt wasn't up to much, maybe someone can suggest a good one? Not inclined to spend the cash on a cooley bottle after tasting those two.

Why do you say it's nostalgic prejudice? I love Scotch, but people are just as capable of being prejudice against Irish whiskey as they are for it. In fact, I'd say the statement "expensive scotch reigns supreme" is prejudice.

The price of scotch doesn't mean that much. You can get great stuff for very cheap and crap stuff for lots of money.

The real advantage Scotch has over Irish is that they have many many more distilleries. Consequently, they're capable of producing more good whisky, volume-wise, and more crap whisky, volume-wise.

There is little terroir when producing whisky, so the fact that it's made in Scotland makes little differnece. There is an abundance of climates similar to that of Scotland around the world. Some believe Japan makes the best whiskey, others America, others again Scotland.

But I don't agree that a penchant for Irish whiskey means there's something sentimental involved. Neither do the most well-known whiskey writers in the world.

Where they make precisely no whiskey, if I'm not mistaken.
    True but its still a nice place to visit and I enjoy the tour.

"There is little terroir when producing whisky, so the fact that it's made in Scotland makes little differnece. There is an abundance of climates similar to that of Scotland around the world. Some believe Japan makes the best whiskey, others America, others again Scotland. "

I'd agree with this to a point - I've tried some Japanese whiskey and found it to be very good - very good indeed . Honestly I've yet to find a scotch that I really could like in so far as making it a regular tipple - the fact that there are so many to choose from makes this even harder - the more I've tried - and believe you me I've tried a load - the more I believe that Irish whiskey is far superior - and yes there's for sure a nationalistic biase here on my part.

One of the beauties of appreciating good whiskey is that I'll keep trying as many as I can and when I get a truly good scotch that I like I'll be the first to admit it - but for now for me it's Irish all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I had a few Greenore 8yos in Bowes today for €3.75 each. It's on promotion this month in various pubs (look for a poster behind the bar). Now is the time to sample it, and buy a bottle (also on promotion this month) if you like it.

Last month's special, Locke's 8yo, is rather tasty, and good value. I ended up buying a bottle.

The Minstrel: don't give up on the Cooleys yet. Tyrconnell 15yo is magnificent, as is the port finish 10yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

I have really enjoyed a couple of bottles of Green Spot blended for/ by Mitchells and usually available where they know their whiskey.

Redmonds of Ranelaghs have some bottles of this for €40. Thats cheaper than the Celtic Whiskey store: €45. Strangely, Redmond's tend to charge a fiver more than Celtic whiskey for a lot of the other brands.

Greenspot - definately one of my favourites -I saw it for sale in Dublin duty free last week - think it was 44.50 when within the EU and 19 if getting for real duty free

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

If your looking for some nice easy drinking whiskey that you have not tried yet maybe try the Irishman 70 a Pot Still & malt blend and quite tasty.

In relation to the Scotch / Irish Argument.

I feel the Irish do blends much better and are superior to most Scotch blends. Once you go to 12yo and up the quality of Irish blends is very high. Irish is my number one love but as mentioned already Scotch has some of the best whiskies in the world but also some of the worst ;)

However I feel you cannot say you like or dislike scotch as that is a nonsense statement. I do realise that there are so many of them out there that it is hard to know where to start. But scotch has a very broad spectrum from heavy peat with medicinal notes to ones with lovely smooth unpeated honeyed tones with heavy sherried stuck in te middle. This is very general so don't jump on it ;)

Do plenty of reading and start off easy once you have gotten a grip with the subject.

I also think it is a bit disingenuous to say Cooley's Connemara is a cheap imitation of scotch. Connemara is a fine whiskey and a decent peated whiskey but maybe not the peat monster that peat lovers want. Remember Irish Whiskey history goes back further than the pure pot still whiskey and unfortunately through IDL's long monopoly and marketing of Irish being smooth triple distilled it has coloured the worlds vision. Everybody now associates Scotlands triumph on Single Malt Scotch but nothing could be further from the truth. The scotch empire was built on the blend and single malt as a category only became an after thought in the 80's building into the 90's as the so called superior whisky.

Not everything is black and white and the full story is not always what IDL or SWA (Scotch Whisky Association) want us to believe.

I love all tyes of Whisk(e)y and believe that a good blend can be better than a single malt. I cannot claim to be an expert and don't want to sound like a know it all but I have had over 200 different Irish, Scotch, Japanese, US, Canadian, Swedish, German and New Zealand whiskies from over 100 different distilleries and still feel I'm only learning the basics. People really should explore a category before they dismiss it. Try a whiskey and challenge yourself and spend an hour with one drink and see how you get on. Also a cheap way to explore whiskies is buy mini's. If your looking for Scotch try an online seller.

Leave your prejudices at the door, do your own research and drink because to like it not because some says you should like it but be fair and objective.

For anybody worried about scotch whiskey being too much maybe try a Balvennie 10yo or 12yo Double Wood or a Dalwhinnie 15yo or pop up te north and get a Tesco Highland Malt 12yo well worth 15quid for a start into the unknown ;)

• Advertisement

I like the Connemara Whiskey, It is peated but does not have the ash tray taste that Scotch can have.
    I do like the Cooleys brands myself. I have a Kilbeggan at the moment and while not the best Whiskey, it certainly stands up for itself pretty well and its cheaper than Jameson.

Advertisement