Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haug admits new McLaren "Far too slow"

• 13-03-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭

Just as Brawn's sterling test pace is surprising, so too is the apparent struggle of reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton's employer McLaren.

Pre-season testing is often an unreliable guide to championship form, but former McLaren driver Fernando Alonso observed at Barcelona this week: "They have been testing with both drivers and have not done very well."

Ferrari's Felipe Massa, who lost the 2008 title fight against Hamilton by a single point, admitted surprise that the works Mercedes-powered team is regularly occupying the bottom places on the timesheets.

Unofficial word from the Woking-based team at the end of the test is that the car's problem has been identified and can be fixed in the run to Melbourne.

"They still can improve and they have another test that we don't have so they can find what is wrong, what is not working," Massa said.

"For sure it is surprising to see McLaren behind but we need to respect and wait for the first race of the season to have a clear idea about that," he added.

McLaren group chairman Ron Dennis this week put a brave face on the MP4-24's problems, but Mercedes' competition boss Norbert Haug is less guarded.

"We are far too slow at the moment but are going to work hard to get back to the front," he said in interview with Germany's Deutsche Presse-Agentur.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I wonder what humble pie tastes like?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Machman

I had been saying this, in another forum, for a good while now that the new McLaren was flawed. I think they went down a wrong path with their design, and recent efforts of cutting lumps out of the floor just smacks of desperation. I think they will have to make do with what they have and redesign a new one in time for the Europe races. I have been following F1 for a long time and always had a soft spot for Mclaren (mainly from the Prost days) but I'm laughing up my sleeve at this one...especially as Hamilton was at the back of the field during testing...:D and after his two crashes in testing... :rolleyes: .
    On the other hand, I'm delighted for Button, nice guy, deserves a decent car especially after the rubbish Honda gave him the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I wont believe anything until Melbourne but if they have ****ed up it will take a long time to sort out with limited testing in season! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gintonious wrote: »
    I wonder what humble pie tastes like?
    Humble Pie, the original dish dates back to 16th Century England and was called "umbles pie" — a meat pie made from deer umbles (the heart, liver, and miscellaneous innards). These less desirable meats would be taken home by the huntsman who killed a deer for a nobleman, while the nobleman would get the venison. The umbles would be baked into a pie to create a modest dish suitable for a poor man. To eat umble pie meant that you acknowledged your place in the social pecking order. A few centuries changed "umble" into "humble" and also brought about a significant change in meaning. Today, "to eat humble pie" refers to a change in one's circumstance, usually involving an admission of error and-or the making of an apology.

:D:D

McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh has admitted that the team is struggling for pace in testing at the moment, with both Kovalainen and Hamilton near or at the bottom of the timesheets on all four days in Barcelona this week.
    >> FULL STORY HERE << ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I always thought it was weird that they ran an 08 wing for so long. Wouldn't be the first time they ****ed up a new car. Remember a few years ago the one that was delayed and eventually never ran at all?

The McLaren team held a crisis meeting at their base in Woking yesterday, it has been revealed. Lewis Hamilton joined the meeting after returning from the Barcelona test to join team-mate Heikki Kovalainen, Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh and senior members of the team's technical crew.
    >> STORY HERE << :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Hopefully they get it sorted ASAP. All we need is a one horse race this season :mad:

Mena wrote: »
    Hopefully they get it sorted ASAP. All we need is a one horse race this season :mad:

Why not?
    It went \mc\larens way last year with reliability and having the best car out there.
    Lets see just how good "Beauty Boy" realy is in an average car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Seems like McLaren could be looking at another '2004'. I'd really like to see Hamilton struggling in a mediocre car. It'd be a good way of finding out whether or not he's a genuinely 'great' driver. He could well thrive on it, like Alonso did in the Renault last year, and pull off a few hard-fought results. Or he could get really pissed off, and become the next Jacques Villeneuve. Either way, it'll teach him a bit of humility.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    According to what I heard McLaren where having serious problems with airflow over from the front wing causing the ring wing to randomly stall. This would cause the rear of the car to become very light at high speeds, espcially in a cross wind. Hence the reason why Lewis went off once or twice. They were trying various different wings including last years wing.

That would explain it a bit alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

vectra wrote: »
    Why not?
    It went \mc\larens way last year with reliability and having the best car out there.
    Lets see just how good "Beauty Boy" realy is in an average car :D

+1 :D :pac:
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    According to what I heard McLaren where having serious problems with airflow over from the front wing causing the ring wing to randomly stall. This would cause the rear of the car to become very light at high speeds, espcially in a cross wind. Hence the reason why Lewis went off once or twice. They were trying various different wings including last years wing.
    If that is true the car could be unsafe to run in race conditions.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    +1 :D :pac:

If that is true the car could be unsafe to run in race conditions.

Well
    I did consider last years car unsafe once Hamilton was behind the wheel :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLoANg6nNY

The real reason for the loss of performance

The odd thing, Mclaren have next week testing, without the other teams present....

Get ready for some different times. The constant changing of panels and testing the dynamics of various setting will bode well for the rest of the season when testing is limited. Get ready for some strange rear wings..

McLaren have huge resources available and I cannot see them dropping off the chase.

The unknown factors, fuel loads, areas for testing......to loose two seconds against the other teams almost impossible.

LOL

Ferrari is facing "a slight disadvantage" heading into the 2009 season, its team boss Stefano Domenicali has admitted.

First, reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton's employer McLaren this week admitted its new MP4-24 is not ready to win races, and now the 2008 constructors' title winner has spoken with a similarly cautionary tone.

"Who, like us and our main competitors, was working until the last moment on the development of the 2008 car, might have a slight disadvantage compared to those who gave up last year and dedicated themselves and their resources to a new project," Domenicali said.

Maranello based Ferrari was believed to hold a slight edge on a close group of rivals this winter, but Domenicali admits last week's Barcelona test - remarkably dominated by the former Honda team Brawn - has blurred the picture.

Asked where Ferrari stands, Domenicali answered: "I don't want you to think that I'm avoiding an answer, but it's more difficult than ever to say anything about the levels on the track.

"Until a couple of days ago there was a great equilibrium between the different teams - some expected and some a bit less - and then there was Brawn GP's exploit. Their performance was incredibly surprising and they have to be watched with care.

"We think that we're part of the more competitive teams, but there are still many unknown factors to consider; we have to wait for Melbourne to get the answers," the Italian added.

Domenicali also commented on Flavio Briatore's assertion that up to three teams may be circumventing the new aerodynamic regulations in the area of the rear diffuser.

"We think that we've applied the modified regulations - after the works done by the OWG (overtaking working group) together with the FIA - to the letter," he said.

"It might be that others took a different approach; the FIA has to dissipate any doubt; let's hope they'll do if fast and clear."

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

I don't consider it sandbagging if McLaren itself is saying they have issues with the pace of their car. The BGP001 is at the top of the timesheets not just one day but all the days they were out on the track. It don't think it is just a matter of low fuel. Roll on Melbourne then we will now "for sure" who has the real pace. I'm looking forward to it.

Advertisement