Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a WM Phone

• 13-03-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

My 1 year gave my HTC Touch a dunking down the toilet and is dead.

So I'm on the lookout on ebay for a forced upgrade. Every cloud....:p

I'm been looking at the following off ebay.co.uk to get a judge of the sterling price.
    Touch HD £330
    Xperia £280
    Touch Pro £220
    Touch Diamond £160
    Omnia £200

Of course these are approx and are most likely slightly used phones. I'm thinking the diamond as its the cheapest. The Touch I found very slow but I got used to it. Its proc speed was 201Mhz and each of these are 500+ so I would expect a vast improvement along with the extra RAM. The onscreen keyboard which I installed was find too so I don't need a slide out one. I used the email+browser via wifi a lot. Not bothered with 3G so much now but maybe in the future.

Are there any other contenders I should be looking at? Or any recommendations? Are the others worth the extra money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The best of the bunch would be the HTC Touch HD and the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1i. I have the X1i and can say, after tweaking and installing several applications, that it is one of the best handsets I have ever used; including standard handsets.

The HTC Touch Pro2 and Touch Diamond2 are coming out soon, so you might want to wait for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Very nice. There'd be no way the kids will be let near one of those beauties! Very tempting.

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Very nice. There'd be no way the kids will be let near one of those beauties! Very tempting.

No doubt they'll grab it when you look away; you'll have no chance! :p

The new HTC Touch devices do look really nice. There's also the Samsung OmniaHD, that I forgot to mention in my last post, which should be out in the next few months. It has 720p video recording capabilities too. Great if you'd use it, but not so great if you don't.

Another beauty. These are all lovely and fully featured. But at the end of the day does the added features make me want to spend an extra few hundred. Maybe :). I need to do some review reading.

Starting at the bottom of my list to see if I should move to the next one on the scale. For any diamond users, what are the major pros and cons? Anything really annoying with it? Is it possible to load the latest stable rom to improve it maybe get some extra features.

Rsaeire, I see you highly recommend the XPERIA X1i. I know someone else who does too. I'll have to take a closer look.

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Another beauty. These are all lovely and fully featured. But at the end of the day does the added features make me want to spend an extra few hundred. Maybe :). I need to do some review reading.

Starting at the bottom of my list to see if I should move to the next one on the scale. For any diamond users, what are the major pros and cons? Anything really annoying with it? Is it possible to load the latest stable rom to improve it maybe get some extra features.

Rsaeire, I see you highly recommend the XPERIA X1i. I know someone else who does too. I'll have to take a closer look.

Good luck with the review reading. ;)

If you have any questions regarding the X1i, feel free to ask away.

• Advertisement

Found a good site which does a comparison of these phones. Plus a load of other reviews and videos. The guy doesnt like the keyboard or the recessed screen on the Xperia btw.

Just watched a video of the diamond and tbh I really like the look of it. And if I can pick up a decent one off ebay, I think that will be me happy. And not too pricey.

Still any other recommendations very welcome. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Of your list I only properly used the omnia and I didn't think much of it!

Best wm phone I've used: treo pro and asus p550 - but neither are 'hip' ;)

Advertisement