Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired network at home?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking to get a wired network installed in the house. Nothing big, just one cable from playroom to sitting room.
    Anyone ever get someone in to do this?
    Expensive?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's dead simple, but unless you want someone banging holes in your walls and running cables through your attic, any direct cabling solution would be inelegant and messy.

Sounds like what you need is powerline networking - this basically allows you to use the power cabling in your house as a computer network. Ideal if you're just looking to connect a single machine to a router elsewhere in the house.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10292

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for the reply.
    I had 85mbps homeplugs which were adequate for streaming divx etc from machine in one room to xbox (xbmc) in another.
    Now starting to stream 720p Hi-Def stuff from same machine to PS3. Upgraded to 200Mbps homeplugs which are much faster than the old 85 ones.
    Get about 50Mbps average throughput.
    So now my videos stream perfectly, but if I try to download soemthing at the same time, I get the odd stutter in the video.
    So running a cable is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aha.
    Well then you're really looking for properly installed and rated Cat6. Any electrician would probably offer to do this for you, but I imagine you'll do better with a proper network installer.

Also wouldn't go for the "just one room" option. I'd get all the main rooms wired up; Two sockets in each room, brought back to a patch in a closet or otherwise out of the way. It won't be cheap initially, but far cheaper than if you were to try do this piecemeal. At some point, you'll probably want to wire up the master bedroom, then the kitchen, and so on.

There's a user on here called FusionNet who does network installs and seems to know his stuff. He might not do residential stuff, but he may be able to help with rough costs and recommending someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Are you any good with a jackhammer?

... ah no seriously, this is simple.

Buy cable, run cable, surf the net.

Done.

EDIT: before people say its not "that simple" im not taking into consideration a number of design factors because if you are asking such a question then I assume that a Cat5e cable will do the job (no offence intended - jut letthing you know the most cost effective way).

On the other hand if you would like to do a but more just post back for advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Thanks for the plug Seamus!!

Ill help in any way I can so if ye need advice on it pm me.. Advice is free..

• Advertisement

Its the "Run Cable" bit thats got me.
    I can and have ran a cable from pc to PS3, but its not elegant. So what I want to do is get someone to run the cable either under floor or maybe outside?

garlad wrote: »
    Its the "Run Cable" bit thats got me.
    I can and have ran a cable from pc to PS3, but its not elegant. So what I want to do is get someone to run the cable either under floor or maybe outside?

Still I dont get ya. Its still running cable... but its in a different place.

Remember Father Ted --- > Dougal... those small because they are far away.
    These cows are big because they are closer.

:D:cool:

Its easy to run a cable from one room to another along the floor, but its another thing to run it under floor/up into roof, outside, etc.

Just looking for a rough estimate on how much it would cost me to get someone to do it, and who would you get? An electrician?

garlad wrote: »
    Its easy to run a cable from one room to another along the floor, but its another thing to run it under floor/up into roof, outside, etc.

Just looking for a rough estimate on how much it would cost me to get someone to do it, and who would you get? An electrician?

Okay, I get you.
    You're going to require a few pieces of equipment:
    2x ferrets*** (better idea to get two, very easy to lose a bad one) = 180euro
    50m Cat5e = 30euro
    Ferret food = 15euro (depending on quality, you could go for a cheaper brand but not recommended).
    2xCable holders = 30euro (one for each ferret)

1.)You'll need to cut a hole in the floor near where you router is located, insert a cable holder into ferrets mouth and attach the outer end to Cat5 cable.

2.)In the room where the Cat5 should be terminated, cut a small hole in the floor (not too big, you'd be suprised the size of hole they can fit through when hungry).

3.)
    Release ferret into floor and wait.

4.)If there are no results within 24 hours you can assume the Ferret is faulty and repeat steps 3. again with Ferret number 2.

*** Its wise to purchase good quality ferrets to get the job done right first time round. These can be identified as having a smaller nose as compared to the cheaper inferior ferrets you can find (see pic)

article_0027.jpg

You can read more about it here:
    http://www.zapgraphix.com/articles_0027.html

If you have any questions jus shoot me a PM I may be able to help out.

Kind Regads,

iRock

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

best post ever!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

or, you could hire a proper installer and save on the ispca calls!! oh and the smell!

Advertisement