Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I vote that Smart Telecom should take over Eircoms Phone Lines

Options
  • 13-03-2009 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I personally think that the country would be a lot better off. IF Eircom had its infrastructure taken off them and given too Smart Telecom to Develop.

Of course very short sighted of me but Just my 2c.

At the same time, why can't Smart be any quicker about rolling out to all the exchanges

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Terra wrote: »
    I personally think that the country would be a lot better off. IF Eircom had its infrastructure taken off them and given too Smart Telecom to Develop.

Of course very short sighted of me but Just my 2c.

At the same time, why can't Smart be any quicker about rolling out to all the exchanges

................................Makes perfect sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unfortunately it's not up for a vote.

As to the delays in Smart getting into the exchanges, it's a very costly process, not helped by our useless regulator who do everything in their power to stifle competition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What should have happened day one is what is currently happening to the ESB.

Eircom should have been split into two separate companies, Eircom Consumer and Eircom Networks. The Network part should have owned all the phone lines, exchanges, etc. and should have been kept semi-state, while Eircom Consumer would have owned all the customers they had at that stage and should have been privatised. This would have created a level playing field for all and probably much more competition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Smart will run into exact same problem as Eircom....money, its not worth rolling ADSL out to an exchange an investing all the money into a equipment when only maybe 100 users will get ADSL from that exchange.

As for smart rolling out in Ireland, Terra I suggest you read up on how LLU works and what it costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Smart are also good because they are a small company with relatively new technologies. If they took over Eircom's infrastructure, they'd probably run into all the problems eircom are having with it.

• Advertisement

... hold on... just before my vote gets counted... I was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I had a call from somebody in Eircom recently...she was trying to tempt me back to them from BT. When I finished laughing, she assured me that Eircom Retail (her side) and Eircom Wholesale(who look after the network) were two separate companies and that the treated all of the retail service providers the same.
    That's when I started laughing again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

exaisle wrote: »
    I had a call from somebody in Eircom recently...she was trying to tempt me back to them from BT. When I finished laughing, she assured me that Eircom Retail (her side) and Eircom Wholesale(who look after the network) were two separate companies and that the treated all of the retail service providers the same.
    That's when I started laughing again....

B&B wanted to split them and sell off the retail side. This never happened. It is possible that there is a split of sorts but they definitely are all still Eircom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

bk wrote: »
    Eircom should have been split into two separate companies, Eircom Consumer and Eircom Networks. The Network part should have owned all the phone lines, exchanges, etc. and should have been kept semi-state, while Eircom Consumer would have owned all the customers they had at that stage and should have been privatised. This would have created a level playing field for all and probably much more competition.
    Rofl. You know BT in UK has this split right? With a regulator that actually gives a damn and can put preassure on the companies involved. Well let me tell you working in Telecom we would be looking at 5+ days to get the Network unit to go out where as if the customer was BT it took 1 day to get it done. How do I know it took the customer 1 day? Because we had complaints from every single BT customer after they went over to our company if this problem happened and as the line was owned by BT Network we could not touch it.

If you want it to really work you have a full state owned network that the rest can lease themself in on. This should be in combination with local networks owned by the cities etc. to create one individual back bone and several local rings. Then you can actually have competition; nothing less will work in practice (unless you're a big enough country with tight enough population to motivate pulling fibre by private companies).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If smart got hold of the infrastructure nothing would happen. They are in a position right now where they can pick and choose where they go.

The governemnt nees to take control of the network and sell off the copper, after they have run fibre to every house in the country via ESB lines. It will pay for itself over time, lease the infrastuircture to any ISP that wants it. It will turn a profit after a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I just wish something could be done at a quicker pace.

Reality is that a lot of businesses that could have been located in the country areas in Ireland, choose not too due too the poor network connectivity.

I just wish some organisation would take over the lines and roll out a good country wide network.

I guess just have to wait for the ESB to get all its fibre going, but been hearing about this for years and still there isn't much too show for as far as I can see.

I realise of course that smart wouldn't be able to do a better job then eircom, but I jsut wish you could at least avail of a smart type service everywhere and not just in a limited few places.

Boosting the network in ireland would also boost jobs in ireland.

Look... we're f**ked... end of story

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

I just wish something could be done at a quicker pace.

Reality is that a lot of businesses that could have been located in the country areas in Ireland, choose not too due too the poor network connectivity.

I just wish some organisation would take over the lines and roll out a good country wide network.

I guess just have to wait for the ESB to get all its fibre going, but been hearing about this for years and still there isn't much too show for as far as I can see.

I realise of course that smart wouldn't be able to do a better job then eircom, but I jsut wish you could at least avail of a smart type service everywhere and not just in a limited few places.

Boosting the network in ireland would also boost jobs in ireland.

How would it boost jobs out there on the hills of Offaly and Sligo :) ?

Upgrades are ongoing in major cities, but no one will invest money in upgrading exchanges in the midle of nowhere. Why would you spend 200K on equipment when you get an income of maximum 7K/year from that exchange ???? Probably you would, if you don't have anything else to do with your money ! :)

The ideea is: You want decent BB ? .... move to a city, if not be happy with dial-up and ISDN :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

sz_danii wrote: »
    How would it boost jobs out there on the hills of Offaly and Sligo :) ?

Upgrades are ongoing in major cities, but no one will invest money in upgrading exchanges in the midle of nowhere. Why would you spend 200K on equipment when you get an income of maximum 7K/year from that exchange ???? Probably you would, if you don't have anything else to do with your money ! :)

The ideea is: You want decent BB ? .... move to a city, if not be happy with dial-up and ISDN :)

You are bat poop crazy, you could apply the same logic to electricity and water supply. To me the internet is just as important.

Move to the City my arse. Do you have any idea how rural Ireland works? How the feck do you think food gets on your plate? Should a farmer move to the city too?

I would leave people like you to fend for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

You are bat poop crazy, you could apply the same logic to electricity and water supply. To me the internet is just as important.

Move to the City my arse. Do you have any idea how rural Ireland works? How the feck do you think food gets on your plate? Should a farmer move to the city too?

I would leave people like you to fend for yourself.

Why don't Smart and BT roll out to rural Ireland? Why haven't UPC built their cable network out to rural Ireland?

For the same reason eircom are reluctant to i suspect. They are private companies that need to make money for their shareholders. The Govt and very bad planning are to blame not the private companies. Ever hear of water schemes even the govt won't pipe water to every house half way up a mountain. If the ESB was a private company building a new network they wouldn't dream of spending tens of thousands of euro to serve one or two houses.

You don't build a super pub 15 miles from the nearest village.

Life in the country is a trade off i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

bk wrote: »
    What should have happened day one is what is currently happening to the ESB.

Unfortunately, the Govt gave all pre-84 staff (and by default pre 95 staff) a guarantee that they cannot lose their jobs.(They pay Civil service rate stamps and so would not be eligible for dole).
    If eircom were to be broken up into a network and retail company, the retail side would fold rapidly from having to maintain a lot of these staff.

Seemingly the large no of staff is one of the reasons why eircom line rental is so high.They are not allowed (by comreg) sell below their cost base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Unfortunately, the Govt gave all pre-84 staff (and by default pre 95 staff) a guarantee that they cannot lose their jobs.(They pay Civil service rate stamps and so would not be eligible for dole).
    If eircom were to be broken up into a network and retail company, the retail side would fold rapidly from having to maintain a lot of these staff.

Seemingly the large no of staff is one of the reasons why eircom line rental is so high.They are not allowed (by comreg) sell below their cost base.

Very interesting comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Your not looking hard enough. ;) Its on a large amount of the HV lines, it doesn't travel on the low voltage conductors that you would see in towns or near housing. On some of the newest lines you wont even see it because its runs inside the conductor its self.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It doesn't matter who runs it, the smaller companies always look better than the biggest

Thats how it works

Advertisement