Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picture Agencies

• 13-03-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any experience of working with such businesses?

I have been looking into the possibility of working with one (or more) in a bid to get myself up and running this year.

Has anyone got any ideas, tips, advice when it comes to this type of work?

I guess its pretty much a case of keeping my "ear to the ground" for anything which is even of the slightest interest and getting it sent to them in the hope they find buyer, but beyond that its all a little hazy.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ok, a positive reply from one agency.

A little bit more info...
    We are a Picture Agency, not a Stock Image Site, you as the Photographer send us images that you think will be of interest and we then make sure that the relevant publications and Media groups get them on their Picture Desks. We actively persue the sale of your pictures to our clients.

Not really anything i hadnt guessed.

These guys seem fairly new, which obviously has its drawbacks in comparison to other, more established agencies.
    However in order to build up a portfolio of images, and of course more experience and ability then this seems like a good place to start.

They also have very little representation in Scotland, which again has its pros and cons.

They have sent what seems a fairly basic contract, nothing seems untoward.
    Images are subject to approval, they can use images for their own publicity etc etc.

So...is it a good idea to go for it and see how it works out?
    If it doesnt seem to be working then i can pull out by just not sending them anything (there are no minimum submission requests so i wouldnt be in breach of contract etc)

Can i use the fact i am backed by an agency as leverage in terms of accreditation etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Whats the % split?

60-40 in my favour.

I understand that may be a little high, but at this point in time im not looking to make a living soley out of this.
    And if they manage to sell my images on a regular basis then i'll be happy enough (for the time being)

I'm still learning, still enthusiastic, and definetly willing to put in the work....its just a case of making the right step rather than blundering into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thats not bad actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

What type of images will you be submitting? Will it be news/events/sport?
    Interesting way of generating more sales and the split isnt bad... 60% of something is better than 100% of nothing..

• Advertisement

shepthedog wrote: »
    What type of images will you be submitting? Will it be news/events/sport?
    Interesting way of generating more sales and the split isnt bad... 60% of something is better than 100% of nothing..

Thats a decision i have still to make.

I sent them a portfolio which was mainly made up of Event/"Celebrity" and looking at my contacts i reckon that would make up my main body of work for them.

However their remit does include things like sport & gigs, areas which certainly interest me but i have only minimal experience in.
    If this could be a good starting point to gain more experience then i would happily take it.

To be honest i dont really see a downside at the moment, but as i said if anyone has any experience of this side of the business be it good or bad, or just general advice on how to go about getting myself organised then i will be happy to take it all on board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

What is the situation with regards ownership of copyright?

I have removed the agencies name as im unsure about the commercial side of the post in terms of boards rules.
    2. GRANT OF AUTHORITY: The Photographer hereby appoints ___ as an exclusive sales agent to license Images to third parties within the context of ___ business. By uploading Images, the Photographer warrants and represents that he or she is the sole and exclusive owner of all Images delivered to ___, both now and in the future. The Photographer warrants and represents that he or she has the unrestricted right to license the said Images.___ is appointed sales agent only, and in no way may claim ownership or any interest in the Photographer's Images. In the event of bankruptcy or any other liabilities incurred by ___, the Images owned by the Photographer shall not be represented as an asset of ___ or offered as any type of security on behalf of ___

I'm gonna send it off tomorrow...**** it, what have i got to lose?

Maybe the whole idea will give me a kick up the arse and get me to organise myself! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Can you PM on the website?

• Advertisement
Advertisement