Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partioned, second hand computers

• 13-03-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I looking to buy three second hand machines. I want to be able to partition them and place multiple operating systems on them.

The specs for each machine would be:
    Memory no less than 256 MB, HardDrive: hard drive size doesnt really matter), Networkable, Internet Accessible.

I need a one monitor and keyboard with a switch between the three machines

machine 1 will take Windows (XP, Vista at least)
    machine 2 will be for Unix (Solaris, Linux)
    machine 3 will be a MAC (10.5, 10.4, 10.3)

Can anyone recommend a shop where I can buy the machines and even better recommend someone willing to setup the machines for me?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There's often cheap PCs on Adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 testingeek

I'm in Rathfarnham, Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mande01

What are you up to?

If it's testing, you are probably better off using vmware, cheaper, more efficient, can share hardware resources between OS's, less space, less power, can have all booted up at once, etc...

or try to get laptops.

I'm in waterford, with a room full of old PCs & laptops. I really need to clear them all out and get one or two good pc's

Regards,
    Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

I'll have a few old machines going up onto adverts.ie tomorrow along with a load of Cisco gear. I'll post again when I've spec'd them up and let you know whats there.

Would also go along with VMWare as the best option for test environments. Dualboot is going the way of the dodo.

Tara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 testingeek

thanks for the advice on vmware.I'll look into it...would you suggest getting one big decent machine? Care to throw up any specs?

Hiya,

I'll be posting a second-hand Dell Dimension 8100 up onto adverts.ie over the next couple of days. Basic spec is P4, 768MB RAM and 150GB hard disk. Solid machine, good for messing about. If you're buying something new, the RAM is what you're going to be concerned with. Disks are pretty big now and proc will be fine too.

Nice thing with VMWare is you can back-up your "machines" and keep them safe. If your main box goes down, all you need do is install VMWare again and restore your backed up machines. Lifesaver.

Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

testingeek wrote: »
    thanks for the advice on vmware.I'll look into it...would you suggest getting one big decent machine? Care to throw up any specs?
    Buy yourself a low end server from HP or Dell and use a virtualisation solution.

Overkill.

I was running 4 machines all at once (including Server 2003 Standard and SQL Server 2005) on a HP XP Pro laptop with 2GB RAM and a Centrino proc.

Tara

Advertisement