Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone at Home - P2P terms?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I am thinking of switching from BT to Vodafone at home, in order to get the benefits of free calls to vodafone mobile and cheaper rate for 7.6Mb with free landline calls.

However, looking at their tarrif page:
    https://www.vodafone.ie/df/modem/homebroadband/otherathomecharges/;jsessionid=3ABB524E9437156C4E10ACDA5BE8D841

I see this:
    "The service may not be used for peer to peer data usage."

Can anyone with Vodafone at Home tell me if there is an issue with using torrent clients?
    Or is this just typical of most Terms&Conditions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

Simple question:

Is there anyone with Vodafone at Home using bitTorrent?
    And if so have they ever noticed being throttled or ports blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

not using vodafone myself, but on NTL/UPC. if you are capped while downloading files though BitTorrent, you may want to have a look at www.ivacy.com... VPN service with locations in UK, US and Russia. Getting very nice speeds while downloading though these. also could get around the Eircom snoops and the music downloads... Handy too since if you connect though the UK you get to use BBC iPlayer, and connecting to the US you can watch Hulu and the likes...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I’ve been using it for bit torrent for close to a year and not experienced any problems until about a week ago. I’ve rarely gone over the cap. When I do use it is often for around 10Gb in a day or so maybe 3 times a month, rest of the time is just a bit of browsing. Weekend before last I noticed that even web browsing was really slow after I had downloaded about 11Gb in a few hours. Felt like it was being throttled. My traffic has mostly been via private trackers with a fairly stable 250 to 300 kB/s on my 3Mb package. I’ve not had a chance to get online to check it out properly since then. It could just have been some temporary network issue I’m not sure. First time I’ve noticed anything really.

Advertisement