Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you finding it hard to get work inthe Cork area at the moment?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,

Just wondering if people through out the county are finding it hard to find new jobs as some people that I have spoken have had many interviews for opportunities in smaller towns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Yeah, I've heard from some college friends of mine that it's much more difficult than other years. My younger cousin who is in 1st Year in UCC is trying hard but no luck. Even those going on J1s to America are a bit worried now. Most people seem to be talking about Canada this year for some reason. I'm a Mum of a young lad who is a few years away from looking for a summer job so I hope things have improved in the next 8 - 10 years.

Spotted on another thread about the record numbers of people signing on for the dole in West Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

From the other side of it, my husband's company were looking for someone and were inundated with applications from people who weren't even remotely qualified for the job. It seems there's alot of panic and people are applying for everything and anything. The person who eventually got the job was an Irish person who was working in England for years - he was coming home because things were getting tight over there too.

Nice to hear your story, Munster Gal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 randomcorkgirl

There are jobs out there but u just have to look...and be open to anything... i have been looking since jan and i finally got one this week. im starting on thursday! Take out the phone book and ring up every single company in your area of work...http://www.fas.ie is good for jobs too...
    seriously you need to work at getting a job... its not going 2 fall into ur lap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Congrats on the new job! You're absolutely right, they say you should treat jobseeking as a job in itself and devote your energies to it as you would a 'real' job. I've heard so many times that a sizeable percentage of jobs aren't even advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 randomcorkgirl

Congrats on the new job! You're absolutely right, they say you should treat jobseeking as a job in itself and devote your energies to it as you would a 'real' job. I've heard so many times that a sizeable percentage of jobs aren't even advertised.
    thanks!!!!
    And ur completly reinforcing my point. thank you

Advertisement