Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head wrecked - 5800 or E71 ?

• 13-03-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Right so.
    Her indoors is signing up for a plan on O2, also have birthday coming up => I may be getting a new phone :)

Right now I have an E61 and N82. Love them both - the E for browsing and posting with Opera Mini - screen size and QWERTY,
    the N for imaging and goofing around with new apps on. Plus a tiny bit of gaming.

Now, the choice is E71 or 5800 ?

I know I'd use the E71 loads, but is it a better enough experience to justify the spend ?

Obviously the 5800's screen is beautiful, but has anyone gone from Qwerty to touch without cracking up when trying to enter text ? Also, are the images on the 5800 any better after the firmware update ?

Any thoughts { bedsides "get both") much appreciated.

E71 or 5880 18 votes

E71
    0%
    5880 express music
    66%
    deRangedSparkyObskuretowel401Oafley JonesRsaeirechavezychavezgcgirlstreckerdrunkmonkeyTheAlmightyZeus1sttimebuild 12 votes
    Keep your money in your pocket
    33%
    VenomLoGiEMimikyujoe_dunneLeoGillysmilgy 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

5880 express music
    Doooooooooooooooon't!

Have had an e71 for 6 month; before that e61, n95, n95/8 and a dozen other phones incl. iPhone 3g etc...

The 5800 is rubbish! The accessories in the box are 'worth' more than the phone imho!!!
    Cam is actually much better than expected. Musicperformance is excellent.
    The rest is ridiculous! Again: I'm a bit of a nokia fan, but that phone is the worst ever!!! I would take it for free as a nice mp3 player with cam. As a phone/sms/email/browse converger it's sh*t!!!!
    I returned mine after 2 days! And yes, the fw is probably part of the issue, but come on: even for 'cheap' the built is poor! Just look at the stylus and battery cover ffs!!!
    And they really f*cked up the s60 ui!!! No wonder developers are so slow to adapt! They have a lot to change before the n97 hits the markets!!!

Really, if you need more than a bit of a fun musicphone, stay miles away!

If music, the odd photo and calls are ALL you want, by all means, get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

5880 express music
    I chose the E71 as I don’t like touchscreen only handsets. I prefer actual keys to use and not the touchscreen implementations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I chose the E71 as I dont like touchscreen only handsets. I prefer actual keys to use and not the touchscreen implementations.

Couldn't possibly agree more. You can still text without looking on qwerty (after a bit of practice anyway), but a touchscreen would mean you'd have to look at the screen the whole time to make sure that your input is being picked up.

The camera on e71 isn't great at night or in darkness but during the day is actually fairly good.
    And if you want a music phone, just get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for the e71. Microsd are dirt cheap so you'll have plenty of storage and there's plenty of media software available that you can play with.

5880 express music
    Couldn't possibly agree more. You can still text without looking on qwerty (after a bit of practice anyway), but a touchscreen would mean you'd have to look at the screen the whole time to make sure that your input is being picked up.

The camera on e71 isn't great at night or in darkness but during the day is actually fairly good.
    And if you want a music phone, just get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for the e71. Microsd are dirt cheap so you'll have plenty of storage and there's plenty of media software available that you can play with.

Oh, yep:
    In my rant state re. 5800 I forgot to say just how very good the E71 is!!!
    I didn't plan to replace it. The 5800 was supposed to be a fun-side-project... Piece of plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

5880 express music
    I got an E71 recently, and while it's my first smartphone, I think it's great.
    I don't like the idea of the touch screen. I spend a fair amount of time using the web site of it, switching seamlessly from wireless access points to paid internet. I find that fantastic, really easy to manage.
    As far as the music/radio side - I've no idea. I've no interest whatsoever in that.
    It's a work phone for me - read docs and pdfs on the train home sort of thing.

The camera is crap, but I use a 400D as a walkaround so that's not really a fair comparison.
    Get the E71.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm actually in the same boat, was actually seconds away from buying a 5800 in an o2 shop yesterday, but i decided against it. I have an e61 at the minute, i have been trying to decide whether i could live with a touch screen as apposed to a qwerty pad. And hearing all the reports of how messy the interface is on the 5800 i'm starting to lean towards an e71.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'm actually in the same boat, was actually seconds away from buying a 5800 in an o2 shop yesterday, but i decided against it. I have an e61 at the minute, i have been trying to decide whether i could live with a touch screen as apposed to a qwerty pad. And hearing all the reports of how messy the interface is on the 5800 i'm starting to lean towards an e71.

So glad to hear I'm not the only ditherer around here.

A workmate (non-ditherer) went out and got a 5800 a couple of days ago - he was good enough to let me have a play.

Touchwise I've had a HTC TyTn for a while before. It was a great machine but the WinMo drove me nutty (abiding memory is messing with connections all the time).

Anyways, the 5800 is a joy to use with Opera Mini. Doesn't have kinetic (flick) srolling but the screen is oh so nice. Did have one OM crash but the firmware hadnt been updated.

I was using the stylus a fair bit, but had no bother with T9 on the number pad. Mind you, I wouldn't be tackling a post like this on it.

At the same time, I can't see meself getting the same speed from the E71 keyboard as from this trusty E61 due to biggish fingers.

Haven't had a decent go on a real E71 though. Picked up a dummy display model a while back - the keyboard does seem very usable. 3 on the top of Grafton St have one half behind a plastic container. You can just about mess with it. Seems much much faster than the '61 but the screen is a fair bit smaller. Anyone care to give a word on this ?

If I did get the 5580 for sh1ts and giggles I'd nearly have to keep the E61 for posting, doing emails as well.

Thanks for all of the comments so far.

Strecker, while the new UI is a bit pernickety I didn't find it anywhere near as bad (personally). I know my workmate is very happy with his - he upgraded from an N70. Also, it seemed to do quite well on the torture tests from what I read. Plastic is not as pleasing as E metal though, I'll give you that.

Ronny M, I've had those connectors for a 6120 Classic I used to have. Not much better than the Pop port tbh. You still have to carry an extra lead with you. (Ii wish someone would figure out a way of storing the converer somewhere on the main headphone set)

5880 express music
    E71 is much much much faster than your e61 (I still have one).
    I usually have musicplayer 'hidden', o.m. is alway on. As is the email client' screensnap etc...
    Yes, screensize. When I first heard e71 was gonna have a smaller screen than e61 I wasn't too happy, but it doesn't matter. Quality is top notch. Sunlight? No worries.
    In browser etc you can set to a larger font if you want - since it's much faster scrolling/panning is much faster too. Even in opera mini which is a speedy app anyway, everything works a tad faster and smoother with the 71. Video playback is excellent.
    In low light the cam is atrocious, but actually not bad in daylight.

You don't need an adaptor for great music: sennheiser sell a great set of earphones with a 2.5mm jack. The sound's not n95 good, but it's clear and really loud!
    Email setup's a breeze, battery life is fantastic. I can use joikuspot for hours to use the E's wifi/net with my netbook. The E's battery goes on and on...
    My only gripe's the screen cover. The plastic is not very scratch resistant. Which is a shame considering the sturdy quality of the rest of the phone. My e61 looks almost as new after 3 years of heavy ab-use, while my e71 already has minor 'scratches' on the screen... Though admittedly, I could probably be more careful hahaha..
    Never dropped a call, and using it as a modem for my Ubuntu pc via usb I have downloaded updated of 40-50 mb without a 'stutter'. Can surf for hours without a dropped connection.
    Top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

We have both of these in our house. My wife and daughter have the 5800 and I have the E71. I do like the e71 - its a quality handset and the only thing that lets it down is screen size. Its just a little too small for useful browsing.

The 5800's are great. They are not E71's and are never going to replace my E71 but they are good. The UI does work - yes the double click here and single click there is a pain for 5 seconds but then you get used to it. I've heard from Symbian that this is going to change with an fw update.

BTW - neither my wife or daughter had ever used S60 before and both never bothered to read the user guide that came with their phones. They didn't need to which something about how straightforward the phone is to use.

Me - I'm waiting for the N97 (or the E version of it). Touchscreen (and big screen) plus the physical keyboard to give me the speed for typing.

long_b wrote: »
    Right so.
    Her indoors is signing up for a plan on O2, also have birthday coming up => I may be getting a new phone :)

Right now I have an E61 and N82. Love them both - the E for browsing and posting with Opera Mini - screen size and QWERTY,
    the N for imaging and goofing around with new apps on. Plus a tiny bit of gaming.

Now, the choice is E71 or 5800 ?

I know I'd use the E71 loads, but is it a better enough experience to justify the spend ?

Obviously the 5800's screen is beautiful, but has anyone gone from Qwerty to touch without cracking up when trying to enter text ? Also, are the images on the 5800 any better after the firmware update ?

Any thoughts { bedsides "get both") much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

5880 express music
    long_b wrote: »
    has anyone gone from Qwerty to touch without cracking up when trying to enter text ?

i've gone from touch qwerty (LG Viewty) to qwerty e71, I think in fairness to the Viewty the querty keyboard was not that bad, when they made the querty keyboard smaller on the Renior that was my romance with touchscreens over....e71 FTW!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

5880 express music
    Mr.S wrote: »

Personally, i'd go for the 5800, the e71 buttons are to small for me.

I got the e71 when it first came out, sent it back after 2 weeks with the same complaint, buttons to small, then I got an iphone(doh!).... 2 weeks later I got the e71 one again....i've got over the small button thing, pretty used to it now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've only messed with the E71 in the shop. Buttons seemed tiny. Do you really get used to them? I thought the BlackBerry 8900 had a much better keypad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If you don't mind waiting or buying unlocked, I'd say the E75. you have the candybar for most of the time with a slide out qwerty when you need it.

http://europe.nokia.com/A41485359#/main/landing

5880 express music
    BostonB wrote: »
    I've only messed with the E71 in the shop. Buttons seemed tiny. Do you really get used to them? I thought the BlackBerry 8900 had a much better keypad.

No problem! Takes a day or so to get used to! Due to the shape they are easy to hit, and it's simple to use with one hand! I now find the e61 a lot more awkward when I use it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

personally I'd go for the E71.

I got a 5800 but couldn't get my head around the touchscreen, so it's here at home in its box. Use my E71 for emails and web-browsing while commuting and the sat nav now and again, and the battery life is superb.

Otherwise maybe you should wait til the E75 is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Thanks for all of the replies folks.
    In the end my decision was made for me. O2 have a reduced rate no-handset plan for business so in the end her indoors went for that.

May be able to skive an upgrade off a sibling, so there is still a chance of a 5800 :)

Advertisement