Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Limerick Writer

Options
  • 13-03-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have just finished reading The Paupers Graveyard by Gemma Mawdsley and I must say i thought it was and excellent read, brilliantly written, couldnt put it down.
    Its great to hear someone from our own county doing well. Best of Luck to her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sounds like my kind of book.... thanks for the recommendation! Description from Amazon:
    Deep in the corner of this graveyard lies the cause of such unrest, Jack Carey, christened 'Black Jack' by those who knew him in life. Death has not stopped his tormenting. His evil moves through the soil like a tentacle, tainting everything it touches, spreading misery and unrest. It moves over the bones of the dead. A dark shadow, that prods them awake, and this would have continued throughout time except for the ambitions of one man, a builder. Grim and fast paced, this remarkable debut novel is an exploration of loss and tragedy. When the teeth of the big earth movers disturb the bones of those that lie in fretful sleep they start a chain of disaster that results in the resurrection of a terrible evil that was buried among the famine victims. The planned dream homes became the stuff of nightmares for their occupants, as Black Jack Carey is once again released, to torment both the living and the dead. It would have been wiser to let him sleep.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know her son!
    He never told me she was writing a novel... :(

Sounds like it's worth a read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 smurf311

Just finished reading the Paupers Graveyard, could not put it down, an excellent read I would recommened it to everyone, Gemma Mawdsley is a brilliant writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Regency Black

One word 'WOW'.

An absolute fantastic addictive page turning read. I was quite literally unable to put the book down. One thing did upset me though, the book ended.

What next from this Limerick author? I for one cannot wait.

I would 100% recommend this book.

Well done to the author, well done!!

Hi Gemma (or one of Gemma's friends/family members)
    Welcome to boards...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

well of course some of us know her or know of her, its limerick and limerick is a very small place.
    I thinks its great to hear that of positive things coming out of Limerick,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mr E wrote: »
    Hi Gemma (or one of Gemma's friends/family members)
    Welcome to boards...

Her son has actually started posting on Boards in the last few days, but not in this thread yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

An File wrote: »
    Her son has actually started posting on Boards in the last few days, but not in this thread yet...

Sooo is posting a problem.? I started the thread I'm only a friend of a friend.. I got it because I was told about it, loved it and thought Id post it, thought is was great because its something positive coming out of Limerick. We have so many posts about people being stabbed or killed in Limerick I thought this would make a nice change...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Don't think it'd be my type of book, but good luck to her, great to see talent being recognised.

I did not realise that by adding a positive post I would cause anyone grief. I only posted because a friend recommended this as a good blogging site.

In regards to the actual book & its author, to confirm, 'No, I do not know the author - however I would love to meet her/him (well, the name on the book could be a pseudonym) as I really enjoyed the book. If his/her son does look at these posts, to him, I ask if it would be possible to meet him/her, perhaps at a book signing? Surely there must be some scehduled for the Limerick area!

Finally, to re-highlight the subject of this thread, the book is a great read... which I thouroughly enjoyed!!

• Advertisement

I'm only taking the piss, Regency Black. :)

I'll be picking this up at the weekend based on all the recommendations here - I'm always on the lookout for a good book, and the fact that its by a local author is a bonus.

Ah no problem Mr. E

If you're looking for some good recommendations have you ever read anything by Terry Pratchett?

Advertisement