Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number porting question

• 13-03-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

When porting a number, porting to Three from o2, do they call to confirm on your temp Three number, or the number you wish to port, in this case the o2 086 number?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The number you wish to port. The point is to prove that you own the number you want to port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The number you wish to port. The point is to prove that you own the number you want to port

I was thinking that was it alright, just wanted to be sure as I only have the one phone here right now and did not want to miss the call by having the wrong sim inserted.

Cheers Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I was thinking that was it alright, just wanted to be sure as I only have the one phone here right now and did not want to miss the call by having the wrong sim inserted.

Cheers Sam

Just in case they call the three number for some reason you could set up a call divert to the o2 one

They did not call on either phone, it has just changed now..........I am not sure how legit that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Did you sign a form putting both numbers down to authorise the port? I think networks feel they are covered on prepay with this as the forms that you sign says that you aren't lying etc etc and have full permission / ownership or all numbers involved.

Personally I've never liked the prepay porting process in Ireland and found it to be way too open to abuse. The UK have a good system where you call your existing operator and they give you a code allowing you to port which you then give to the new provider. The downside is the porting process can take a couple of days in the UK I believe. I think we need a combination of both.

• Advertisement

Yes, I know from experience it can take a ferw days in the UK to get things moved. It was also the case where the original operator cut service and the new one did not take over until the next day. Effectively leaving me without that number for a day.

I was impressed with how fast it moved here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When I ported with 3 I filled out their online form requesting the port. I didn't sign any form and they never called me to confirm anything. Port was done in 2 hours.

Can I move back to o2, say this coming week? If I wanted to?

Sure, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Random wrote: »
    Personally I've never liked the prepay porting process in Ireland and found it to be way too open to abuse. The UK have a good system where you call your existing operator and they give you a code allowing you to port which you then give to the new provider. The downside is the porting process can take a couple of days in the UK I believe. I think we need a combination of both.

I prefer the old system they had over here. you walk into a shop, give them your number and they give you a sim with that number. no hassle, security verification checks bull**** or any of that. sure someone could take your number but its unlikely they would bother. they wouldn't have the number for long anyway and they couldn't do much with it

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Sure, why not?

I am thinking I might have to move back, I have an iphone and I cant seem to get it to stay on Three's network for anymore than a few seconds, it keeps falling back to vodafones network........and then will not go back to 3G.

What will happen to my 3 Sim card if I port back? Will it get its old number back? Or will it be junk?

It will be killed so yes it will be junk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've always been tempted to port someone I don't like to three, just because their process is wide open to abuse. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I've always been tempted to port someone I don't like to three, just because their process is wide open to abuse. :pac:

they'd never actually know they been ported to three though.

it would be funny if the old sim card would work on the new network and they suddenly start receiving texts about 'swing both ways' and their new 3pay price plan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

towel401 wrote: »
    they'd never actually know they been ported to three though.

it would be funny if the old sim card would work on the new network and they suddenly start receiving texts about 'swing both ways' and their new 3pay price plan
    I know.

They just have a phone with no network coverage.

When they finally realise what is going on, it only gets worse because they are now on three :pac:

They will have an almost impossible task in trying to port back.

I know.. and they loose all their credit too..

/mr burns excellent.

Advertisement