Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice wanted from all bikers, beginners to experienced

• 13-03-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Well, last week for the first time I had a proper try of a motorbike and really liked it. As Im 16 now and will be getting a job this summer its something Im giving serious consideration to. I have a couple of questions and any help would be appreciated.

Well first of all, I'd be going for the A1 licence I think, is there any real need for me to get or consider a 125cc over say a 50cc? The bike would mostly be for short runs to shops, friends houses, going around the countryside the odd time when Im staying in my holiday house. The vast majority of the time, I doubt I'd be going anywhere further than 10km.

Now, on the bike question. For my summer job I'd be expecting to take in somewhere around 2500-3000 euro, I'll need to get a bike and insurance for this, already have a lid from when I had a mini-moto, it was 150-200, I assume it will be ok for riding a normal sized bike? (still fits fine)

With that kind of money, I'd assume from what I've seen in my brief checks I should be going for something second hand about 3-5 years old for a good deal. I have a pet hate for mopeds and don't even want to consider one, I'd be much more inclined to choosing something along the lines of a trail bike such as something like the Yamaha DT 50 R. After brief checks, it seems the average second hand price for one in decent condition is 1500? Is that the normal price for a 50cc trail bike second hand or is it generally more expensive for big name brands?

Are motorbike shops generally in Ireland considered helpful or friendly, being a complete beginner to the motorbike world it would be quite easy for me to be tricked into buying the wrong bike / product.

Open to any suggestions and help, thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

insurance is gonna be high for ya. I never seen a dt50 going around so i cant help ya with the price. My opinion would be to go for a 125 or 250 starting off. At your age i think the 250 option is out the window.
    Regarding lids. People always say check the make blaa blaa blaa. They all have to go through the same safety checks.
    Best of luck in you 2 wheels (and 1 wheel) life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Apply now for the permit as compulsory training is coming in. It will be on a trial period first and then might be rolled out nationwide!

Get lessons before you hit the road (pun is intended). Big difference between a mini-moto and driving on the road.

Like all garages you will get good and bad so research online before you go.

Check out biker.ie and irishbikerforum for info, wealth of knowledge in these sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Go straight for the A license
    He's 16.
    You can pick up a second hand 125 cheap enough. If you go for a non sporty 125 eg ybr, cg the insurance wont be that much different to a 50cc, try the Aon and Quinn online calculators for a rough guid to what the insurance is on different bikes. I have never ridden a 50cc motorbike so i have no idea what their like.
    Get some training and do the Aon/Quinn assessment you will get a discount on insurance, and learn skills that might save your life.

Advertisement