Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What info is available on bluetooth connection

Options
  • 13-03-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

If a device is to make a connection to another bluetooth device [mobile phones]
    What information is available there..

Basically doing research on project, Setting up a computer that pics up devices in it proximity and sends a personalised MMS etc, so for it to be personalised i need their phone number to match it with DB etc etc

as far as im aware its not possible to get phone number via bluetooth at all?

any work around? or other info id be able to receive [besides device name]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Placebo wrote: »
    If a device is to make a connection to another bluetooth device [mobile phones]
    What information is available there..

Basically doing research on project, Setting up a computer that pics up devices in it proximity and sends a personalised MMS etc, so for it to be personalised i need their phone number to match it with DB etc etc

as far as im aware its not possible to get phone number via bluetooth at all?

any work around? or other info id be able to receive [besides device name]

Isn't there a Unique ID for Bluetooth, like a MAC address for Network cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

But say customers get new sims, so i have their info matched to their phone number, but they could be using any device, i.e new MAC address

So basically they would need to run an app which would send me the mac address+ enter in theyre phone number if i was to do anything yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Phone numbers are not available over bluetooth. All bluetooth devices have a unique mac address which can be used to identify a specific device.

thanks

would it be possible to develop an app that gets the bluetooth id and send it automatically via an sms ? or an app that gets the bluetooth id and the phonenumber and posts it to a database [gprs]

Just thinking out loud here, you could probably write a mobile phone application, that communicates over Bluetooth. The Application could query the phone's operating system for the number, and send it via Bluethooth.

Remember, Bluetooth was designed to be an all-encompassing connectivity standard, not just for mobile phones. This probably explains why you can't pull phone number type information just using the Bluetooth standard.

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert on this kinda thing, just offering a suggestion. :)

• Advertisement

yeah that makes sense, thanks but not sure if its even possible to retrieve a phone number via an OS as im reading its that the number is not stored on the phone or sim ?

Placebo wrote: »
    yeah that makes sense, thanks but not sure if its even possible to retrieve a phone number via an OS as im reading its that the number is not stored on the phone or sim ?

Ah, it would have to be somewhere, wouldn't it? Again, I am no expert, but I would imagine the phone number would be somehow accessible via the OS.

Actually, just checked my iPhone and it is showing the wrong number. :D I presume the number it is showing me is associated with the SIM, which originally was a Meteor number, but I ported over my O2 number.

So maybe you can't. :)

yeah i dont think you can at all,
    further more, sending an sms via an app requires phone to have Wireless Messaging API (WMA), and the message does not appear from the phone itself but a different number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

The Phone number belonging to a sim card is not stored on the phone or the sim card. AFAIK, the sim card number is tied to the phone number at the provider's end on a database.

Either way.. I know of no API's on Symbian or MS that provide the mobile number to the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If your computer acts as a hands free bluetooth device and has been connected as such with the phone, then you can make the phone jump through hoops.
    You could have it ring a device controlled by you to get the number.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms881893.aspx.

Also the info available to you depends on the profiles supported by the mobile.
    For example if it supports the phone book access profile as a phone book server, then you could read that information once bluetooth connected.

Or if the phone supports the dial up networking protocol profile, then an AT+CNUM might give the subscriber number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement