Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rep of Ireland should be ready

Options
  • 13-03-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭

Firstly I understand that it is hard to predict what will happen so it is hard to be ready these days, but giving the current situation up north, it's sort of made me think.

Secondly. I know most people are propeberly thinking, this is going to be like my other thread I made a while back where I bascially said Ireland needs a plan for emergencies such as therrorist attack but giving the current situation with these dissidant republicans it has made me think that maybe I'm not so crazy to think we need a plan

Thirdly. Do you think the Rep of Ireland should be ready for the events of an IRA attack? I know it sounds kind've stupid, but these dissidents are unpredicatible. On the Adrian Kennedy show on Monday Republicans phoned up calling us(The Republic) Traitors and sell outs, And that made think about the RIRA's opinion on the Republic. They don't care anymore, they look at us as traitors and therefore they'll most likely look at us as the enemy as well, therfore no one is safe from these terrorists. Not that they didn't already pose a threat us anyway but i'm just syaing, giving the RIRA's recent activity in the North, there's no telling whether or not they might try to do something on Republic soil. Who's to say that tommorow a soldier in the PDF might get shot outside Cathal Brugha barracks, or a garda even when he's walking the streets in Rathmines where they frequently patrol. Should the Republic sit on the arse waiting for the IRA, or should we do something before it's late. I don't want there to be anymore deaths caused by the IRA, here or in the North. I want peace between the two nations and Britain, but the IRA won't give us peace, not until they decide that this ancient rivaliry they have with Britain is over which is most likely never to happen as long as IRA dissidents continue to poison children's minds with this misguided vision of fighting for a United Ireland and down with the Brits, there will be no peace. But I don't know what do you think

BTW I know my thread is morely directed at the Rep of Ireland, but I also mean Northern Ireland too, when I say we need to be ready because we're all in this together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Society can't let itself be dictated to by a handful of simpletons who don't know when they've lost.

These idiots will die out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Even morally retarded, dissident murderers need a support base.

And you can't bomb people into supporting your cause - only into resenting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Didn't you get Willie O' Dea's Emergency Handbook. We also have the Office of Emergency Planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If the UFF/ UVF/ etc were still smoking guns i'de be worried about retaliatory murders all over Ireland, but they have openly stated that (on this occassion) they are not going to embark on revenge attacks .......

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that support base was out in force last night petrol-bombing the police. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that support base was out in force last night petrol-bombing the police. :(

Just went looking for a link to this and "NI Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde has said there are 300 dissident republicans involved in a campaign to destroy the NI peace process ... Reports say officers were pelted with stones and petrol bombs were hurled at PSNI vehicles."

from http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0315/northviolence.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Relax. Minister of Defence Willie O'Dea will sort this :)

The Irish military & Gardai have worked with the British forces before to prevent the IRA from using Ireland as a base, and somehow I doubt they've stopped simply because of the peace process. There is a history of co-operation between our two countries, and I hope it continues.

As for terrorist attacks on this country, I'm sure there's plans in place. Somehow I expect they're pretty crap plans, and would likely fail in the extreme, but we've never really been attacked before. We'll just have to learn just like any other country thats on the receiving end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Riddle101 sez...
    On the Adrian Kennedy show on Monday Republicans phoned up calling us(The Republic) Traitors and sell outs, And that made think about the RIRA's opinion on the Republic. They don't care anymore, they look at us as traitors and therefore they'll most likely look at us as the enemy as well,

This is something which has been REALLY worrying me in recent days.
    In common with MOST Leinster Based citizens of the Republic I know many many people who now travel up to Northern Ireland on a regular basis to do their shopping.

This situation,brought about in part by the poorly considered actions of a less than competent Minister for Finance,has altered the very basic lifestyle of THOUSANDS of Irish Citizens.
    Today we learn that this Minister now recognizes the error of his VAT Increase,yet has no idea of what else he can do except to further drag the country down to the level of his own personal lack of ability.

Now,the worrying aspect for me is that to the likes of the "Patriots" who operate on the fringes of the Republican Movement every Citizen of The Republic who travels across the Land Frontier is doing so voluntarily and thereby supporting Her Majesty`s Treasury to a very significant degree.

If anybody just looks at an aerial shot of the Approaches to Newry they can see scope for the sort of thing we associate with Israel or the Palestinian question.....

It`s a scary thing to be contemplating but I sure hope somebody other than some raving juiced-up lunatic "Freedom Fighter" is doing the thinking !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

It irks me when people refer to this fictional country of the 'Republic of Ireland'. The name of this country is IRELAND, not Rep of Ireland, If you wanna start a thread about the security of this country, you could at least get the name of the country right.

• Advertisement

It irks me when people refer to this fictional country of the 'Republic of Ireland'. The name of this country is IRELAND, not Rep of Ireland, If you wanna start a thread about the security of this country, you could at least get the name of the country right.

There is a difference... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My 'impression' is that that the security forces in the Republic are far less ready to deal with a terrorist outbreak than their counterparts in Northern Ireland.

There is a difference...

Yes there is..... :)

Its even more marked too.... :)

During the Emergency (1939-198?) the State had huge stencils painted on the landscape to warn beligerent avaitors of the country over which they were flying.

I think they used the OFFICIAL name of the country as laid down in Bunreacht na hEireann.....

The Name of the Country shall be ÈIRE.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Camelot wrote: »
    My 'impression' is that that the security forces in the Republic are far less ready to deal with a terrorist outbreak than their counterparts in Northern Ireland.

Well in fairness, the amount of attacks in Northern Ireland far outstrip those in Ireland so thats fairly easily explained

AlekSmart wrote: »
    During the Emergency (1939-198?) t.
    Eh the Emergency was what we called World War 2 1939-1945, I'd advise ya brush up on your history ;)

I think,if checking is called for,that you`ll find that in the immediate aftermath of the War,known elsewhere as The Second World War the fledgling Irish State had so much to attend to that the actual declaration of an Emergency was never rescinded.

This was only noticed in the 1970`s (from memory) when a civil servant needed to make some intricate reference to an Act of the Oireachtas only to find it was governed by a continuning State of Emergency.

I believe(again from memory) that the Dàil of the day had to officially pass a motion officially ending the Emergency,many decades after it (WW2) had ended globally.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem !! :)

Thanks WiKi !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Come on, our police are much better at planting evidence :P

I think,if checking is called for,that you`ll find that in the immediate aftermath of the War,known elsewhere as The Second World War the fledgling Irish State had so much to attend to that the actual declaration of an Emergency was never rescinded.

This was only noticed in the 1970`s (from memory) when a civil servant needed to make some intricate reference to an Act of the Oireachtas only to find it was governed by a continuning State of Emergency.

I believe(again from memory) that the Dàil of the day had to officially pass a motion officially ending the Emergency,many decades after it (WW2) had ended globally.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem !! :)

Thanks WiKi !!!

Ah right I didnt know that, thats very interesting! :)

Apologies for my ignorance lol we were never told that in class! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I think for the time being at least, when discussing Ireland, north & south, it can be helpful to use the term "Republic of Ireland" simply to differentiate between the two entities, particularly for those non Irish contributors and subscribers who may otherwise find it confusing.

After all the term is acceptable to the Irish Government and used extensively by various departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

After 20 posts, have we decided which country we're talking about yet, or do we take it as read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is it possible that the f-wit who phoned up Adrian Kennedy was a paid actor. They (the radio station) have definitely used this tactic before.

Regarding the RIRA hitting down south; there's no way they can discrimate over those who support their campaign and those who don't.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mrtaylor1981

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

And you can't bomb people into supporting your cause - only into resenting it.
    But their supported by the morally retarded. I would not underestimate the fanticism of these murders and their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I think they used the OFFICIAL name of the country as laid down in Bunreacht na hEireann.....

The Name of the Country shall be ÈIRE.

Article 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/static/256.htm

Took 10 seconds to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

May I ask how you formed this impression?

I'm going to assume you have first hand experience of what's going on in the DF and Gardai with regards Intel etc. that has helped you to form such an impression?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

i think that an attack in the republic would be a very unwise move for these 'dissidents' as the irish government would be forced to track them down and would leave them fighting a two-front war against the norths and the republic's security forces not to mention the loss of support from moderate dissidents and their supporters in the south.

am i wrong in thinking that these people are so elusive because of the apparant ease with which they can cross the border? any attack on the republic would make this more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

By their actions over the last week these people have already committed an attack on the Republic. We have guaranteed that we will allow the principle of consent to be the governing factor in the future position of Northern Ireland and by attacking there they have attacked here.
    These people have no mandate and the support of only a few misguided throwbacks, along with the usual guttie element that just likes to cause mayhem. I never thought I'd see the day when I would agree totally with Martin Mc Guinness but that day came when he called them traitors. I've yet to hear any of them say what we have to gain from their actions and that's because there is nothing to gain.
    The security forces, North and South, should have our complete support in rooting them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

did Dev not intern IRA men during WW2 and then when they went on hunger strike let them die? i think the state should go out of their way to crush these criminal outcasts once and for all,99% of the population of the island wont not give a toss about seeing the backward inbreds rot in jail for the rest of their lives

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dresden8 wrote: »
    And another ten seconds to find the Republic of Ireland Act, 1948:
    It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland.
    Can we stop having this stupid conversation now, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Does the constitution not trump all?

Advertisement