Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rep of Ireland should be ready

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Camelot wrote: »
    My 'impression' is that that the security forces in the Republic are far less ready to deal with a terrorist outbreak than their counterparts in Northern Ireland.
    Your impression is incorrect. Two examples from my own personal experience, the ARW practice dealing with dissidents. I've seen evidence of that. Plus all known supporters and activists in the Republic (as opposed to the North of Ireland) are watched overtly by Special Branch. To the extent that people seen to be involved with or friends of them are stopped and questioned. This is a regular occurence and ongoing.

If anything the security forces here are better placed to deal with them than the North.
    Is it possible that the f-wit who phoned up Adrian Kennedy was a paid actor. They (the radio station) have definitely used this tactic before.
    Not just possible, it's likely he was a set up. It's so blatant it's a wonder they get away with it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dresden8 wrote: »
    Does the constitution not trump all?
    Unless you can clearly show that the 1948 Act is unconstitutional (hint: there's a difference between the name of a state, and the description of a state, and it's equally valid to refer to a state by its description as by its name), this silly conversation is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

this silly conversation is over.
    Can we stop having this stupid conversation now, please?

I have a suspicion this one could run and run..... :p

Great legal minds have been exercised over less important items.....Remember the long running saga of Mhuine Beag vs Bagnalstown many years ago...and more recently Dingle....

Is there not a provision somewhere within the Irish Statute Book which sez that in the event of a divergence of meaning between the two Languages the IRISH version shall have precedence ?

Next !! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Unless you can clearly show that the 1948 Act is unconstitutional (hint: there's a difference between the name of a state, and the description of a state, and it's equally valid to refer to a state by its description as by its name), this silly conversation is over.

Well, no, I've never taken the 1948 Act to the Courts so of course I can't prove it's unconstitutional.

You're still wrong though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dresden8 wrote: »
    You're still wrong though.
    What have I said that is incorrect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh, good lord. When you get threads about the level of readiness of security forces in the event of a terrorist attack that switch into a thread about what the country is properly to be called in all online references, no wonder this country (which henceforth I shall call "that near-bankrupt pseudoCatholic country west of Wales" in the hope that everyone will whine about it so the actual topic of conversation never gets addressed) has been doing little for the past few months other than mutual finger pointing.

If the terrorists decide to take us down, they'll just try to get directions to the local post office, that'll confuse us.

Do you guys know where someone is talking about if they use the phrase "Rep of Ireland"? Good. Now stop deliberately turning your knickers inside out before declaring that they're twisted. It just looks silly. Even in that near-bankrupt pseudoCatholic country west of Wales, which I currently call home.

Officially, "Ireland" is the name of the state. It's also the name of the island, which is why "Republic of Ireland" is officially the description of the state, as a state that de facto covers a large portion, but not all, of that island. Now, if people were pushing the "Eire" mantra, you might have a point, but seriously, to tn-bpCcwoW citizens like myself, you're just wasting electrons.

Wasn't the point of this thread the readiness of whatever this country is called?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought that this was the TV forum where a discussion was taking place about the "moving" island in Lost.:o

"Sceptre and Crown come tumbling down"....... :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

but seriously, to tn-bpCcwoW citizens like myself, you're just wasting electrons.

Too clumsy, how about Eire. It says it on the stamps and the passport. There really is no such place as Ireland. This word was forced on us by the English when came here to start '800 years of oppression'. Damm their black hearts. ;) Na hEireann, Eirinn and Eire are the only true titles of this Holy Country, West of Wales (HCWW) or Cymru (HCWC). I'm proud to be a Fir Eireannach, just not proud enough to learn to speak the language.

On the other hand, how about ROI, that seems to have taken off lately. Like USA, UK, it's shorthand. 'Hi there, I'm Paddy, all the way from the ROI.'

PS: The odd thing about 'Eire' is that when an English person uses the term. We Irish (Eireannach) all get offended as if it was some kind of insult even though it's the official name of the country in our own language. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not just possible, it's likely he was a set up. It's so blatant it's a wonder they get away with it.

So.... why are we having this conversation when the only "evidence" is a faked radio-show phone-in...? I mean - has anyone from the RIRA actually stated that they might consider the possibiltiy of targetring the republic? Ever?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Too clumsy, how about Eire. It says it on the stamps and the passport. There really is no such place as Ireland. This word was forced on us by the English when came here to start '800 years of oppression'. Damm their black hearts. ;) Na hEireann, Eirinn and Eire are the only true titles of this Holy Country, West of Wales (HCWW) or Cymru (HCWC). I'm proud to be a Fir Eireannach, just not proud enough to learn to speak the language.

On the other hand, how about ROI, that seems to have taken off lately. Like USA, UK, it's shorthand. 'Hi there, I'm Paddy, all the way from the ROI.'

PS: The odd thing about 'Eire' is that when an English person uses the term. We Irish (Eireannach) all get offended as if it was some kind of insult even though it's the official name of the country in our own language. :confused:

Well, I can't see what the issue is since you're writing in English.. Republic of Ireland works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Camelot wrote: »
    If the UFF/ UVF/ etc were still smoking guns i'de be worried about retaliatory murders all over Ireland, but they have openly stated that (on this occassion) they are not going to embark on revenge attacks .......

I think the problem is that they have no one to launch revenge attack on.

i.e.
    cannot attack Sinn Fein
    cannot attack PIRA
    cannot attack Catholics/Nationalists

cannot find RIRA/CIRA

so who is left to attack?
    Maybe they will murder some of the people where the petrol bombs were being thrown?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Sweet Jeebus, why all the BS about the name of the country?

We are called Little Britain, everyone knows that.

We are called Little Britain, everyone knows that.

Hmmm R u sure...I thought that was Wales...Àn Bhreatain Bheag...??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Firstly I understand that it is hard to predict what will happen so it is hard to be ready these days, but giving the current situation up north, it's sort of made me think.

Secondly. I know most people are propeberly thinking, this is going to be like my other thread I made a while back where I bascially said Ireland needs a plan for emergencies such as therrorist attack but giving the current situation with these dissidant republicans it has made me think that maybe I'm not so crazy to think we need a plan

Thirdly. Do you think the Rep of Ireland should be ready for the events of an IRA attack? I know it sounds kind've stupid, but these dissidents are unpredicatible. On the Adrian Kennedy show on Monday Republicans phoned up calling us(The Republic) Traitors and sell outs, And that made think about the RIRA's opinion on the Republic. They don't care anymore, they look at us as traitors and therefore they'll most likely look at us as the enemy as well, therfore no one is safe from these terrorists. Not that they didn't already pose a threat us anyway but i'm just syaing, giving the RIRA's recent activity in the North, there's no telling whether or not they might try to do something on Republic soil. Who's to say that tommorow a soldier in the PDF might get shot outside Cathal Brugha barracks, or a garda even when he's walking the streets in Rathmines where they frequently patrol. Should the Republic sit on the arse waiting for the IRA, or should we do something before it's late. I don't want there to be anymore deaths caused by the IRA, here or in the North. I want peace between the two nations and Britain, but the IRA won't give us peace, not until they decide that this ancient rivaliry they have with Britain is over which is most likely never to happen as long as IRA dissidents continue to poison children's minds with this misguided vision of fighting for a United Ireland and down with the Brits, there will be no peace. But I don't know what do you think

BTW I know my thread is morely directed at the Rep of Ireland, but I also mean Northern Ireland too, when I say we need to be ready because we're all in this together

I'm not sure if the above is a serious question. But from looking at PIRA and the distain they had for the 26 county state and the weapons and technology and support they had, PIRA wouldn't dream of any sort of attack, now there were a few incidents of shooting ROI forces, but in no way would they have done it.

As for the RIRA. Well I would assume they are organised the same way as the provisionals were, I would imagine they have kept "General Army Order No.8" in place, which states according to the green book, that under no circumstances whatsoever are 26 county forces to be engaged, and it should be stated that any weapons found are solely for use against the british forces of occupation.

The Republic is far too important an operational area for groups like this, PIRA people have stated it in countless books.

I'm sure we can all be rest assured that RIRA won't do anything to us down here.

They're fckin mad either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Stones85 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the above is a serious question. But from looking at PIRA and the distain they had for the 26 county state and the weapons and technology and support they had, PIRA wouldn't dream of any sort of attack, now there were a few incidents of shooting ROI forces, but in no way would they have done it.

As for the RIRA. Well I would assume they are organised the same way as the provisionals were, I would imagine they have kept "General Army Order No.8" in place, which states according to the green book, that under no circumstances whatsoever are 26 county forces to be engaged, and it should be stated that any weapons found are solely for use against the british forces of occupation.

The Republic is far too important an operational area for groups like this, PIRA people have stated it in countless books.

I'm sure we can all be rest assured that RIRA won't do anything to us down here.

The provos may not have taken any deliberate direct military action in the Republic but their actions in the North led to others taking such actions.
    The fact is, attacks against the Republic don't have to be direct military actions, any action that has a destabilising effect on the North will have a knock on effect here.
    I think it's a selfish attitude to have, hoping that trouble will be confined to N.I. In 1998 we signed an agreement recognising the integrity of the N. I. state, this was supported by almost 95% of the electorate, now at the first hiccup, all people seem to worry about is "how will it affect us?".
    In effect we recognised N.I. as a friend and to paraphrase the old adage, "the enemy of my friend is my enemy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Stones85 wrote: »
    Mad, deluded, anti-democratic or oblivious to the wishes of the majority of people living on this island...the list is endless when it comes to those ignorant animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

so who is left to attack?
    Maybe they will murder some of the people where the petrol bombs were being thrown?

and nothing of value would be lost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Firstly I understand that it is hard to predict what will happen so it is hard to be ready these days, but giving the current situation up north, it's sort of made me think.

Secondly. I know most people are propeberly thinking, this is going to be like my other thread I made a while back where I bascially said Ireland needs a plan for emergencies such as therrorist attack but giving the current situation with these dissidant republicans it has made me think that maybe I'm not so crazy to think we need a plan

Thirdly. Do you think the Rep of Ireland should be ready for the events of an IRA attack? I know it sounds kind've stupid, but these dissidents are unpredicatible. On the Adrian Kennedy show on Monday Republicans phoned up calling us(The Republic) Traitors and sell outs, And that made think about the RIRA's opinion on the Republic. They don't care anymore, they look at us as traitors and therefore they'll most likely look at us as the enemy as well, therfore no one is safe from these terrorists. Not that they didn't already pose a threat us anyway but i'm just syaing, giving the RIRA's recent activity in the North, there's no telling whether or not they might try to do something on Republic soil. Who's to say that tommorow a soldier in the PDF might get shot outside Cathal Brugha barracks, or a garda even when he's walking the streets in Rathmines where they frequently patrol. Should the Republic sit on the arse waiting for the IRA, or should we do something before it's late. I don't want there to be anymore deaths caused by the IRA, here or in the North. I want peace between the two nations and Britain, but the IRA won't give us peace, not until they decide that this ancient rivaliry they have with Britain is over which is most likely never to happen as long as IRA dissidents continue to poison children's minds with this misguided vision of fighting for a United Ireland and down with the Brits, there will be no peace. But I don't know what do you think

BTW I know my thread is morely directed at the Rep of Ireland, but I also mean Northern Ireland too, when I say we need to be ready because we're all in this together

Bit ridiculous and over the top.........

Bit ridiculous and over the top.........

As was Omagh,and so many other "operations" so beloved of those whom I think Riddle101 is attempting to depict ?

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    As was Omagh,and so many other "operations" so beloved of those whom I think Riddle101 is attempting to depict ?

Well i personally could think of different words to describe Omagh other than "ridiculous" and "over the top" but if you think that sums it up, fair enough.

Tragic, horrific, inexcusable, any of those adjectives, seems to me, more apt in describing the Omagh bombing.

I described the OPs post as ridiculous and over the top. Which in my opinion it is. Regardless of what or who he's trying to "depict"-"we need to make a plan", "prepare for an IRA attack on Rebublic soil", seems like hysterical scare-mongering to me. A little ridiculous even. And yes. Over the top.

What sort of plans is he suggesting incidentally? Stupid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Why are people so worried about the CIRA and RIRA? They're small groups without siginificant arms or support. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't drag the north back to the way it once was.

andrew wrote: »
    Why are people so worried about the CIRA and RIRA? They're small groups without siginificant arms or support. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't drag the north back to the way it once was.

The same could have been said of the Provos in 1969.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

bmaxi wrote: »
    The provos may not have taken any deliberate direct military action in the Republic but their actions in the North led to others taking such actions.
    The fact is, attacks against the Republic don't have to be direct military actions, any action that has a destabilising effect on the North will have a knock on effect here.
    I think it's a selfish attitude to have, hoping that trouble will be confined to N.I. In 1998 we signed an agreement recognising the integrity of the N. I. state, this was supported by almost 95% of the electorate, now at the first hiccup, all people seem to worry about is "how will it affect us?".
    In effect we recognised N.I. as a friend and to paraphrase the old adage, "the enemy of my friend is my enemy".

I'm not saying that we shouldn't think about Northern Ireland either, I understand their plight as well, and if possible maybe the South should help Nothern Ireland whatever way we can. I.E Cross Border checkpoints again. But i'm just saying that these Dissidents seem intent on destroying the peace process and although they've been relatively peaceful to the South at times it seems that things might not be the same nowadays. I just think that they are starting to act like unpredictible renegades pr mad dogs if you prefer who don't care about who's side is who, they'll still attack anyone they deem the enemy or a friend of the enemy I.E the South. I apologise if my comments seems to be giving off that I only care about the South's problem rather then the Norths but this thread was primarily focused on how the South would deal with IRA activity
    Wheely wrote: »
    Well i personally could think of different words to describe Omagh other than "ridiculous" and "over the top" but if you think that sums it up, fair enough.

Tragic, horrific, inexcusable, any of those adjectives, seems to me, more apt in describing the Omagh bombing.

I described the OPs post as ridiculous and over the top. Which in my opinion it is. Regardless of what or who he's trying to "depict"-"we need to make a plan", "prepare for an IRA attack on Rebublic soil", seems like hysterical scare-mongering to me. A little ridiculous even. And yes. Over the top.

What sort of plans is he suggesting incidentally? Stupid.

You call it scare-mongering i call it being extra careful. I'm not saying we should start stockpiling on food and rations for a nuclear war or something or start looking over our shoulders every second of the day but I'm basically saying that with all the peace process stuff going on, both Ireland and Britain seem to have dropped their gaurd a little on Paramilitary activity, maybe they have kept on monitoring activity i don't know. All i know is, is that these recent attacks have come out of the blue and in the off chance of an IRA attack on the Republic, would we be ready for such an event, I believe in planning for the future and thus i've always wondered about plans for possible future terror attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

Interesting thread. The IRA bombed Dublin Castle in 1940 in retaliation for the deaths of two hunger strikers who had been interned after the IRA went on the offensive in 1939 and stole ammunition from the Irish Army. Two IRA men were executed for murder of two Garda in the same year. If dissident Republican activity intensifies them similar measures may be needed.

Unionists will never consider a united Ireland unless the South can demonstrate that it is prepared to take tough measures to protect Northern Unionists from Republican dissidants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The same could have been said of the Provos in 1969.

...except that the provos in 1969 had quite a lot of support from catholics in the north and the south, not to mention a lot of guns.

andrew wrote: »
    ...except that the provos in 1969 had quite a lot of support from catholics in the north and the south, not to mention a lot of guns.

At their inception the Provos did not have much support at all and what weapons were available to them were of poor quality, hence the gun running activities which our much lamented?? late Taoiseach was not involved in. The real groundswell of support began after the housing purges of 1970.

You call it scare-mongering i call it being extra careful. I'm not saying we should start stockpiling on food and rations for a nuclear war or something or start looking over our shoulders every second of the day . I believe in planning for the future and thus i've always wondered about plans for possible future terror attacks

Ok fine, call it being extra careful if you want. I think its a little hysterical, i think it is scare-mongering, over the top and a little ridiculous. Thats my opinion. Now and 1969 are not comparable-to whoever else made THAT slam dunk point. Theres no way were at whatever point you seem to think were at where we need to think about escalation. Because that is essentially what your talking about. Escalation. Its all a little too George W for my liking-maybe good for a Sindo feature but beyond that, a waste of everyones time

At their inception the Provos did not have much support at all and what weapons were available to them were of poor quality, hence the gun running activities which our much lamented?? late Taoiseach was not involved in. The real groundswell of support began after the housing purges of 1970.

Yeah, maybe you'll admit to some contexual differences tho? Bogside, UVF, systematic civil rights violations.......

NOT COMPARABLE!

Its bad enough people, we don't need hysterics to try and make out things are worse than they are. Gain some perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

"cannot attack Sinn Fein
    cannot attack PIRA
    cannot attack Catholics/Nationalists"

But remember these are sensible, rational thoughts and these people are not sensible. These are killers who thought that men delivering pizzas were legitimate targets. By that standard there are several hundreds of thousands of people in the island who are fair game in their eyes. As they become angrier and more frustrated they might be tempted to do literally anything.We should exclude nothing.

Advertisement