Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Topic-Please Help!

Options
  • 13-03-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

My son is in 6th year and did his research topic last year. He says the teacher took it up and never gave it back. The teacher is saying nothing! Anyway he has to do it again. He doesn't seem to be able to settle down to it. I'd help him but I don't know where to start. He wants to do it on Galipolli as he is half Turkish. He read a book from the Turkish point of view and also watched the film more than a year ago. He says he can't remember anything.
    I suspect it wasn't done very well the first time anyway.He's very laid back.
    I'm desperate and don't know where to start helping him. Has anyone got any helpful ideas, please? When does it have to be in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think it needs to be done on the end of April, can't remember the exact date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Did he ask his teacher about it?

If he 'says he wants to do it on Galipoli' wouldn't this mean he's just starting the project, not that he has it done already and if he put in lots of effort and research into it last year, surely he would remember some of it. No offence, but are you sure your son did this report last year?

.. just checked 30th April is final date for submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Howdy, from the advice of my teachers and so on id stay away from broad topics and focus on a specific incident. For example instead of doing an entire battle, gallipoli, do a week or month that was particalary significant. Also i wouldn't panic about the time. After getting all of my materials together i wrote up the bulk of my project on one Sunday but I'd advise starting immediatly. The revision book Shortcuts to Success is incredibly useful aswell, with about 30 pages dedicated to the research project. Anyting else you think I could help with Pm away:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Jess11 wrote: »
    My son is in 6th year and did his research topic last year. He says the teacher took it up and never gave it back. The teacher is saying nothing! Anyway he has to do it again. He doesn't seem to be able to settle down to it. I'd help him but I don't know where to start. He wants to do it on Galipolli as he is half Turkish. He read a book from the Turkish point of view and also watched the film more than a year ago. He says he can't remember anything.
    I suspect it wasn't done very well the first time anyway.He's very laid back.
    I'm desperate and don't know where to start helping him. Has anyone got any helpful ideas, please? When does it have to be in?

For my research study I found tons of great books on Amazon.com. If you type 'Gallipoli' in to the Amazon book search loads of books come up that may be of interest. He may not need to read the entire book, if time is precious, he could just scan through it for key points. Once you have your research done the essay is very essay. I just took down points in an A4 pad as I was doing my research and then wrote up the essay from the notes I'd made. As far as I know for Higher Level you need three main sources, two books and one other source. You need an Outline Plan 15 marks, An Evaluation of the three main sources 25 marks and the Extended Essay is 60 marks- the extended essay has to include a review of the research process. There are books which explain exactly what these sections have to include and the word limitations.

The deadline is 30th April so he has a bit of time. What a nice mother :) My mum would never take this level of responsibility for my school work! Don't worry too much though, it's his Leaving Cert and it's up to him if he wants to put the work in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

Think it's recommended one of your sources is an internet one, not 100% on that though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jess11

Thanks a lot to all of you for all your help and suggestions.
    Think he did do it last year,but I suspect, not very well.
    I feel a bit more confident now about giving him some help, if he lets me!
    Didn't have to do this in my day. Thanks again. Jess

Advertisement